Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Ferguson had some very good games for Scotland. He was clearly a decent player. Anyone who attended Scotland games at the time could see it, those who watched on TV not so much. That's not a criticism of you, just that much of his work/movement was off camera. Jack is missing a huge part of Ferguson's game but should have aspired to play at the level and should have got to that level by applying himself.

Jack's there as basic hun-appeasement. Every Scotland manager - as Strachan (Wallace) and Levein (Ian Black anyone?) did before him - has to do this because of the way the game is designed in our country. It's disgusting, but that's the way it is.

Ferguson did relatively nothing in an attacking sense.

He was a total waste of a jersey IMO.

Absolutely hated him in a Scotland team.

The list is large mind.

He wasn't there to do anything in an attacking sense, much as Jack wouldn't be and Scott Brown isn't. Breaking up play, slowing the game down when needed, and slowing the opposition down. His positioning was always excellent (Jack's biggest attribute) which meant that whoever was at full back went charging way out of position, he would simply move across and prevent the quick counter attack. Always being available for the ball from a defender or back from an attacker and being able to hold onto it for a long time too. Fletcher is another example of this, it's amazing to see how many opposition attacks break down simply because he stands in the right place and jockey's the correct player until support arrives. It doesn't suit the "get in tae him" mentality of certain parts of the support, but it's far better to have a player who reads the game well than someone who just tanks in to every challenge leaving huge gaps in behind (Flood is a good example of the latter). Brown is better than Fletcher at doing both, however he picks up far more bookings.

Barry Ferguson was a gifted footballer. Just because he made an arse of himself when boozing all night and then giving the finger to the cameras thereafter (during the latter stages of his international career), this doesn't negate the quality he had on the pitch.

Ian Durrant was an even better footballer, one who's career at them was cut short by that "tackle". It was a bigger blow to Scotland when he got his knee fucked, although Neale Cooper's involvement in that incident is rarely acknowledged.

Despite being a hun c@nt, Ferguson was indeed talented and light years ahead of anything Jack could contribute to the Scotland team.

I fail to see how a guy that has been sent off 3 times in under 3 months (4 if you include the Morton friendly where getting sent off is just plain inexcusable) could be considered for the squad other than as has been said before...to appease the orc hordes.

However Mackay must surely be aware of the Aberdeen support's feelings towards Jack after his sevconian switch. If he was selected to play any part in the game he would be booed incessantly from the minute he warmed up pre match till he left the field/dug out at full time. It's just a crazy selection. Jack would be better pulling out under the pretence of having a niggling injury

Sorry rico dont agree.

My hatred for him was well b4 he stuck the finger up.

He didnt break down play that much either. Cant remember him making too many challenges tbh.

He hid as far as I'm concerned and almost always played the ball sideways.its a cliche for a reason I would say.

Despicable cunt and was lucky to get so many caps.

I would say the exact same about Fletcher.

Anyone can disagree with the above of course but for me, I remember too many games where both were utterly ineffective.

Squad for the Holland game -

Goalkeepers: Jordan Archer (Millwall) Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Hull City)

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Hearts), Liam Cooper (Leeds United), Paul Hanlon (Hibs), Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers), Callum Paterson (Cardiff City), Andrew Robertson (Liverpool), Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (Stoke City), James Forrest (Celtic), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Ryan Jack (Rangers), John McGinn (Hibs), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Kenny McLean (Aberdeen), Matt Phillips (West Brom), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), Ryan Christie (Aberdeen, on loan from Celtic)

Forwards: Jason Cummings (Nottingham Forest), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

Sorry rico dont agree.

My hatred for him was well b4 he stuck the finger up.

He didnt break down play that much either. Cant remember him making too many challenges tbh.

He hid as far as I'm concerned and almost always played the ball sideways.its a cliche for a reason I would say.

Despicable cunt and was lucky to get so many caps.

I would say the exact same about Fletcher.

Anyone can disagree with the above of course but for me, I remember too many games where both were utterly ineffective.

You've ignored what I said. Breaking up play isn't about making challenges, it's about being in the correct position. Fletcher, Ferguson and Jack rarely make challenges because their positional play makes up for it - they don't have to lunge into tackles because a simple block will do. More often though, the pass doesn't come to the preferred player because Ferguson would have been there to cut out the pass, thus the attacker would have to turn and slow the play down through lack of options. Jack wasn't revered by McInnes because he was a tough tackling midfielder, he was conscientious and read the game well; his game just hasn't developed to the standard of Ferguson which it should have done given his abilities as a youngster.

How many Scotland games have you attended with Fletcher or Ferguson playing? If the answer is close to zero, then it invalidates your view for that type of player. Ferguson/Fletcher was/are always the sideways passer to those watching on the telly, as they can't see the movement they make off the ball and their positional play as the TV cameras don't pick this up. It's impossible to appreciate that type of player without seeing them in the flesh on more than one occasion (Ferguson and Fletcher have had some poor games for Scotland undoubtedly, but they've had a lot of very good ones too). You don't see the passes an opposition player doesn't make on TV, which is a massive part of the holding midfielder's role. I've been to plenty of Scotland games where both were playing and it's easy to see what they brought to the game. Similarly I've watched many on TV where it looked like they were doing fuck all.

Squad for the Holland game -

Goalkeepers: Jordan Archer (Millwall) Craig Gordon (Celtic), David Marshall (Hull City)

Defenders: Christophe Berra (Hearts), Liam Cooper (Leeds United), Paul Hanlon (Hibs), Charlie Mulgrew (Blackburn Rovers), Callum Paterson (Cardiff City), Andrew Robertson (Liverpool), Kieran Tierney (Celtic)

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Celtic), Darren Fletcher (Stoke City), James Forrest (Celtic), Ryan Fraser (Bournemouth), Ryan Jack (Rangers), John McGinn (Hibs), Callum McGregor (Celtic), Kenny McLean (Aberdeen), Matt Phillips (West Brom), Graeme Shinnie (Aberdeen), Ryan Christie (Aberdeen, on loan from Celtic)

Forwards: Jason Cummings (Nottingham Forest), Leigh Griffiths (Celtic)

No Barry Bannan or Steven Fletcher? Disgusting....

No Barry Bannan or Steven Fletcher? Disgusting....

A McGregor, Anya, Hanley, Whittaker, Bannan, McArthur, Morrison, Ritchie, Snodgrass, S Fletcher, C Martin all missing from last squad.

Surprised at Ritchie missing out as he is playing well at Newcastle (punishment for withdrawing from the last squad maybe) but the rest I am fine with especially Bannan.

I'd agree about saving the English based squad regulars a long midweek trek up for what is in essence a pointless friendly. Having a look at Cummings and perhaps Archer in goal are surely the only positives to this friendly. And a squad that contains more goalkeepers than forwards? Michty me....

The Dons boys will obviously feature, I'd expect McLean and Shinnie  (hopefully at left back but I suspect his future Scotland aspirations are in midfield) to start and Christie to get a good half hour as sub just hope all come through unscathed.

Like the fact there’s some fresh faces and some of the tried and tested failures have been left out, even if that does have more to do with the timing and location than any real desire to move on.

Despite it being a meaningless friendly right on their doorstep I’m pleased McLean, Shinnie and Christie are included, it’ll at least show them that playing well for Aberdeen doesn’t completely shut the door to international call ups, a chance to stake a claim for future involvement too will be a real confidence boost too.

Especially important in the case of Christie if we’ve got any chance at all of signing him after his loan deal is up. (Really slim chance admittedly...)

Like the fact there’s some fresh faces and some of the tried and tested failures have been left out, even if that does have more to do with the timing and location than any real desire to move on.

Despite it being a meaningless friendly right on their doorstep I’m pleased McLean, Shinnie and Christie are included, it’ll at least show them that playing well for Aberdeen doesn’t completely shut the door to international call ups, a chance to stake a claim for future involvement too will be a real confidence boost too.

Especially important in the case of Christie if we’ve got any chance at all of signing him after his loan deal is up. (Really slim chance admittedly...)

More chance of you winning another Olympic Diving medal than Christie signing.

Rico i didnt ignore what you wrote.

What im saying is, id liked to have seen a flair midfielder who made splitting defence passes and who back tracked and tackled regularly.

There were a few around then, before and are now.

I havnt seen them playing in the flesh but i dont need to.

Ive seen plenty players who ddnt have great games yet they made one or two moves and i thought...yup, genius.

I cant believe im discussing that cunt ferguson in a scotland thread and Dons fans are saying positive things about him.

Lets end  it...end it now.

:hammer:

• 2 months later...