Best European Evening??????

No matter who we play next Thursday night I've been thinking about our previous fourteen European matches that one has attended in terms of an experience.  I always put FC Copenhagen mauling before Bayern Munich ding dong then Kairat Almaty in third place closely followed by NK Maribor not to mention HNK Rijeka making Top Five.

Am I right to put Danish Delight ahead of German Greatness??????

No matter who we play next Thursday night I've been thinking about our previous fourteen European matches that one has attended in terms of an experience.  I always put FC Copenhagen mauling before Bayern Munich ding dong then Kairat Almaty in third place closely followed by NK Maribor not to mention HNK Rijeka making Top Five.

Am I right to put Danish Delight ahead of German Greatness??????

Intersting post SeeBass. I assume we are only including home matches ?

Whilst the Bayern game will live with me forever, I'm actually going to go for the following round against Waterschei.

European semi final, 24,000 in the ground and we come flying out of the traps with and go 2-0 up inside FOUR minutes. It really doesn't get any better and when that second goal went in it was the moment that a 21 year old actually started to beleive we had a chance of winning this trophy.

Second place would be the Bayern night, a night when we twice looked ertain to be going out and in the end blew them away.

Third equalI'd go with Copenhagen. Fantastic atmosphere, had been years since we did anything in Europe and suddenly we're hrough to the last thirty two with a rematch against Bayern to look forward to.

Alongside it, it simply has to be Ipswich in 1981. Peter Weir's finst ninety minutes in an Aberdeen shirt.

Big Al,

I've only attended our last fourteen home European ties since Dnipro in 2007.  Obviously we've had many other games in early to mid 2000's against Valur, Torino, Barry Town, Zalgris Vilnius, Bohemians and Nistru Otaci naming just a few but because of living four hours from Pittodrie on a school night we'd never get chance to attend these matches.  Mind didn't sound like we missed much where Irish and Lithuanian pasting were concerned!!

Wish yours truly went further during Europa League campaign sometimes.  For me it does break up monotony of domestic league setup.   

I think SeeBass may be referring to the 2008 version of Bayern at Pittodrie, Al.

Ah, think you're right mate

Silly me, thinking abody went as far back as myself.

In that case the 2008 game against Bayern doesn't make my top four, but might sneak in at number five.

Either that or Juventus 1-1 in 1971 where the then world's most expensive player (Anastasi) played and scored for them. Well over 30,000 inside Pittodrie that night.

I have become quite bored with Scottish football's overall brand.  One actually must see us qualify for Europe every season to get me excited.  Of course we don't want a lot of mammoth plane trip to Central Asia each year but SeeBass especially these last four 'continental adventure' really has enjoyed his team travelling all round said globe playing against unknown quantities on many strange land!!!!!!

The thing is SeeBass, European football is rigged so that teams like us never progress in it. It's a competition we now have no chance of winning, or even progressing in beyond Christmas. We have an infinitely better chance of winning the SPFL, which is saying something in itself.

I can't get myself excited about European football these days.  While I always want the Dons to win, I can't help but think we may be better off out of it.

Bobby,

I absolutely hate playing St.Johnstone and Ross County four times a season sometimes more in drawing them during Cup campaign!!!!  Guess our love for European scene has always been there since I took out a book on said subject at High School library and must have kept it about a whole year before handing material back!!  Really was and still are quite obsessed about above aspect regarding our beautiful game.

I'm not getting at you here BB but the fact that that's a legitimate point of view is appalling.

The parachuting of failed champions leaguers into the competition is a disgrace of immense proportions.

Al might be right with the Waterschei game.

Ipswich was the start of great things ( the first time I remember "Here we go" being sung)

Juventus too was a great night, who was the best striker in Europe though?

Anastasi or King Joey?

On a personal level, it would probably have to be AFC-Bayern in 2008.  Wasn't there at Copenhagen and had to make do with the BBC red button for that one :(  Certainly wasn't there for the original Bayern fixture!

The buzz around the place, tinged with alcohol and joy.  had a brilliant night.

On a personal level, it would probably have to be AFC-Bayern in 2008.  Wasn't there at Copenhagen and had to make do with the BBC red button for that one :(  Certainly wasn't there for the original Bayern fixture!

The buzz around the place, tinged with alcohol and joy.  had a brilliant night.

See what you missed out on

The price of youth mate ;)

I'm not getting at you here BB but the fact that that's a legitimate point of view is appalling.

The parachuting of failed champions leaguers into the competition is a disgrace of immense proportions.

It is verging on criminal, I'd say.

Back on topic... I suppose I'd have to go for Copenhagen. 

I was second top row of Richard Donald Stand against FC Copenhagen and when Mikael Antonsson netted his O.G. I turned round to folk behind me and said;

"That doesn't count because one of our players didn't touch ball last!!!"

Remember this blonde haired girl looking at me as though one was rather weird.  Certainly think yours truly had an outer body experience that evening especially at fourth goal from Ricky Foster.  Maybe we can say Father Christmas  delivered my present early in 2007!!!!

My first Euro game was the one against Spurs, (1973 or 74 I think) so that has a place in my heart

Favourites would be the Ipswich, Bayern, Watershcei and Sion (7 goals in Europe!!!) and the Super Cup Hamburg game.

Since then I suppose the Torino game was good if ultimately disappointing, missed the Copenhagen and Bayer games more recently so canna comment there.

Copenhagen. I was in a direct line behind smiths lob and lost my phone in the resulting bounce.  Amazingly I was able to recover it undamaged after the game. It had traveled 5 rows down and I'm still very grateful to the member of the red ultras who let me use his phone to call it despite an incredibly snippy steward telling me it was clearly a waste of time trying to  find it.