Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Summer transfer window

McLean is no star man in my eyes and I'd even argue Tansey is more of a replacement for him than Jack. He's an attacking creative midfield players who doesn't score or get assists! That's two major flaws right there! I'd take money now than nothing in 12 months.

He does score though, just not as many as he should. But the signs are there that he's more than capable of adding to his goal tally for us. Even just looking at his time at St Mirren. Whilst his direct assists aren't great, the number of times he set us on a quick break by moving the ball quickly upfield and bringing others into play is noticeable. We'd have been a significantly worse team when we went on our unbeaten run around christmas if McLean wasn't in it. In fact, it was his re-introduction ahead of Maddison that set that run on its way.

Anyway, my point was not that he was some world beater, but that our recruitment isn't strong enough to take the chance on replacing him. There's not a ready made replacement in the SPL and under McInnes we haven't been able to recruit more than two good players in a single window. I don't see that changing. We still haven't replaced Hayes and - as you say - Tansey isn't really a replacement for Jack, and we haven't even managed to replace Taylor. It's not a criticism of the players still there (we're exceptionally light squad-wise though), it's an understanding that we haven't replaced those that have left.

As for Tansey. Having seen him play on many occasions, I don't think he's half the player that McLean is. Stronger perhaps, but nowhere near the same ability. I think he's a pretty underwhelming signing if honest, that might struggle to make the first team. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny McLean has had 2 seasons at the club.  For one and a half seasons of that period at Aberdeen, he has flattered to deceive. 

It was only last Oct, November that Willie Miller, Richard Gordon and a few others were saying on Sportsound he had to give that little bit more and offer some dig.

For some reason December and January this year onwards his form has been outstanding.  Passes, touches, flicks, good possession. 

No doubts Kenny McLean is a popular guy in the dressing room and did well end of last season.  But because his transfer involved a transfer fee he has always been McInnes's pet player.  Seemingly undroppable he has always been a favourite of McInnes.

He is born and bred Cambuslang - big Glasgow guy.  Its obvious he will end up back down the road at some point.  Best thing is to get him signing a new deal - tell him to play well this season and he is nailed on guaranteed to get a move next summer and club gets some cash.

Overall, would not be too bad to lose him.  Christie is the man now.  Far more influential a player.

Overall, would not be too bad to lose him.  Christie is the man now.  Far more influential a player.

Despite his goal in the cup final, I thought Christie was largely anonymous. Certainly compared to McLean who was constantly available for the ball. Obviously, his deeper role allowed him that to an extent, but even when McLean plays higher up the park he gets more involved. In fact, I'd go to say that Christie has been anonymous in many of his games for us and - despite some excellent finishes - clearly not the finished article yet. I think he could be influential next season, but only if he improves or maintains a consistency of the form shown in his last couple of league games.

Otherwise, completely agree about his form. Also to try and get McLean on a longer deal and maximise the return. I just don't think we need the cash desperately enough to take it in this window.

We tend to play with a front 4: Rooney, someone behind Rooney and 2 wingers.

If we have taken in Christie, Maloney, Stewart and are targeting the signing of another winger on top of that (as per McInnes), you'd think if McLean stays then he'll find himself playing a bit deeper. When he played deeper last season to accommodate Maddison, he was largely ineffective.

If he is willing to sign a new contract then great, but if not, we need to sell now and use the funds to sign a high quality defensive midfielder to either allow Shinnie to move back to left back or play instead of Tansey if he's not up to it.

I think Christie is more likely to find himself out wide with Maloney playing behind Rooney.

He does score though, just not as many as he should. But the signs are there that he's more than capable of adding to his goal tally for us. Even just looking at his time at St Mirren. Whilst his direct assists aren't great, the number of times he set us on a quick break by moving the ball quickly upfield and bringing others into play is noticeable. We'd have been a significantly worse team when we went on our unbeaten run around christmas if McLean wasn't in it. In fact, it was his re-introduction ahead of Maddison that set that run on its way.

Anyway, my point was not that he was some world beater, but that our recruitment isn't strong enough to take the chance on replacing him. There's not a ready made replacement in the SPL and under McInnes we haven't been able to recruit more than two good players in a single window. I don't see that changing. We still haven't replaced Hayes and - as you say - Tansey isn't really a replacement for Jack, and we haven't even managed to replace Taylor. It's not a criticism of the players still there (we're exceptionally light squad-wise though), it's an understanding that we haven't replaced those that have left.

As for Tansey. Having seen him play on many occasions, I don't think he's half the player that McLean is. Stronger perhaps, but nowhere near the same ability. I think he's a pretty underwhelming signing if honest, that might struggle to make the first team. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

I read somewhere that he got 5 goals and 3 assists in 51 games last season, could be wrong. If we are playing one forward (usually Rooney) then we have to get more production from the attacking mid, I'd say double figures in both. I'd be inclined to play Christie or Maloney (assuming he signs) in the attacking mid spot, but where does that leave McLean. He played his worst for us in the defensive midfield position since he's powder puff and it wasn't until we moved him back to the more advanced role when we left Shinnie permanently in midfield that KM found any sort of form. Totally agree with you though, I'm not concerned about losing Kenny, more concerned about who we sign to replace him/Jack. DM hasn't been stunning in the transfer market by any means.

Strong rumours that he has failed the medical, apparently problems with his hip. If rumours are true, lets move on sharpish. :confused:

I wont be unhappy if this is correct. The inflated wages he would attract would be better spent on Walker....600k and i think theyll take it

I think someone got the words twitter, strong and rumours mixed up.

This rumour as to his hip looks like #fakenews

Sign of the times, this sort of shit* is rife on Twitter.

I don't know anything about Twitter ( except it's inevitably a heap of shite) but I heard there were problems at the tail end of last week.

Btmin Aberdeen claiming we've paid £150 k to loan Stewart? Is that loans work these days? I hope that's a contribution to any future fee rather than paying to loan him.

All this isn't looking good is it?

What's the future, some organisation renting out players?

As a player you could hedge your bets with a company who would guarantee your wages over say a ten year period then they would try a make a profit out of you.

I don't know anything about Twitter ( except it's inevitably a heap of shite) but I heard there were problems at the tail end of last week.

Would guess (never having been party to a medical) that medicals are not as black and white as fit / not fit.  If anything Shaun Maloney has always come across as a very quiet lad who does not say much and if anything its that he maybe is a bit quiet for that dressing room which can be explosive and noisy - and that is true.

It's clear it's dragging on a while longer than was hoped - but McInnes did say he wants to conclude the deal at Maloney's pace. 

Maloney put off having a hernia op at the end of the season, so I would assume he's still to have that.  If that's the cause of this, I find it strange we're so far down the line before this became an issue.

Good luck to Niall, an interesting move for him and I hope it works out for him. He's been a cracking player for us.