Sunday 19th May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Ross County v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Transfer Window 2015

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spending big on quality signings is what Milne thought he did first time around and it nearly killed the club. That won't happen again and I don't want it to happen. Paul Bernard was considered a quality million pound signing. I think the debt was simply paid/written off and we don't have money in the bank. Once and if we have a healthy bank balance I'd then support spending big.

Would love to see us getting McGovern from Hamilton, prob on a pre contract, ability and experience. Don't get the Lennox signing if we rate Rogers and if Collin is any good have him replace Brown. Bannigan on a pre contract, tough player, young, and an investment, and Cowie on loan until the seasons end, plus a big tard up top who gives us a different approach. If we rated Shankland he'd be back at the club in my opinion. Finally, donate Goodwillie to charity.

Would be a good move for him but i'd be very disappointed if he did go.  He should be playing way head of Pawlett and DG.

I think people have been incredibly harsh on Pawlett recently. Not had a great season but has done well enough the last few times he's featured. Certainly not poor enough to warrant some of the criticism he's had. I'd also say that PP has done far more for this team than Smith has and that deserves to be respected.

I also don't quite understand the love in for Smith. He's been around the first team now for a good few years and you could count his meaningful contributions on one hand.

I hope the faith re Smith is repaid, but I do wonder if he's going to make it at AFC, DM has seemed reluctant to use him, particularly this season. There must be a reason for that.

I think people have been incredibly harsh on Pawlett recently. Not had a great season but has done well enough the last few times he's featured. Certainly not poor enough to warrant some of the criticism he's had. I'd also say that PP has done far more for this team than Smith has and that deserves to be respected.

I also don't quite understand the love in for Smith. He's been around the first team now for a good few years and you could count his meaningful contributions on one hand.

I hope the faith re Smith is repaid, but I do wonder if he's going to make it at AFC, DM has seemed reluctant to use him, particularly this season. There must be a reason for that.

It's fair enough. I think the problem is that Pawlett set such high standards and has since failed to live up to them imo. Every time i've seen Smith come on he's looked lively and exciting, I get your point, but certainly think he has something to offer.  The point re: DM not using him, not sure that's fair given that DM doesn't really give subs much of a chance, let alone youth.

To be honest I'd like to see both Smith and Pawlett play more often. It's hard to be a consistent player when time on the field is extremely inconsistent and to develop talent you've got to play. We are very heavily reliant on McGinn, Hayes, McLean, Rooney, and Shinnie - they are all valued extremely highly but they be gassed by seasons end and particularly training and playing on the heavy fields we really need to better utilize certain squad players. I just don't think we can play a full season and keep up with Celtic without keeping people fresh.

To be honest I'd like to see both Smith and Pawlett play more often. It's hard to be a consistent player when time on the field is extremely inconsistent and to develop talent you've got to play. We are very heavily reliant on McGinn, Hayes, McLean, Rooney, and Shinnie - they are all valued extremely highly but they be gassed by seasons end and particularly training and playing on the heavy fields we really need to better utilize certain squad players. I just don't think we can play a full season and keep up with Celtic without keeping people fresh.

I would put that down to the manager though, who seems completely reluctant to turn to the bench, and when he does, it's either too late or a bizarre substitution.

Here's BTMin Aberdeen's view (first 10 mins) with Dolly digital interview:

https://soundcloud.com/bytheminsport/btm-aberdeen-podcast-28-dolly-digital

I struggle with the love shown to Smith too, its all well and good saying he's not had a chance but has he done anything do earn that chance?

He's shown flashes of being a useful player but I don't think he's shown that very often and I suspect if he showed it on a daily basis in training etc then McInnes would be playing him more.

Its all well and good keeping the players fresh and i totally agree it is required if we are to challenge but if the replacements arent showing enough to merit a regular game then why should they play ahead of players doing it week in week out?

Cammy Smith wanted by St Mirren on loan until season end.

Given lack of game time for him currently, I'd be inclined to let him provided we don't get shot of Goodwillie this window.

Given the fact that St Mirren have today signed David Clarkson on loan then I would imagine this isn't going to happen

It's fair enough. I think the problem is that Pawlett set such high standards and has since failed to live up to them imo. Every time i've seen Smith come on he's looked lively and exciting, I get your point, but certainly think he has something to offer.  The point re: DM not using him, not sure that's fair given that DM doesn't really give subs much of a chance, let alone youth.

I really hope Smith makes it with us and shows my concerns to be a load of nonsense but he broke through under Brown and has never really had a run of games (or if he has, they certainly weren't that memorable). Admittedly that may purely be down to the manager and his lack of confidence in youth as you point out, but you would think that even given that, over that period of time we'd have seen more of him. 

Smith started the first league game of the season, and I thought that was a good sign for him. That was a big game too, season opener against United away so DM has put faith in him, at least to some extent.

But, to put it in context - how many of our star youth products of yesteryear needed the best part of 3 years to make a mark? Hewitt, Black, Simpson, Jess, etc... obviously all better players, but its all relative - they were playing with better players and against better players than Smith.

Pawlett - I think he may have been a victim of his own success to a degree. In DM's first season, PP played centrally and teams could not handle him mostly due to the fact it was somewhat unexpected. Oppositions now know what to expect from him and its down to PP and DM to handle that - to look to see how they can get the best out of his talents now that element of surprise has gone.

The short story why I would like to see play more is that I think I he's got a bit of guile about him.

Some chat on pie and bovril about Irvine and O'Halloran. It's probably bollocks but 150k for Irvine (which would be about the remainder of his contract) and a similar fee plus goodwillie for O'Halloran after the semis is what's being said.

If players don't produce enough in training they shouldn't stay at the club. If players are good enough they need to play and I agree, DM isn't giving enough youth/squad a chance. Players will burn out and we'll finish the season poorly for the third season in a row. It's all very well giving youth a chance in the last few weeks of the season but Cammy Smith and the like need to play more now. He's only 20 and more regular first team action will show whether that's where he belongs. I didn't realize Pawlett is 24 - if he isn't playing more because he's not producing it enough in training he needs to move on. However, I'd rather see him included more in a rotation so that McGinn, Hayes, McLean don't get burned out. Consistency comes from playing as I already said.

Fergie was criticized for burning out the young guys like Neale Cooper but he still pretty much rotated/used Black, McGhee, Hewitt, even Willie Falconer and Stevie Cowan up top and Strachan, Bell, Cooper, Simpson, McMaster, Weir, Porteous in midfield. Our key guys do well but we cannot last an entire season without more rotation.

Just me getting a bit worried here? Signed a youth goalie and a backup goalie (for an arguably nae-good-enough-in-the-first-place goalie). No other signings despite a clear need and other outfield players leaving. Quickly running out of time! :-(

I see Hearts have had a bid for John Souttar of Dundee United rejected.  Seems like a decent young centre half/defensive midfielder, also being tracked by Celtic... possibly worth enquiring about given he could fill one of two needs for us? (centre half cover or tough tackling midfielder)

Saying that I cant remember him standing out too much any time I've seen us play Dundee United.

Pawlett has no goals and only 2 assists from 13 appearances in the league this season.  I'd love for him to be doing well but I'd not be surprised if he moves on in the summer.

This window has been shite so far.  We're weaker than when it opened for sure and it's the first time in a long time where I've felt like that.  We still need a striker, we still need a central midfielder, we'll still need to replace our RB and GK in the near future.

I was really hoping Andrew Shinnie would come in this window (I still think he might be our big summer signing) but I hope we have some irons in the fire ahead of the weekend because we're short at the moment.

Pawlett has no goals and only 2 assists from 13 appearances in the league this season. 

And? That's a very basic stat that really doesn't paint much of a picture at all. How many of those were from the bench?

As has already been said it's not been a great season for him but he has credit in the bank so to speak, something that Smith doesn't have.