Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Goodwillie

Some performance last night. Unselfish with McLeans goal ( I thought that was the right decision as he was better placed and clearer sight to goal).

Slated him plenty, but I'm hoping that he uses this as a springboard. Or maybe hes just better suited to a European game? We still need another striker, but I was very pleased with his performance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been very impressed with Goodwillie (on the field) in the European games this season and by all accounts he played very well at Raith too. For a striker who is not scoring many goals it is very easy to pull the trigger at the slightest sight of goal but he has been extremely unselfish by setting up MacLean in Croatia and also Hayes at Pittodrie. He could easily of had a shot himself for both of these goals, especially at Pittodrie where he had done all the hard work. It shows a mature football head thinking of the team around him rather than personal glory. I couldn't care less if he only scores 5 goals this season as long as he lays it on a plate for his colleagues! :thumbsup:

He finally seems to be repaying the faith that our management have had in him.

I thought he'd be shown the door this summer but he looks to have played his way into the side and he does offer us something different.

I still want a good striker in though and I think we will get May.

He finally seems to be repaying the faith that our management have had in him.

I thought he'd be shown the door this summer but he looks to have played his way into the side and he does offer us something different.

I still want a good striker in though and I think we will get May.

I was all for getting rid a few weeks ago, but hes been just the sort of player needed for the euro games imo, still wouldnt mind another goal scorer though, May would be just dandy

The only way I can see us shifting the kind of coin needed for may would be if we qualify the group stages

Better make sure that happens then ;)

I do agree though, I wouldn't want us to break the bank for him unless we had that sort of cash available. If DG can maintain this level of performance throughout the season i'll be happy enough as he's providing chances which others are taking.  With Rooney and then hopefully another coming in, we'd be well placed for a strong season.

Are we not already about £2,000,000+ up based on the 3 rounds so far.

I fully expect us to spend a little money this summer and I don't think it requires the group stages, though it'd be a huge bonus.

I think May's situation won't be resolved until towards the close of the window but I'm hopeful we'll be in for him.

I expect a quality striker and an attacking midfielder/winger to join up before the window slams shut.

Are we not already about £2,000,000+ up based on the 3 rounds so far.

I fully expect us to spend a little money this summer and I don't think it requires the group stages, though it'd be a huge bonus.

I think May's situation won't be resolved until towards the close of the window but I'm hopeful we'll be in for him.

I expect a quality striker and an attacking midfielder/winger to join up before the window slams shut.

Do not think is as much as that. Prize money has increased from last year but can only find table from last year which shows getting to round 3 would have netted us €390,000 then. Would think at best we will be looking at around €600,000 this year in prize money along with anything we have from any tv rights and gate money. Travelling costs will be high this year as well.

aye stooge sure I read that prize money for each round has went up a fair bit, we get 200k more than this same stage last season , we are making decent money no doubt about that.  if we can just get past this tie  on Thursday{ I need a trip europe :smile:}  then its serious dough.  either way us in Europe is a great bonus financially every year, some other Scottish clubs its not.  ken the club shop is having a great time at the tills when these games are on. as for Goodwillie  went right aff him last season waste of a shirt ,    but cant argue with his last two performances as they have been brilliant. but we need a another goalscorer and if its May I be fucking delighted.

£1.8 mill tv cash if we make the group stages

I'm pretty sure I read if we get to the group stages we'd bank around £5,000,000 in additional ticket sales, prize money and tv deals.  But I canna mind the source and it may well just have been speculation.

It'd be huge for us though.

Not that any of us are wanting to get ahead of ourselves or anything but here are actual figures.

UEFA Europa League

The amount available every season for clubs participating in the UEFA Europa League as from the group stage onwards is forecasted at €381m in the 2015-18 cycle, compared to €233m in the 2012-15 cycle, thus representing a very substantial increase of around 65%.

This amount will be distributed to participating clubs on a 60:40 basis between fixed amounts and market pool, as applied already in the 2012-15 cycle.

Fixed amounts (€228.6m)

Each of the 48 clubs involved in the group stage will receive a group stage allocation of €2.4m.

On top of this, there will be performance bonuses: €360k for every win and €120k for every draw in the group stage. The winners of the groups will receive a qualification bonus of €500k and the runners-up of €250k.

The teams playing in the round of 32 will receive €500k each, the teams playing in the round of 16 will receive €750k each, the quarter-finalists €1m each and the semi-finalists €1.5m each. The UEFA Europa League winners will receive €6.5m and the runners-up €3.5m, inclusive of their ticketing revenue share.

A club could receive, at best, €15.31m, not counting the market pool share.

So about 1.8 mill for getting to the groups (#toldyouso  ;) ) so now you add on ticket money's to that.  My guess for three home games assuming sell outs and averaging 28 quid a ticket over 19000 sales (remaining 1827 going on comps for dignitaries, sponsors and club hospitality)  we make 532k per game.  Say we did 350 (seems a reasonable figure but if you know better feel free to amend) hospitality sales that's an extra 100k at 285 sheets a head (thats according to the club website for a platinum game).  If we actually managed to win some games that would be extra cash so maybe takings  could push 5 mill.  I would gueestimate minimum overall profit for reaching the groups once costs are taken into account  would be about 3 and a half mill.

I imagine we could build a fairly kick ass training facility and then some with that kind of money.

• 1 year later...

http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/statement-david-goodwillie-3536714.aspx

PLYMOUTH Argyle Football Club Limited ('PAFC') confirm that David Goodwillie has left the club by mutual agreement.

Mr. Goodwillie has asked the club to terminate his contract of employment in order that he can focus his time on a potential appeal of the civil judgement made against him. PAFC has agreed to his request.

PAFC will make no further comment on this matter.

Pretty much expected.

Latest in a long line of talented young footballers to spunk away their talent ::)

Literally. It seems a poor statement by Plymouth. We don't want rapists at our club would have been a far better statement. If he'd served his time, showed remorse, I'd be more inclined to suggest he deserved a second chance. I was uncomfortable when we signed him, because he was clearly a rapist who got away with it, I didn't think it sent out a great message to our female supporters. It was a very avoidable situation for us.

Literally. It seems a poor statement by Plymouth. We don't want rapists at our club would have been a far better statement. If he'd served his time, showed remorse, I'd be more inclined to suggest he deserved a second chance. I was uncomfortable when we signed him, because he was clearly a rapist who got away with it, I didn't think it sent out a great message to our female supporters. It was a very avoidable situation for us.

Sent out a pretty poor message to our male supporters too, in particular the younger ones.  The fact some of our supporters then used the case as a way of "glorifying" Goodwillie was also grim. The "shags who he wants" chants were vile and shameful.

Sent out a pretty poor message to our male supporters too, in particular the younger ones.  The fact some of our supporters then used the case as a way of "glorifying" Goodwillie was also grim. The "shags who he wants" chants were vile and shameful.

Absolutely, thoroughly embarrassing hearing that belted out on the TV.

Nae the best use of words on this occasion BigAl, but get what you are saying.......

We should never have signed him, the west coast media loved it when we signed him, they will NEVER lose the pics of him in a Dons top, never.

Wondered who'd be the first to pick up on it ;)