Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Goodwillie

I have to say, from what i've seen of Goodwillie, it's quite clear that his match sharpness has come back and seems to enjoy his football again.  It feels like once he gets a goal or two he might start scoring a few more.  All a confidence thing.  I'd like to see him sign with us beyond the summer if i'm honest. Thoughts?

Despite the source, I found it a good read.  Comes across very well:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moving-aberdeen-made-better-player-4842841

I'm in the same camp as you AllyS, not often you get a player who (rightly at the time I felt) commanded a £2million fee.

Been disappointed at how poor he is in front of goal but his link up play and hold up play is good. Probably worth another year but not a certain starter, for me.

Not sure, his link up play with Rooney is developing along nicely.  For me he should start.

According to the EE, looks like DM is going to speak to both him and Consi shortly about new deals.

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/sport/football/the-dons/dons-to-enter-contract-talks-with-goodwillie-and-considine-after-festive-period-1.753886

Not sure, his link up play with Rooney is developing along nicely.  For me he should start.

According to the EE, looks like DM is going to speak to both him and Consi shortly about new deals.

For someone who plays up front, his goal record is poor. He does link up well with others, but, he can not continue to miss the chances he does without consequence, otherwise someone like Shankland is going to become very disgruntled. To be honest, DG never looks like he's going to score.

There will also be times where tactics dictate he shouldn't start. Rooney getting shunted wide to accomodate DG is not a solution. Play Rooney through the middle and bench DG, that's the solution imo.

I'd also like to see Rooney up front with McGinn at some point; I think we'd get more goals than we are at present.

I get where folk are coming from about the lack of goals but 9 assists is nothing to be sniffed at.  The frontline moves around a lot  and DG often finds himself wide left.  His touch his excellent and he creates a lot of space for those around him with his ability to keep the ball whilst under pressure from multiple defenders.  He can pick a pass too!  In short I like him, he has a bit of guile about him that we've not seen for a long time from an Aberdeen player.  No question that he needs a goal but I suspect he might go on a bit of a run when he does.  It's a total no brainer that we should keep him, in my opinion at least.   

just says Hayes and Considine have signed. No mention of Goodwillie

McInnes said that would get festive games out of the way and then sit down with Goodwillie.

It is only my opinion  here, but I reckon he will sign a contract extension

Great news about Hayes and Considine.

Think a goal or two would make all the difference to the lad. Would be good to get him signed up but have a gut feel that Todders is a brief stopping point for him.

Hope to be proved wrong.

Welcome aboard! Completely agree about the goal issue, but I actually think he wants to stay.  There is a good vibe about the squad at the moment and only a fool/someone not involved in the squad would really leave.  It's not like he isn't getting game time.

I'd be absolutely delighted if he signed a contract extension. I think he's getting better with every game. He's always a threat and his assists are mounting up and he's chipping in with a goal here and there too. Obviously I'd like to see him score more but his ability to bring others into play and his touch are superb. He can obviously play football and we need players like that at Pittodrie.

If we can get him tied to a couple of years, that would be great. He is a class act, has a great touch and creates lots of openings. Slightly better finishing on Sunday would have given him a hat-trick.

At least he's creating chances and I'm sure he'll turn it around.

Hope that nobody tries to prise any of the team away in this window but with key players tied to long term contracts, a cup semi final and great league form who would want to leave ?

Happy days for us.

Not sure if it came across on TV on Sunday, but he showed a fair bit of petulance on more than one occasion... if the ball wasn't played to his feet he had no intention in moving for it. Sometimes the ball was little more than two yards from him but he refused to close down the 'Well defender, and instead berated his team mates - more often than not, Rooney - for not playing the ball right to his feet.

Did a lot of good stuff on Sunday too - his ball through for the first for example was a fine piece of play, but I'm not buying into this hype about him. Should have scored two on Sunday, but again fluffed his lines. He can not keep on missing these chances without consequence, simple as that.

Not sure if it came across on TV on Sunday, but he showed a fair bit of petulance on more than one occasion... if the ball wasn't played to his feet he had no intention in moving for it. Sometimes the ball was little more than two yards from him but he refused to close down the 'Well defender, and instead berated his team mates - more often than not, Rooney - for not playing the ball right to his feet.

Did a lot of good stuff on Sunday too - his ball through for the first for example was a fine piece of play, but I'm not buying into this hype about him. Should have scored two on Sunday, but again fluffed his lines. He can not keep on missing these chances without consequence, simple as that.

He went into a bit of a huff the other week against Killie when he got subbed off. He's far from the finished article. He's got improvements he needs to make, undoubtedly. But he has the most potential out of anyone in our squad (although Jack and Shankland probably come close) and I don't see how any Dons fan wouldn't want him signed up. His attitude has to be managed (although I don't see it as anything more than a minor issue at worst right now). We've got the right man to manage his attitude in charge and I'm sure given time he'll find the net more often.

I would like to see us sign him, don't get me wrong but I think there's some OTT praise. He has been woeful in front of goal, and for a forward that is quite a big issue.

I certainly don't disagree that as a striker he should be scoring more, but from what i've seen he's arguably one of the most talented footballers we have at the club.  I spotted the petulance and can't say disappointed to see it but I still think his all round play warrants a new deal. He still should have scored 3 goals I thought on Sunday.  Did he not have a fresh air swipe just inside the box in the first half?

All that said, if he continues to set up Rooney and others, i'm happy with that.  As long as we convert a few more...

• 2 months later...

I've not read It myself, but if true shows the laddie has learnt fuck all.

What age is he now? 25 or 26?

Old enough to know better.

Saying that, I see Paul McGowan, how is 27, is up for the third time for fighting the police and looks like he will be off to the big house.

Is Goodwillie really worth the hassle?

I don't get to see much of the games, so I can't say if he's important enough to keep.

27 games/ 6 goals.  :dunno:

What are the actual stories? Front page said he was drunk and argued with bouncers.  :dunno:

Is this the West Coast media getting on our backs before an important game or was there more to the story?

Seems to be the extent of it...

So aye, gather the angry mob and let's run him out of town  ::)