Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SPL Young Player of the Month is....aka The Ryan Fraser Thread

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you find out how good he is without playing him in first team games? He's hardly kicked a ball for us.

True. If we did that for every youngster that showed promise in the reserves then we'd be pottless and in the gutter by now. I don't blame AFC football club for this for once.

How do you find out how good he is without playing him in first team games? He's hardly kicked a ball for us.

Good point but his name has been around for a few years and playing him every game and him being MOTM each of them you would try and cool it until you signed him up. Im just pissed off!

He could sign a deal and get his big money move next year like goodwillie did. Just another symptom of our jam today culture

You just have to assume he's being very poorly advised. He has a long time playing ahead of him and a poor decision now could fuck it right up. The evidence of the recent past is leaving and disappearing into a mediocre team in England or in Glasgow is a very poor move, if not for your accountant and agent.

If he's good enough he really would be badly advised to stay too long but having just got into the fucking team it seems madness for everyone concerned to bolt now.

Unless, he's been advised by a bigger club that for the sake of his career he needs to move.  If anything, recent months and his current injury would suggest he's getting annihilated by SPL clog hoppers with little or no protection from the "referees" of our game.  Just putting it out there.

Thing is an all, we have a few good players we need to keep. A kid saying he's too good for this level is bound to influence older people to think, "well if he is so am i!".

Year after year seeing what could be a good team disintegrate without time to achieve anything makes it increasingly difficult for me to enjoy football. Grimmer, Fyvie, Fraser - we develop them for other teams and get fuck all out of it.

Great timing to release the news too. Day before a massive game. Awesome.

no blame here for Fraser.  He could get injured badly at anytime, it's his chosen career remember, for him his family, his future family he must sign for the best contract he's offered.  The system is wrong here not the player.

The Dons need to gamble on a few long contracts before players make it big

no blame here for Fraser.  He could get injured badly at anytime, it's his chosen career remember, for him his family, his future family he must sign for the best contract he's offered.  The system is wrong here not the player.

The Dons need to gamble on a few long contracts before players make it big

I'm afraid I don't agree.  A short term better financial offer may lead to longer term obscurity and disappearing into the lower leagues if he does not make the correct choice.

Fair play to the boy for showing a bit of ambition but he's only played a handful of games so he has developed an over-inflated sense of worth if he thinks he has the ability to transcend the SPL.  Exciting though he was, we can't be sure just how long his good form would last for nor if he truly is the real deal.  I wont lose any sleep over a player who's barely kicked a ball for us, and maybe that's where the club was coming from in offering him such a measly contract.  The club's fault here is that they have allowed yet another promising young player's contract to run down, but are they really in the wrong to have waited this long?  He did nothing last season to suggest he'd be an important player this year.  It's just a sign of the times.  The SPL is a dead duck.

He's injured just now anyway and with Megginson and Pawlett back, I'd move him on in January and wouldn't play him again - let these guys stake their claim for a place.

I just can't believe that he believes he's ready to play at a higher level given that he played 2 full matches! I think it's a combination of actually thinking that and his head has been turned by his agent/clubs/money/all. We've all been here before, we've seen it happen with McNaughton, Maguire, Fyvie, Grimmer etc and with the exception of McNaughton, I'm struggling to think what any of the other three have actually done since leaving AFC. If that doesn't motivate you to sign another contract, learn the game a bit more and then move on a better player, then I don't know what will. At the minute, he is choosing to rot in the reserves rather than first team football. Not a chance does he have the fitness or the stamina to make it in a tougher league yet and we'll see all this pish 'Give me 6 months', 'Ryan is an outstanding prospect and one that we will look to play in the next 12 months' blah blah blah. Utter shite. Gary Naysmith should be a cracking example of what you can do if you just learn the trade a bit and then move on, he carved out a good career for himself down in England.

I wish the loon all the best but I just can't help feel that he's been talking a good talk for a while now but had no intention of signing a new contract. I understand that AFC signed him to the maximum they could for an 18 year old so I don't really blame the club for this latest contract debacle (for once). This is just the way that the game and players have gone unfortunately. For us to receive a big sum, we would need someone in the mould of Russell Anderson who stayed for a number of years, signed contracts with little fuss, performed brilliantly week in, week out and then took his chance when it came to him. More often than not, we're met with this. Players who have played a handful of first team games (Maguire 131 according to Wiki, how many of which would you say that he played well in? Fyvie - 58 games, Grimmer - 4 appearances and Fraser - 2 full games/16 appearances), their ego is inflated and big money moves spoken about. Rarely is the grass greener on the other side.

what "next" is there though? we've had this crop of prospects around for a while. Not heard anything to suggest there's more coming through of same standard.

fair enough it's probably disappointment talking but the '2 full games played' is a red herring. he's been by far and away the best player on the pitch in around a dozen league games this season. we are a much poorer side without him.

youth development is vital, but all we're doing is barely covering costs of developing a player, and any money raised goes straight to the bank. there's no ambition in this set up, so little wonder the players feel the need to move on asap.