Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SPL Young Player of the Month is....aka The Ryan Fraser Thread

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bournemouth have to play most of the bottom 6 on their run in, so on paper they should be beating these teams however they'll all be fighting for their L1 survival. Probably not the best environment to be developing a young player. I also wonder if they don't go up now, how much interest the Russians will have next season.

Bournemouth have to play most of the bottom 6 on their run in, so on paper they should be beating these teams however they'll all be fighting for their L1 survival. Probably not the best environment to be developing a young player. I also wonder if they don't go up now, how much interest the Russians will have next season.

Looks like they have vastly overspent and are already starting to cut costs with backroom staff going in an apparent 're-structuring' programme and David James not getting played and then going. Looks to me, like they are getting ready for the possibility of not going up.

• 2 years later...

Doubt that.

He's been bench warming in the Championship.  I think he played 90 minutes once in the Championship last season and most appearances were less than 45 minutes.  Canna see him featuring in their plans much next year.

I was really disappointed in him when he left.  I thought it was a poor move for his development but I have absolutely no doubt he won't have any regrets so you've got to say fair play to him.

It's impossible to say if he'd have developed into a better player had he stayed here but I'm sure he'd have got a lot more game time and I still think that would have been valuable to him.

By all accounts, Eddie Howe seems to be getting all the plaudits just now so maybe he will be a really positive influence on Fraser's career but I think McInnes could have been too.

Howe's job will change dramatically in the coming months.  I doubt Fraser will feature much in their future plans, but I've been plenty wrong about Bournemouth before so who knows.

Despite the limited game time he has had, Fraser has certainly managed way more appearances than both Fyvie and Grimmer and I think all three would be solid SPL players despite the lack of game time.  Maybe they were all right to move on.

Ultimately, I think it'll depend what happens in the next two seasons or so. He's still young enough to make a real impact on the top flight or the Championship.

We might have to reassess some of the guys who left. If Fraser is even on the fringes of a Premier League side, I think we'd have to say that he's made the right move for his career. After a very slow start, I think Grimmer probably feels he's made the right move as well, given he's been much closer to the first-team under Symons at Fulham. Obviously, it's still the bottom of the Championship rather than Europe, and it's a few lost years, but they're a team who are a Premier League side behind the scenes.

I just hope we've got some good add-ons for these guys, whether they make it to the big time or not.

Doubt that.

He's been bench warming in the Championship.  I think he played 90 minutes once in the Championship last season and most appearances were less than 45 minutes.  Canna see him featuring in their plans much next year.

I was really disappointed in him when he left.  I thought it was a poor move for his development but I have absolutely no doubt he won't have any regrets so you've got to say fair play to him.

It's impossible to say if he'd have developed into a better player had he stayed here but I'm sure he'd have got a lot more game time and I still think that would have been valuable to him.

By all accounts, Eddie Howe seems to be getting all the plaudits just now so maybe he will be a really positive influence on Fraser's career but I think McInnes could have been too.

Howe's job will change dramatically in the coming months.  I doubt Fraser will feature much in their future plans, but I've been plenty wrong about Bournemouth before so who knows.

Despite the limited game time he has had, Fraser has certainly managed way more appearances than both Fyvie and Grimmer and I think all three would be solid SPL players despite the lack of game time.  Maybe they were all right to move on.

In all honesty Stooge, there was more than a hint of sarcasm in my post. I concur that he is likely to see even less time on the pitch next season if he only started six games for Bournemouth in the Championship. Given they have reached the land of milk and honey would imagine they'll splash the cash on two or three big name players.

Fraser aside, it is quite an achievement for a club that was on the verge of dropping out of the leagues a mere six years ago.

Aye, it's a fairytale for sure.

Club nearly goes out of business, gets bought by an oligarch, gets to the premiership, cant attract premiership quality but overspends on journeymen, gets relegated, oligarch loses interest, club goes out of business when it can't sustain its new position.

Beautiful.  Football, isn't it.  Mmmm.