Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

SPL Young Player of the Month is....aka The Ryan Fraser Thread

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's really impressed me is Fraser's consistency.  It's not often you have an 18 yr old play at a high level for 3 or 4 consecutive games, but he's surpassed that standard to the extent where he really could (and probably should) have won back-to-back monthly awards.

I don't think anyone will expect him to keep up this consistency, even Craig Brown has said he doesn't expect him to play every week, whether to protect him or otherwise, but with the level he is playing at, it is incredibly difficult to drop him, and with good wide players on our books like Hayes and McGinn, that is a ringing endorsement to him.  I hope Peter Pawlett sees this and ups his game at St Johnstone for when he comes back, because now all of a sudden Pawlett (a player I have previously admired) doesn't appear to be all that.  Keep it up loon.

I see he is off with the Scotland u19s to play 3 games in 8 days.  It's obviously great seeing out players represent their countries but I'm not sure there is much benefit in Ryan playing in the u19s.  Surely that squad is about giving players experience at a level above reserve football but Ryan will benefit much more surely from getting a rest and playing regularly in the SPL.  I would perhaps accept him turning out for the u21s but to have an spl regular off playing for the u19s seems counter productive.  Hopefully he is used sparingly as would be a shame if Brown ended up having to rest him after the international break

I see he is off with the Scotland u19s to play 3 games in 8 days.  It's obviously great seeing out players represent their countries but I'm not sure there is much benefit in Ryan playing in the u19s.  Surely that squad is about giving players experience at a level above reserve football but Ryan will benefit much more surely from getting a rest and playing regularly in the SPL.  I would perhaps accept him turning out for the u21s but to have an spl regular off playing for the u19s seems counter productive.  Hopefully he is used sparingly as would be a shame if Brown ended up having to rest him after the international break

well said

With the amount of SPL fitba' he's been playing, there's no danger of him playing anything like all 3 matches. He'll be there mainly for the whole 'team-bonding' part of playing 3 games in a week.

"Good to have about the place" and all that jazz.

Think if the U21s had been playing meaningful games he may well have got moved up but as U21 games this month are friendlies I can see why SFA have left him with the U19s for the qualifiers. I am happy enough with him playing as it will give him experience of playing against different styles of players over the next week which can only be of a benefit for the player and the Dons in the long run. Also international apperances help the compo figure when he leaves on a free at the end of his deal.

Edit: Meant to add that its a pity U19 game is at Hamilton tomorrow as would have headed over to see how he gets on if it had been at Falkirk like the rest of the games.

Think if the U21s had been playing meaningful games he may well have got moved up but as U21 games this month are friendlies I can see why SFA have left him with the U19s for the qualifiers. I am happy enough with him playing as it will give him experience of playing against different styles of players over the next week which can only be of a benefit for the player and the Dons in the long run. Also international apperances help the compo figure when he leaves on a free at the end of his deal.

Fair enough I suppose, didn't really know what fixture the age-group squads had. Still at this stage the greater benefit will be from the SPL.  Do u19 appearances count with regards to compo, how is that worked out?