Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Europa League Playoff - BK Hacken vs Dons

First of our European games this season and not sure the team are quite ready for it. We've played Hacken before under Glass and won, but I think it's widely agreed that we caught them cold that time around. Current Swedish champions and beat Vilnius 8-1 on aggregate, so they'll be no pushovers.  Regardless, i'm jealous of all those going, miss those euro games being this side of the world now.

Will still be too early for McGarry, but it was quite clear our left side is our weakest side so somehow, we'll probably have to keep it tight to try and make a proper go of it at Pittodrie. Not sure how we do that just yet, but try we must. We've got a few players that are not playing in their ideal position and we're clearly also lacking a few others. Will we see Scales? I'd hope we see the same intensity we saw against the tims, and then we might have a chance.

Out
Bed
Hopefully manage to avoid too many meetings first thing, but travelling / work
Work
2-1 Hacken, Clarkson

Defence will be interesting, as can't see Morris being dropped, Devlin likely plays too, but MacDonald surely comes back into the team. Is it a straight MacDonald for Rubezic swap or does Robson try and include both?

In the absence of McGarry and Hayes, and Duncan not quite hitting the heights at LWB, I'd actually be inclined to play Morris on the left.

He can't cross anyway so doesn't really matter what side he starts on.

It would allow Devlin to start RWB, and MacDonald and Rubezic to both play.

(that away strip is difficult to recreate)

IMG_0525.thumb.jpeg.6d0576481659a64253d8cc35a36cdc8d.jpeg

1 hour ago, Panda said:

In the absence of McGarry and Hayes, and Duncan not quite hitting the heights at LWB, I'd actually be inclined to play Morris on the left

Hayes was on the bench last night, surely he'll be available? Morris appears to have zero left foot whatsoever, if it was in front of a very good left centre half it'd be okay, but would be far too risky given our current performance levels. Personally, I'd just drop him for Devlin and have Rubezic play right of MacDonald. If Hayes isn't fit, then Duncan it is (he did well defensively against the Tims). I'd rather we remained reasonably solid first away from home, and I don't think Morris adds anything in that regard, so leave him as an impact sub if the need arises.

Midfield is possibly a bigger headache. I think that away from home we should sit with two and Clarkson in front. Polvara doesn't have the legs of Ramadani to sit further forward.

32 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Hayes was on the bench last night, surely he'll be available? Morris appears to have zero left foot whatsoever, if it was in front of a very good left centre half it'd be okay, but would be far too risky given our current performance levels. Personally, I'd just drop him for Devlin and have Rubezic play right of MacDonald. If Hayes isn't fit, then Duncan it is (he did well defensively against the Tims). I'd rather we remained reasonably solid first away from home, and I don't think Morris adds anything in that regard, so leave him as an impact sub if the need arises.

Midfield is possibly a bigger headache. I think that away from home we should sit with two and Clarkson in front. Polvara doesn't have the legs of Ramadani to sit further forward.

Nor the bite of Rama, he's defo more a creative type than terrier. Rama must be replaced, if Shinnie got injured we would be very light in the ball winning midfielder stakes.  I did hear rumour Dadia has played there before but that's not ideal.  Ideally we bring in that type of cm before Thursday but I'm not holding my breath. 

I think we were good against Celtic in a big game, we’ve got to remember that. We were poor (ish) yesterday but let’s not overreact. 
I think it’s Macdonald in for morris and move devlin to right wing back. Hayes for Duncan if he’s fit enough then the rest is the same. While morris hasn’t been as shite it’s clear to see to all, including Robson, that he’s limited. Away from home too it makes sense to go with the more solid defender at wing back too, so haves and devlin make more sense.

can’t see a center mid being signed and playing Thursday unless it’s a big time signing. 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

But didn't play, not even a 15 minute cameo to get some minutes in the legs ahead of Sweden.

Yep, you're probably right. I was assuming that Hayes wouldn't need a run out, but as OD says, Duncan was struggling. Maybe Devlin can play left back.

Watched Hacken 3-2 IK Sirius. Hacken won it through an own goal in the 96th minute.

Wasn't impressed with Hacken at all. Sirius (who are 12th in the Swedish league) played a back five which Hacken struggled with, just knocking it aimlessly before launching balls into the box. That the Sirius' defence was pretty gash is how Hacken eventually got through.

But at the other end Sirius would play long balls down the side to their two front men, drill it across the box, and the home defence really struggled. They scored two and could have had more. At 2-1 up they hit the post and had a goal ruled out for offside, but replay appeared to show he was on (no VAR).

Aberdeen can definitely get goals on Thursday. Hacken do have a few players with good movement and we're not defending too solidly just now, but if Hacken play like that against us we've got a chance. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Watched Hacken 3-2 IK Sirius. Hacken won it through an own goal in the 96th minute.

Wasn't impressed with Hacken at all. Sirius (who are 12th in the Swedish league) played a back five which Hacken struggled with, just knocking it aimlessly before launching balls into the box. That the Sirius' defence was pretty gash is how Hacken eventually got through.

But at the other end Sirius would play long balls down the side to their two front men, drill it across the box, and the home defence really struggled. They scored two and could have had more. At 2-1 up they hit the post and had a goal ruled out for offside, but replay appeared to show he was on (no VAR).

Aberdeen can definitely get goals on Thursday. Hacken do have a few players with good movement and we're not defending too solidly just now, but if Hacken play like that against us we've got a chance. 

Yasss, the optimism I was looking for!