Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Match Thread - Sporting v Aberdeen

The games are coming thick and fast right now.

Will this week see the end of our Thursday/Sunday run of games or will we take another step closer to the Holy Grail of Europa League group stage qualification ?

Part of me has the major fear about Thursday's match and think our best and possibly only chance of going through here might be if the opposition chuck it given their Covid infection. The other part of me however thinks that this is typical of when McInnes pulls it out of the hat as he has previous of pulling off results post a capitulation in the match prior to it.

Head says Sporting, heart says Dandies

2-1 them I'm afraid 

Please prove me wrong.

I expect McInnes to revert to type for this one. No attempt to play nice fitba. I think we'll see a 4-5-1 and hope to scrape a 1-0 or take it all the way to pens. Shame, as I'd really love us to work out the defence and continue with the 3 (I'd have Considine, Hoban and Logan) as it makes us a far more watchable fitba team.

My team:

-----------------Lewis------------------

-----Logan-----Hoban-----Considine---

Kennedy---McRorie--Ferguson---Hayes

--------Hedges--------Wright----------

--------------Watkins------------------

McInnes' team:

Logan----Hoban---Considine----Hayes

----------------McRorie----------------

Hedges--McGeouch-Ferguson--Kennedy

----------------Watkins-----------------

9 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

I expect McInnes to revert to type for this one. No attempt to play nice fitba. I think we'll see a 4-5-1 and hope to scrape a 1-0 or take it all the way to pens. Shame, as I'd really love us to work out the defence and continue with the 3 (I'd have Considine, Hoban and Logan) as it makes us a far more watchable fitba team.

My team:

-----Logan-----Hoban-----Considine---

Kennedy---McRorie--Ferguson---Hayes

--------Hedges--------Wright----------

--------------Watkins------------------

McInnes' team:

Logan----Hoban---Considine----Hayes

----------------McRorie----------------

Hedges--McGeouch-Ferguson--Kennedy

----------------Watkins-----------------

I'd prefer we go with the McInnes formation anyway, although I'd go with the two holding mids of McCrorie and Ferguson behind an attacking 3 of Hedges Wright and McGinn since Kennedy is injured. Think McGinn's legs are gone so I'd possibly even go for Hernandez or McLennan. I'm far from convinced the back 3 is the way to go, and Viking exposed us a bunch but didn't obviously score. I fear a team like Sporting, regardless of players missing due to covid, would rip our back 3, especially without McKenna, and if it's Taylor.......ugh.

Anyone know which of their players are out due to COVID-19? Is it all first picks or fringe players or mixture of both? You know how the newspapers love to sensationalize things - there is probably only 2 of their first team regulars and the rest will be 'squad members'! I am praying it is all their key players though!! ?

So glad the club are showing this again. Really wish I had cancelled my Premier Sports as soon as the first match was over. What a waste of money!  Looking forward to it tonight, I just hope that we got the glitch out of our system on Sunday and we are right back up for it again tonight! I am hoping that the loss of players and manager and lack of game time for Sporting will play in our favour. There will be huge pressure on them to win as it would be seen as an embarrassment if they lost to us. Even although Rangers beat Portuguese opposition twice last season.

Just as not getting a striker in for the Apollon game a few years ago was a big issue, I think that letting McKenna go before this one is also going to prove fatal. I know that the club probably had little room for maneouvre this time, but timing is so important. I think we might have had a chance with that settled back 3 if we really went at them, but I don't see us being good enough with any of our options in defence. I think a back four, of Logan, Hoban, Considine and Hayes would be solid enough, but I just don't see us scoring a goal in a 4-5-1, so we'd be left with a glorious failure. Wright had his poor game at the weekend, so that'll be the trigger for McInnes to put McGeouch in. I expect us to see another glorious failure tonight*. A hard fought 1-0 loss.

*unless Covid has truly fucked their squad.

They have nine first team players out according to BBC. These cunts have a B team don't they? I'm guessing they can't just promote from that though, because they are an entirely different team, so would be subject to a transfer. Would they be allowed to loan Ryan Gauld for the game for example?

Edit: no, because he doesn't play for their B team anymore it seems!

Edited by RicoS321

Taylor in a back 3 is as good as forfeiting the game. Has to be a back 4 preferably with Hoban and Considine as the two centre backs. Agree with Rico that the draw back of 4-5-1 is we are unlikely to create many chances. Would be very disappointed if Wright is dropped but can see it happening. If he is fit can see Edmundson playing up front with Watkins replacing Wright as attacking midfielder allowing McInnes to return to hoofball. 

Oot
Working

TV

Flat

2-1 defeat with Ferguson getting Dons goal.