Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

3 hours ago, Madbadteacher said:

I’m torn.

i really want to see Andy and Ross get full caps but I fear the risk of injury and almost don’t want them to play

Nonsense. We need to be cashing in on prospects like Considine. A couple of goals and we could be looking at another £6 or 7 million added to his value.

4 hours ago, wee toon red said:

3 products of our maligned youth system involved tonight, plus McLean, shankland and mccrorie. Not bad.

Come to think of it, was O’Donnell one of “ours” as a boy too?

Is it Maligned though? I always think its done ok over the years. Often our problem seems to be keeping our top talents (Which we have got better at recently) or giving them game time needed to make the step up to first team level (Which I feel still needs some improvement). 

14 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

Is it Maligned though? I always think its done ok over the years. Often our problem seems to be keeping our top talents (Which we have got better at recently) or giving them game time needed to make the step up to first team level (Which I feel still needs some improvement). 

How many top talents have we actually lost though? Fraser, maybe grimmer? We didn't lose Jack, he played for us a long time. 

Our youth has done okay, not great. It's got a fairly high wastage. We seem to have a poor conversion rate on some fairly promising talent. It's definitely not been a success under McInnes.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

How many top talents have we actually lost though? Fraser, maybe grimmer? We didn't lose Jack, he played for us a long time. 

Our youth has done okay, not great. It's got a fairly high wastage. We seem to have a poor conversion rate on some fairly promising talent. It's definitely not been a success under McInnes.

I think probably most youth systems do have a high degree of waste. I mean you have so many youngsters in these systems nowadays the amount that will actually break through is always going to be a small percentage. If you go back we lost some good youngsters, how good exactly we will never know as they went to places where they suffered the same fate as our current crop, which seems to be no route into the first team. I accept that people might debate how best to develop young players. The opinion Ive formed from my observations are that the one's who do best are the one's who get the opportunity to kick on and have a manager that inspires confidence in them.

I think it has some relevance to how we have fared as a nation as well. For too long good Scottish youngsters and players in general have been a cheap option for championship clubs benches. Hopefully this is beginning to change with our clubs generally not in the dire financial positions they used to be in early 2000's.

Point being is it not a case of not having decent youngsters coming through, its the inability to integrate them into the first team that I believe is our undoing. I'm generally in the pro McInnes camp overall but i feel this is one of his failings.

Anyway I don't want to derail the thread completely as this could have a thread of its own. So good on Consi, hope he gets a decent run and a chance to add to his haul of caps. Fingers crossed he will score a hatrick against the Czechs.

6 hours ago, wee toon red said:

Great performance by the big man tonight.

Also good to see a more solid and identifiable shape starting to emerge over the last couple of games.

Absolutely, he did our club proud. Superb start to my day! I only watched because he got the call up as the national team barely register these days. But as I said, great to see him in the national jersey.