Author Topic: St Johnstone V Aberdeen  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Lencarl

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 5
Re: St Johnstone V Aberdeen
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2018, 07:01:36 PM »
Thought i'd done well getting onto the St J slip road at 2.15,after leaving ABZ at 12.45.Was still in traffic after kick off when the polis stopped traffic going towards McDiarmid and diverted us towards the town centre.
   GTF I thought, and headed home     ::)

According to the radio,sounded quite an open game,and we were at our more effective when we went 4-4-2?pressing high up the pitch? Pity we didnt start like that.
   Dont know if we took our foot off the peddle after the goal to settle for a draw,...hope not.More of the same might have won us the game.
  Sounded like May was more starved of service than total mince?,but those at the game might have seen different

No, May IS total mince. He ran around like a headless chicken again. He did nothing. How the hell can D.M not see  this, The fans do.
NEVER plan ahead.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -108
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
worse start to a season since 2012.. keep clapping
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline CvB

• Bench Warmer
  • Rating: 17
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
Agree. He was rubbish again today. Loan him out to a Championship club or use him as a sub. Watching the game he did nothing at all to contribute to the game.

I'd say that out of the 3 strikers used, Cosgrove was the most productive, Anderson the least productive. May wasn't that bad, just not a lot going towards him, especially the first half.

Offline ayrshire_don74

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: -108
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2018, 07:43:49 PM »
productive? how many goals has he scored
MR GRUMPY IS HERE

Offline A llad insane

• First Team
  • Rating: 13
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2018, 07:45:14 PM »
Not long back, Cosgrove was far more effective than May, as was young Anderson, May really was abysmal.
Shocker of a performance 1st half, much better 2nd half probably as a result of a right rocket at h.t.
Shinnie,McGinn & G.M.S all much better after the break, Gleeson decent enough on ball, but very slow, Forrester just nah!
Well on top at the end & if game had gone another 5-10mns we would probably have won, too little too late.

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 36
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »
Well that was worth the 27 year wait (not)

First half we were god awful. Forrester is joining Gleeson in the TC written off permanently basement. Gleeson still looks overweight and runs out of steam after 55-60 minutes resulting in us always having to sub him. At least Ball can give a full 90 minutes.

Shinnie.......wtf has happened to him? Looks like he is working his ticket right now and tbh if he keeps up this level of shiteness I'll be glad to see the back of him.

May......I've been generous to him but I think he is playing within himself as he knows he is fucked physically. Time to bin him for Anderson.

Had loads of possession and the second half was much better than the first. Lowe looks a decent acquisition, GMS was lively and McGinn though largely anonymous rescued the point with a fabulous free kick. Could have won it with their keeper making a few good saves late on, Cosgrove should have given their keeper no chance but was still a cracking save. GMS looked like he was pulled down in the box in injury time, Gollum was only 5 yards or so away with a clear view.....I'd like to see that one on tv.

A point sadly is disastrous for us with Hearts nearly unassailable already for us and both Hibs and sevco winning. Looks like a long season ahead...

Offline A llad insane

• First Team
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »
Well that was worth the 27 year wait (not)

First half we were god awful. Forrester is joining Gleeson in the TC written off permanently basement. Gleeson still looks overweight and runs out of steam after 55-60 minutes resulting in us always having to sub him. At least Ball can give a full 90 minutes.

Shinnie.......wtf has happened to him? Looks like he is working his ticket right now and tbh if he keeps up this level of shiteness I'll be glad to see the back of him.

May......I've been generous to him but I think he is playing within himself as he knows he is fucked physically. Time to bin him for Anderson.

Had loads of possession and the second half was much better than the first. Lowe looks a decent acquisition, GMS was lively and McGinn though largely anonymous rescued the point with a fabulous free kick. Could have won it with their keeper making a few good saves late on, Cosgrove should have given their keeper no chance but was still a cracking save. GMS looked like he was pulled down in the box in injury time, Gollum was only 5 yards or so away with a clear view.....I'd like to see that one on tv.

A point sadly is disastrous for us with Hearts nearly unassailable already for us and both Hibs and sevco winning. Looks like a long season ahead...

T.C , ive watched it again on t.v (alba), defo pen.for us as G.M.S was fouled, i wouldnt quite say disasterous quite yet, long way to go, players to return, hearts will fall, hibs no great shakes, celtic stuttering.
Was disappointed with our recruitment in the summer with only really Devlin & Ferguson looking the part.
Where was Ferguson today ?

Offline Jute

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 20
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
Another game where we rarely looked like scoring. Little creation and strikers who look like they have no idea where the goal is. Very disappointed with Forrester. Looks totally out of his depth. As others have said Gleeson seems to fade badly after 60 minutes. Shinnie was very poor today with possibly worst performance in a Dons shirt.

Any news on what’s up with Ferguson.

Offline A llad insane

• First Team
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2018, 09:06:16 PM »
Another game where we rarely looked like scoring. Little creation and strikers who look like they have no idea where the goal is. Very disappointed with Forrester. Looks totally out of his depth. As others have said Gleeson seems to fade badly after 60 minutes. Shinnie was very poor today with possibly worst performance in a Dons shirt.

Any news on what’s up with Ferguson.

Thought Shinnie was shocking 1st half, improved after h.t

Online manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 76
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »
I don't think folk should look at the Burnley games as a barometer for this team.  They were essentially two cup finals and they always take care of themselves.  The real performance level of this team appears to be what we've seen thus far.  The issues we've all known for some time (DM knows these too) are there for all to see, striker (lack of) creativity (lack of) he tried to address these, albeit poorly. Disappointing to hear that Shinnie's performance levels seem to be dropping. Hopefully once we get the team fully fit we'll see a marked change, certainly too soon to panic, but it's not looking great.

Offline Lencarl

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 5
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
A few folk calling for DM to go after the display yesterday. I am not in that camp but we really need to get back to winning matches again. If we win against Motherwell all will be well, but another draw or loss may turn the majority of fans against the manager.
NEVER plan ahead.

Offline Elgindon

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 21
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2018, 10:40:08 AM »
 DM must go calls are a bit OTT. This isnt to defend DM but according to the stats,we had 17 chances yesterday,to St J's 4,with us having 7 shots on target and them having 3.
    I'm guessing most of those chances came after we went a goal down,played with a bit more urgency and with 2 up front? Certainly sounded like it on the radio.Food for thought
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:06:22 AM by Elgindon »

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
It was a hard watch for a lot of yesterday.

Thought McGinn looked a lot brighter, scored a great goal, looked to come in centrally and tried to create. Unfortunately there just wasn't a lot of movement ahead of him. He also made a great run in behind the defence when Ball played him in - we need our strikers doing that but it's just not happening.
GMS was also very direct and at times took the responsibility of taking the game to Saints. Think he's looking a lot better for us this season, bit more consistency and maturity in his performances.

Downside - centre mid and up front. Ferguson obviously a miss in there, Forrester looked a bit lost still. Gleeson not doing much of note other than a cracking ball out wide in the first half - would like to see him do more of that but he's got his head down too much. Shinnie wasn't really at it either.
Stevie May was murder, offering us nothing at the moment, if he's picked next week i will be amazed. McInnes has to bite the bullet on this one, it's not happening for him and it doesn't look it's going to change anytime soon.

I never felt St Johnstone would get a second and on the whole we defended well enough, just going forward we don't have much about us at the moment.

Special mention to Willie Collum... a consistently terrible referee.
It's not about escaping. It's about getting out with a bit of dignity.
If you're in it, don't fucking moan about it, make it yours and leave a mark

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -61
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »
There are many times I can accuse Collum of bias.

The rest of the time I just accuse him of being shite.

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -144
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2018, 10:13:39 PM »
This is all a bit predictable and sad. Didn't see the game but listening to your accounts re Stevie May and lack of attacking threats etc. it really shouldn't be a surprise.

Fans turning against McInnes however is a surprise. He's undoubtedly the best AFC manager this century, probably for over a quarter of a century actually. Just because I can't stand him and have never liked him (and I despise people like him) this doesn't negate the fact that he's got more basic skills for the job than any who preceded him in the years since he was a schoolboy. If some are turning against him now, what changed?

McInnes hasn't changed. He's always done the same things. What is going through the heads of the AFC fans that have now turned against him? I am reminded of Limmy's "she's turned the weans against us". It's madness at play here. Who's available that's better? Milne ain't budging. They're not thinking straight. It's all prescribed. By history actually. The history of AFC and how a club with soul once upon a time got bought and sold.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Online CtS

• Captain
  • Rating: 116
  • In like Flynn.
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2018, 12:30:03 AM »
People are calling for the manager to be sacked? Why? Because Stevie May’s let us down? Because Shinnie’s having a bad run of form? Or because we’ve played the whole season so far with injury/suspension problems that couldn’t have been foreseen?
We’ve maybe been lucky in previous seasons to have avoided situations like this with important players missing EVERY week, but it has caught up with us this season. But how anyone can say Heart's lead is unassailable already, after 5 games, is fucking mind blowing to me. I hope the manager doesn’t read this shite. Maybe it won’t be our year, maybe it will, I’m just relieved that the majority of the fans are level headed enough to realise we’re a work in progress - unlike some of the miserable cunts on here.

Aberdonians. Only happy when they’re unhappy.
<< Be young, have fun, taste Christian. >>

Offline donsdaft

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: -61
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2018, 04:11:21 AM »
Dithering and knicker flashing to the Hun last season.

He'd have to win the treble for folk to forget that.

Offline Ten Caat

• Star Striker
  • Rating: 36
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
People are calling for the manager to be sacked? Why? Because Stevie May’s let us down? Because Shinnie’s having a bad run of form? Or because we’ve played the whole season so far with injury/suspension problems that couldn’t have been foreseen?
We’ve maybe been lucky in previous seasons to have avoided situations like this with important players missing EVERY week, but it has caught up with us this season. But how anyone can say Heart's lead is unassailable already, after 5 games, is fucking mind blowing to me. I hope the manager doesn’t read this shite. Maybe it won’t be our year, maybe it will, I’m just relieved that the majority of the fans are level headed enough to realise we’re a work in progress - unlike some of the miserable cunts on here.

Aberdonians. Only happy when they’re unhappy.

I said Hearts lead is ALMOST unassailable. But 9 points is already a huge lead and we play the Dhims away in 2 games time. I think it will get bigger than 9 points shortly and there is no doubt Hearts have improved whilst we have gone backwards. I stand by my assertation. They will finish above us.....

AS for your claim that no one could have foreseen the injury situation we have suffered. Really?? McInnes' entire signing policy appears to be predicated on signing once decent players who have suffered severe, sometimes career threatening injuries, in the hope that they will once again return to former glories. May.....looks every inch of £400k down the toilet. Hoban......Crocked after 2 games and crocked again on his return, operation this week, should be about ready to return around the same time he gets his first Xmas card. Gleeson......no huge injuries but consistently hampered with niggling injuries all his career and did have the obligatory knee ligament damage at one point, also one manager quoted as saying he looks like he has an attitude problem. Wilson....18 fucking minutes we have seen of this guy since he signed.

I haven't called for DM's head this season ( i did want him out in January as I did/do believe he has taken us as far as he can) but it's obvious Wiggy thinks the sun shines out of his arse. It has been a poor start to the season but as I've said elsewhere, he will be allowed one dodgy season (unless we are in relegation trouble come Feb/March but I don't think we are that bad)  in view of his moderately successful tenure and there was no doubt a big rebuilding job was on his hands in the summer. Once the training centre is open then I do believe he will become sackable although by the end of that season he will have been here 7 years and might fancy a change by then anyway.

Offline RicoS321

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 66
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:41 AM »
Special mention to Willie Collum... a consistently terrible referee.

I actually thought Collum had a decent match at the weekend. I also thought is view of the pen - and it was definitely a pen - was obscured by one of their players moving in front of him when the incident occurred. In the end I think he had to guess, and the ref should always go with the defender in that instance (i.e. you have to actually see the pen to give it). I think Collum has vastly improved over the last couple of seasons if I'm honest. Seems to keep up with the play a lot more and takes his time over decisions where previously he would tank in flashing cairds.

Anyway, the dons are in a bit of a rut at the minute. They can't seem to put a consistent 11 together, and I'm not sure McInnes has decided his best 11 yet (same last season). I think that's to be expected with the new signings being not quite as hoped. Gleeson had a half decent 45 minutes, but it is very worrying that he couldn't complete the 90. It did look like he was covering more ground side to side and covering for the fullbacks too, so perhaps his tiredness is a function of him doing more work and he'll get better every week. Forrester looked like a slower, shiter, less dynamic Ferguson. A Rob Milsom type (possibly like Gleeson) who looks tidy on the ball but invariably does fuck all because he's too slow of mind to have the cutting edge. Shinnie had a poor first half but we're expecting a lot of him at the moment and I don't think we can be too quick to judge. May is currently benefiting from Wilson's injury status. He was utter pap at the weekend again. I completely understand McInnes giving him every chance to prove he can do it this season, but he's not taking that opportunity. Anderson looks a little bit 100mph when he came on and probably isn't quite there yet but he's definitely providing more than May. I think enough is enough with May now though he needs dropped for his own good. The things that he was doing well when he first arrived - getting in front of his man to take the ball from our midfield and running into the channels have now gone. He was beaten to the ball so often at the weekend it was like we were watching Maynard. He was hiding. I don't think Anderson is ready, but he'd be in the team on merit. It's a real worry that we'll have to rely on him this season.

Bobby, you asked why I thought we should shoe-horn Wright in even if injured and I think the game answered that one perfectly. Wright against St Mirren (I know, they were pish) was the only player who got us close enough to playing like a proper fitba team. He joined things together in that attacking midfield role between May and the rest of the team that no-one else seems capable of this season. It was slightly tongue in cheek as he's been poor more often than not, but it's increasingly looking like one of the few avenues we have left at the moment.

Offline BobbyBiscuit

• Manager
  • Rating: 51
« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
I actually thought Collum had a decent match at the weekend. I also thought is view of the pen - and it was definitely a pen - was obscured by one of their players moving in front of him when the incident occurred. In the end I think he had to guess, and the ref should always go with the defender in that instance (i.e. you have to actually see the pen to give it). I think Collum has vastly improved over the last couple of seasons if I'm honest. Seems to keep up with the play a lot more and takes his time over decisions where previously he would tank in flashing cairds.

The penalty incidents with McKenna in the first half - where Collum had a clear view of each of them - were terrible pieces of officiating. Particularly when Considine then took McKenna's place, as soon as he put his arm on the defender Collum blew for a foul, but it wasn't a foul the other way?  Weak refereeing and sums him up.
It's not about escaping. It's about getting out with a bit of dignity.
If you're in it, don't fucking moan about it, make it yours and leave a mark