Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

St Johnstone V Aberdeen

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st half was an abject display, the 2nd half was a lot more like us, a mixture of poor decision making and poor final passes let us down.

I still can't work out what type of Striker May is, is he being neglected by McInnes or is he just not up to it, given his previous injuries, which of course have an affect on players.

Thought Gleeson was neat & tidy again & probably should have stayed on? McGinn had flashes as did GMS, McKenna was good considering it was his first game back since the opening game. Shinnie did what he almost always does, tried to drive us on. Thought Lewis should have came for their cross at their goal, shouldn't concede from a header inside the 6 yard box in my opinion, but saved well from Alston in 2nd half.

Again, overall feeling is probably underwhelming. St Johnstone have now only lost 1 out of last 11, so their clearly doing well, whereas, for some bizarre reason, we look like we're regressing considering how well we did against Burnley. Domestically, only the Cup Game against a clearly struggling St Mirren has been anywhere near acceptable, the rest has been poor for me.

I'm not one for knee-jerk reactions, but this doesn't exactly inspire confidence:

"The reaction from the players in the second half was terrific," he told BBC Scotland.

"We lost a poor goal in a set play and St Johnstone were the better team in the first half, they were a bit more aggressive in the final third.

"We brought on Sam [Cosgrove], who was very effective for us, and the draw was no more than we deserved.

""There are positives to take, but we want to win games. It’s important that we find those little margins to turn one point into three."

Terrific reaction and we're just missing little margins? We were honking. We could be playing until next week and still wouldn't even look like coming lose to scoring in open play.

Thought i'd done well getting onto the St J slip road at 2.15,after leaving ABZ at 12.45.Was still in traffic after kick off when the polis stopped traffic going towards McDiarmid and diverted us towards the town centre.

GTF I thought, and headed home    ::)

According to the radio,sounded quite an open game,and we were at our more effective when we went 4-4-2?pressing high up the pitch? Pity we didnt start like that.

Dont know if we took our foot off the peddle after the goal to settle for a draw,...hope not.More of the same might have won us the game.

Sounded like May was more starved of service than total mince?,but those at the game might have seen different

Thought i'd done well getting onto the St J slip road at 2.15,after leaving ABZ at 12.45.Was still in traffic after kick off when the polis stopped traffic going towards McDiarmid and diverted us towards the town centre.

GTF I thought, and headed home    ::)

According to the radio,sounded quite an open game,and we were at our more effective when we went 4-4-2?pressing high up the pitch? Pity we didnt start like that.

Dont know if we took our foot off the peddle after the goal to settle for a draw,...hope not.More of the same might have won us the game.

Sounded like May was more starved of service than total mince?,but those at the game might have seen different

No, May IS total mince. He ran around like a headless chicken again. He did nothing. How the hell can D.M not see  this, The fans do.

Agree. He was rubbish again today. Loan him out to a Championship club or use him as a sub. Watching the game he did nothing at all to contribute to the game.

I'd say that out of the 3 strikers used, Cosgrove was the most productive, Anderson the least productive. May wasn't that bad, just not a lot going towards him, especially the first half.

Not long back, Cosgrove was far more effective than May, as was young Anderson, May really was abysmal.

Shocker of a performance 1st half, much better 2nd half probably as a result of a right rocket at h.t.

Shinnie,McGinn & G.M.S all much better after the break, Gleeson decent enough on ball, but very slow, Forrester just nah!

Well on top at the end & if game had gone another 5-10mns we would probably have won, too little too late.

Well that was worth the 27 year wait (not)

First half we were god awful. Forrester is joining Gleeson in the TC written off permanently basement. Gleeson still looks overweight and runs out of steam after 55-60 minutes resulting in us always having to sub him. At least Ball can give a full 90 minutes.

Shinnie.......wtf has happened to him? Looks like he is working his ticket right now and tbh if he keeps up this level of shiteness I'll be glad to see the back of him.

May......I've been generous to him but I think he is playing within himself as he knows he is fucked physically. Time to bin him for Anderson.

Had loads of possession and the second half was much better than the first. Lowe looks a decent acquisition, GMS was lively and McGinn though largely anonymous rescued the point with a fabulous free kick. Could have won it with their keeper making a few good saves late on, Cosgrove should have given their keeper no chance but was still a cracking save. GMS looked like he was pulled down in the box in injury time, Gollum was only 5 yards or so away with a clear view.....I'd like to see that one on tv.

A point sadly is disastrous for us with Hearts nearly unassailable already for us and both Hibs and sevco winning. Looks like a long season ahead...

Well that was worth the 27 year wait (not)

First half we were god awful. Forrester is joining Gleeson in the TC written off permanently basement. Gleeson still looks overweight and runs out of steam after 55-60 minutes resulting in us always having to sub him. At least Ball can give a full 90 minutes.

Shinnie.......wtf has happened to him? Looks like he is working his ticket right now and tbh if he keeps up this level of shiteness I'll be glad to see the back of him.

May......I've been generous to him but I think he is playing within himself as he knows he is fucked physically. Time to bin him for Anderson.

Had loads of possession and the second half was much better than the first. Lowe looks a decent acquisition, GMS was lively and McGinn though largely anonymous rescued the point with a fabulous free kick. Could have won it with their keeper making a few good saves late on, Cosgrove should have given their keeper no chance but was still a cracking save. GMS looked like he was pulled down in the box in injury time, Gollum was only 5 yards or so away with a clear view.....I'd like to see that one on tv.

A point sadly is disastrous for us with Hearts nearly unassailable already for us and both Hibs and sevco winning. Looks like a long season ahead...

T.C , ive watched it again on t.v (alba), defo pen.for us as G.M.S was fouled, i wouldnt quite say disasterous quite yet, long way to go, players to return, hearts will fall, hibs no great shakes, celtic stuttering.

Was disappointed with our recruitment in the summer with only really Devlin & Ferguson looking the part.

Where was Ferguson today ?

Another game where we rarely looked like scoring. Little creation and strikers who look like they have no idea where the goal is. Very disappointed with Forrester. Looks totally out of his depth. As others have said Gleeson seems to fade badly after 60 minutes. Shinnie was very poor today with possibly worst performance in a Dons shirt.

Any news on what’s up with Ferguson.

Another game where we rarely looked like scoring. Little creation and strikers who look like they have no idea where the goal is. Very disappointed with Forrester. Looks totally out of his depth. As others have said Gleeson seems to fade badly after 60 minutes. Shinnie was very poor today with possibly worst performance in a Dons shirt.

Any news on what’s up with Ferguson.

Thought Shinnie was shocking 1st half, improved after h.t

I don't think folk should look at the Burnley games as a barometer for this team.  They were essentially two cup finals and they always take care of themselves.  The real performance level of this team appears to be what we've seen thus far.  The issues we've all known for some time (DM knows these too) are there for all to see, striker (lack of) creativity (lack of) he tried to address these, albeit poorly. Disappointing to hear that Shinnie's performance levels seem to be dropping. Hopefully once we get the team fully fit we'll see a marked change, certainly too soon to panic, but it's not looking great.

DM must go calls are a bit OTT. This isnt to defend DM but according to the stats,we had 17 chances yesterday,to St J's 4,with us having 7 shots on target and them having 3.

I'm guessing most of those chances came after we went a goal down,played with a bit more urgency and with 2 up front? Certainly sounded like it on the radio.Food for thought

It was a hard watch for a lot of yesterday.

Thought McGinn looked a lot brighter, scored a great goal, looked to come in centrally and tried to create. Unfortunately there just wasn't a lot of movement ahead of him. He also made a great run in behind the defence when Ball played him in - we need our strikers doing that but it's just not happening.

GMS was also very direct and at times took the responsibility of taking the game to Saints. Think he's looking a lot better for us this season, bit more consistency and maturity in his performances.

Downside - centre mid and up front. Ferguson obviously a miss in there, Forrester looked a bit lost still. Gleeson not doing much of note other than a cracking ball out wide in the first half - would like to see him do more of that but he's got his head down too much. Shinnie wasn't really at it either.

Stevie May was murder, offering us nothing at the moment, if he's picked next week i will be amazed. McInnes has to bite the bullet on this one, it's not happening for him and it doesn't look it's going to change anytime soon.

I never felt St Johnstone would get a second and on the whole we defended well enough, just going forward we don't have much about us at the moment.

Special mention to Willie Collum... a consistently terrible referee.

This is all a bit predictable and sad. Didn't see the game but listening to your accounts re Stevie May and lack of attacking threats etc. it really shouldn't be a surprise.

Fans turning against McInnes however is a surprise. He's undoubtedly the best AFC manager this century, probably for over a quarter of a century actually. Just because I can't stand him and have never liked him (and I despise people like him) this doesn't negate the fact that he's got more basic skills for the job than any who preceded him in the years since he was a schoolboy. If some are turning against him now, what changed?

McInnes hasn't changed. He's always done the same things. What is going through the heads of the AFC fans that have now turned against him? I am reminded of Limmy's "she's turned the weans against us". It's madness at play here. Who's available that's better? Milne ain't budging. They're not thinking straight. It's all prescribed. By history actually. The history of AFC and how a club with soul once upon a time got bought and sold.