Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January Window

1 minute ago, BigAl said:

Patrik Myslovic confirmed

This one seems to have cone out of left wing.

Midfielder on loan until season end with us retaining exclusive rights to make permanent.

Looks like Barron is offski or we are playing 3-6-1 going forward

15 minutes ago, BigAl said:

This one seems to have cone out of left wing.

Midfielder on loan until season end with us retaining exclusive rights to make permanent.

Looks like Barron is offski or we are playing 3-6-1 going forward

Don’t rule out 1-6-3

Quick bit of scouting: Appears to be left footed but plays predominantly right of centre midfield.

Four goals in 18 games this season. 48 shots on goal compared to Clarkson (16) and Barron (5) suggests a more attacking player, but not quite a No.10.

MŠK sports manager Karol Belaník: "Aberdeen lost a player in his position, who was also on loan. Therefore, he should get the space and it will depend only on him if and how he succeeds. He has the football qualities for it, he can prove it during his half-year loan."

The three loan players are Clarkson, Coulson and Scales.

I don't see why Liverpool would benefit from cutting Clarkson's loan short - he's playing every week and isn't exactly going into the Liverpool team. Unless they have a loan lined up with an English Championship team where, presumably, they feel it'll be a higher standard.

Or Rangers. Clarkson worked with Michael Beale there...

Surely someone is going, either barron or Clarkson.  Defo pleased to get shinnie in, suspect Mcrorie is now our default rb (we seriously just need to pick a position and stick with it with him).  It will be interesting to see if there have been any technical improvements to his game but there's no doubt in my mind we are going to start winning more midfield battles with shinnie in the team.  Prior to his leaving it was really only brown that could put him in his place.  Not seeing a standout candidate in the league to do so now.  

I think Stewart could benefit from this as well, takes a bit of the leadership pressure off him.  That's no bad thing either, you want leaders all over the park. 

Still want a cb but other than that I think we are reasonable shape for the 2nd half of the season.  What a difference a day makes....

Left field signing, but i'm guessing that's Coulson recalled to go to another level. We've got an upgrade with Shinnie, and potentially this guy. Interesting 24 hours, we really needed some sort of boost before the semi (never mind the saints game) and this definitely starts to address that. Welcome aboard! Defender please, and give Shinnie the captaincy!

32 minutes ago, manc_don said:

and give Shinnie the captaincy!

This ⬆️

At last, a Scottish signing. :clap:

His best years may be behind him but we have signed someone with a genuine will to win, tenacity and desire who should grab a few by the scruff of the neck and drive the team on.  I'd almost say his character is the most important part of this signing, above what he will offer on a technical level on the pitch.  I said this before in a previous post, we are few too easy to play against.  We conceded just 5 fouls against Ross County, which is a recurring theme.  Time to roll the sleeves up, get stuck in and be a bit more horrible.

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

Left field signing, but i'm guessing that's Coulson recalled to go to another level

I think Coulson has found his level. He's a fantastic player, but his concentration levels and application are miles away from where they need to be. At the moment he can count himself very lucky to be keeping McKenzie out of the team, and against the Hun in a couple of weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see a more capable defender back in, or a switch to a three. 

I assumed it'd be Clarkson going back, but Coulson probably makes as much sense.

11 hours ago, Panda said:

Interesting quote from Goodwin, saying we now have five very good central midfielders in Shinnie, Myslovic, Clarkson, Barron and Ramadani.

Poor Dante Polvara at the back 🙋🏻‍♂️ 

Polvara needs to go on loan to get some experience of playing in adults football. We signed him staright from equivalent of a development league. Lad has no experience of playing full time football before now. 

12 hours ago, Panda said:

Interesting quote from Goodwin, saying we now have five very good central midfielders in Shinnie, Myslovic, Clarkson, Barron and Ramadani.

Also no mention on McCrorie. Does that mean Goodwin does not see him as playing in midfield going forward?

12 hours ago, Panda said:

Aye, we go from one extreme to the other! It's a difficult area of the pitch as, much like centre back, you really don't want too many fighting for places as you tend to have pairings that go together. Ideally, you have your preferred pairing (or three if that's your thing), a spare and a guy like McRorie that can be called upon when necessary (in response to jute, I'm hopeful this means no more McRorie in midfield, an astute call in my opinion). 

We've been at our best when we have a two in midfield with one further forward, so I'd split our midfield into holding midfielders and "in front". Thus, we're looking at Barron, Shinnie and Ramadani (the latter two probably the best pairing) as holding midfielders (4 and 8 if we're numbering them!) and Clarkson and Myslovič fechting it out for the number ten spot alongside likes of Besuijen and perhaps Kennedy dependent on who we're playing against. Clarkson can fill in further back if necessary. 

Today, I'd go:

------------Roos-----------

McRorie---Stewart---Scales---Coulson

-----------Ramadani---Shinnie----------

--Duncan------Clarkson-----Duk------

---------------Ramirez----------------

I expect to see Kennedy and Miovski in Goodwin's lineup.

6 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Today, I'd go:

------------Roos-----------

McRorie---Stewart---Scales---Coulson

-----------Ramadani---Shinnie----------

--Duncan------Clarkson-----Duk------

---------------Ramirez----------------

I expect to see Kennedy and Miovski in Goodwin's lineup.

Exactly what I've have picked too, though possible Hayes for Duncan and switch sides.

That's a decent side with plenty of options too.

26 minutes ago, scotfree said:

What's the go with the Shinnie loan? Is he here only until the end of the season or is It option to sign?  

Shinnie said he’ll decide in the summer but it sounds like his family moved back to Inverness and he’s been down south alone. That may work in our favor for him staying past the summer?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Shinnie said he’ll decide in the summer but it sounds like his family moved back to Inverness and he’s been down south alone. That may work in our favor for him staying past the summer?

There is slso the small matter of him being under contract at Wigan until the summer of 2024 to take into account. 

4 hours ago, BigAl said:

There is slso the small matter of him being under contract at Wigan until the summer of 2024 to take into account. 

Very true. Although for what it’s worth, Wigan paid 30k to sign shinnie from derby. Perhaps they may accept a ‘reasonable’ offer for him to go home to his family?

4 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

Very true. Although for what it’s worth, Wigan paid 30k to sign shinnie from derby. Perhaps they may accept a ‘reasonable’ offer for him to go home to his family?

Derby were in administration at the time and Shinnie's contract was going to expire 6months later. In better circumstances Id say Wigan would have been told to GTF