Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January Window

After watching that shite today it reminds me how much we desperately need a central midfielder. Barron and clarkson aren’t the combo, it has to be one of them and a more experienced head. While today was extreme we went 8 at the back and 2 up top for the most part, bypassing midfield and going long. Definitely a hard position to fill but a Jim Bett type that will run a game from midfield. We lack that player/experience/leadership.

All the noise we’ve heard is defensive signing focus in this windows but we have a large squad with a number of players who can play wing back or right back, we really lack any sort of depth in center mid.

• Like 1

Disagree. We don’t have a serviceable right back at the club so getting one is a priority. Don’t disagree about fact we have far to many wide attacking players and not enough central midfielders but right back for me is a must sort as a lot of our defensive issues are down to how poor Richardson is. 

1 hour ago, Jute said:

Disagree. We don’t have a serviceable right back at the club so getting one is a priority. Don’t disagree about fact we have far to many wide attacking players and not enough central midfielders but right back for me is a must sort as a lot of our defensive issues are down to how poor Richardson is. 

I suppose it depends. If it was a hypothetical one signing window, I'd go for a midfielder. I don't see how replacing right back solves the problems we had today for instance (Kennedy was good defensively today). A midfielder would open up many different options in terms of our overall setup. The only argument you could make is that a very good right back (Gurr, Hernandez for example) would allow a back four, but I'd have to be convinced that Stewart was good enough to have defenders running past him. We'd have to get a defender that was very capable of getting up and down, and most in our budget sacrifice one capability for the other. Even assuming that, you'd still be looking at McRorie in midfield in most games (given he's unlikely to be dropped), which is dubious in my opinion. 

Fortunately, it shouldn't be beyond us to get both a right back and a midfielder. Hopefully Goodwin knows this.

Think the midfield three of Clarkson-Ramadani-Barron is fine. All three have their deficiencies but if they didn't they wouldn't be at Aberdeen. Considering they were asked to play deep v Celtic, I'd say defensively they - for the most part - did their jobs.

If we're going to play 3-5-2 then the back three and the two wing backs are key.

A CB is a must. Stewart needs replaced (and Hayes should be made captain like he should have been in summer).

McCrorie for me should be given a chance at RWB. I don't think McCrorie enjoys it in defence. I think he wants to take the ball and go forward, that's his game. Three different Aberdeen managers now have played him either as a defender or a defensive midfielder, and he spends the afternoon making clearances. What a waste of a talented player.

On 17/12/2022 at 10:57, Jute said:

Richardson is certainly the target of many, but I don’t think he’s as bad as people say. Then again I don’t nearly see us play as much as you all do, but he’s also a young guy that can be developed. My issue is we have a large squad and Richardson, mccrorie, even Kennedy can play right back or wing back. If our midfield is better there’s less pressure on the defense, a better midfield results in a stronger defense. We have no central midfield depth,  or competition for places. No experienced/influential presence. We’re much more direct/long ball as the season has progressed, we need a midfielder running the show. Ramadani is purely defensive and we’re relying on two young kids. That’s not good enough for us IMHO and our increased directness is a product of a weak midfield.

Edited by OrlandoDon

Didn't realise that Scales wasn't here for the entire season. If there's no hope of getting him beyond the summer, then maybe best to look elsewhere in this window and let him go back. A good defender with a good left foot, but quite replaceable. There's a young lad doing quite well for St Johnstone this season who could be worth trying to snap up on a long term deal.

• Like 1

Really curious to see how January plays out. Most don’t rate Richardson, and many don’t seem overly keen on Stewart. Scales isn’t guaranteed to be back, correct? Assuming scales returns seems like a central defender who can also play right back is needed. Regardless of opinions on Stewart and Richardson, an injury to mccrorie or Stewart and we don’t have a back up. We have no depth there. I suggested playing Milne tomorrow, curious to see if he can play as that’s really all we have to step in. Come summer we always address a potential replacement for Stewart/Richardson, but in Stewart’s case, he isn’t going anywhere or getting dropped right now.

I’ll be really surprised is we sign a pure right back in January. We’ve got mccrorie Richardson Kennedy Morris Watkins Vinny even Duncan who can play back there if needed. While none are ideal, that’s a lot to simply now add more players and I have to assume finances come in to play. Seems like we should be punting one or two before adding, and there will be more options in the summer.

we have no central midfield depth, and this is my priority signing. Add a legit player in there to partner Barron or clarkson and it becomes a different game. May also allow ramadani to be purely holding mid and that also protects/strengthens that central defensive area. Comments made that Barron is on his way out suggests we’d then need two central midfielders. Tough window to find that.

we’ve got a big squad and do need to move players on. Can’t see us just adding more. 

McInnes was good at shifting on his own players that didn't work fairly quickly, it'll be interesting to see if Goodwin is of a similar nature. Given we paid fees for Richardson and Morris, it makes it less likely he can admit mistake and let them go, so perhaps both could go out on loan. Richardson's biggest issue is confidence. He's rabbit in headlights, he just panics. He's got great pace, but is so tentative going round a player, that he hasn't worked out how far in front he can kick it yet. Defensively, he just kicks or heads it wherever he's facing. Morris doesn't really have any redeeming qualities that I can see, just looks permanently below our level. We need to stop either player from being an option for the remainder of the season, so get them out the door. I think Roberts will be quietly sneaked out in this window or the next too. I'd like to see Ramirez moved on, and maybe even Watkins. High risk, perhaps, but even if one of the strikers got injured I could see Goodwin just changing formation ahead of starting either of the two. 

Right back will probably be seen as a way to perhaps allow us to play a back four at times, which I think Goodwin might like the option of (although I still see Stewart as a liability in that setup). If we can get Scales in this window, then we should. He's been decent and will get better with age. No point in risking looking elsewhere if we don't have to. Midfielder the priority as you say. Most importantly, we need to keep things ticking along and getting incremental improvement, whilst tidying up the dross. Kennedy probably deserves a stay of execution until summer.

I’d really like to see Roberts given a chance, but I think duk has totally changed the managers thinking so hard to see how he gets an extended run.  duk’s emergence resulted in us going 2 up top, and combined with our defensive weaknesses, 3 or 5 at the back depending on how you look at it. This means no midfield width, but utilizing wingbacks. On the left I think Hayes coulson and Mackenzie are decent, but we’ve got piss all on the right. Don’t see how we really go 4 at the back without a quality defender signed, ideally 2. That’s highly unlikely in January plus as I said before, Stewart won’t be dropped. Sad that we are now supporting an extended Kennedy stay when he’s shit. While different players with different qualities, he’s no better than Connor McLennan. And Morris appears worse. Just thought I’d throw that in. Vinny showed potential, young and inconsistent but worth keeping to see if he can kick on. the emergence of duk certainly influenced a formation change and Vinny lost out.

Edited by OrlandoDon

4 minutes ago, OrlandoDon said:

Sad that we are now supporting an extended Kennedy stay when he’s shit.

Just to clarify, I'm not supporting an extended stay, just suggesting he be allowed to stay until the summer when he can be let go at the end of his deal. Of course, I wouldn't care if he did leave in January, just not worth worrying about. I'm more concerned about shifting those on longer contracts, or guys like Ramirez that are out of favour and may be a bit more of a negative presence. Although Ramirez being there until his contract expires isn't the end of the world either. 

4 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

Just to clarify, I'm not supporting an extended stay, just suggesting he be allowed to stay until the summer when he can be let go at the end of his deal. Of course, I wouldn't care if he did leave in January, just not worth worrying about. I'm more concerned about shifting those on longer contracts, or guys like Ramirez that are out of favour and may be a bit more of a negative presence. Although Ramirez being there until his contract expires isn't the end of the world either. 

We’re saying the same thing. Kennedy may be the best of a bad lot, and I’m not fussed if any or all of those guys leave. Just sad that kennedy couldn’t get a look in and now looks potentially the best option on the right for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jute said:

I see Besijen has been allowed to head off back to Netherlands when we have a game today. Could he be another that’s on his way out. 

This pisses me off. He’s not the problem and this tactic has done fuck all for unity. The manager should have managed to get more out of him, that’s on him. 

what are our chances of getting scales permanently? I’m guessing they’ll be looking for £1m probably. 

1 hour ago, manc_don said:

This pisses me off. He’s not the problem and this tactic has done fuck all for unity. The manager should have managed to get more out of him, that’s on him. 

what are our chances of getting scales permanently? I’m guessing they’ll be looking for £1m probably. 

I was going to say this on the Hun thread regarding why he didn't come on, but forgot. He picked up that injury against the Atlanta primary school team, which looked a sore one. I wonder if he only made the bench against the scum as an absolute last resort option. If he's tweaked something again, or isn't quite fit, then a family Christmas back home for a few days might not be the worst thing for him. His long term future is doubtful. He's just not quite got the pace to really cause teams problems and I don't see huge room for development in his overall game. He's an intelligent enough player that with a lot of work could turn out a half decent signing for someone when he reaches his mid twenties peak. I'd persevere with him for another year maybe and see how he goes. 

Or it could be that he was so offended by Shayden Morris getting on a football pitch that he's decided that the football is no longer the sport for him.

12 hours ago, OrlandoDon said:

We’re saying the same thing. Kennedy may be the best of a bad lot, and I’m not fussed if any or all of those guys leave. Just sad that kennedy couldn’t get a look in and now looks potentially the best option on the right for now.

Personally, I think he's amazing. Always have. 

• Haha 1

I've changed my Christmas list to ask for a centre back instead of a midfielder. I hadn't really thought it was possible for Stewart to be so bad that Goodwin might change his mind, but I'm hoping today's performance seals it. With the league's best right back in Matty Kennedy, we can push McRorie into midfield when required and we're sorted.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigAl said:

Thirty two year old Kevin Long of Burnley allegedly on our wanted list.

Twelve years a Burnley player and only ninety odd appearances for them in that time.

Seventeen caps for 🇮🇪

Hardly long term planning. Are we just going to be linked with every Irish player who is looking for a gig. 

20 hours ago, Jute said:

Hardly long term planning. Are we just going to be linked with every Irish player who is looking for a gig. 

In fairness, we don't need long term planning for every position (in fact, it's probably safe to say that long term planning doesn't exist in fitba), a couple of years is absolutely fine. Stewart is 30, Long 32, not much difference. I think it's good that we're at least looking for a right sided defender. A bit of experience to replace Stewart's experience is useful too, although experience is largely irrelevant if you're pish as we know.

21 hours ago, Slim said:

Touch of the Alan Tates about him based on never having seen him play. 

Whilst Alan Tait wasn't a  overwhelming success with us  he did arrive at us still in his 20's and with close to 350 first team appearances for Swansea.