Wednesday 1 May 2024:  kick-off 7.05pm

Scottish Youth Cup Final - Aberdeen v Rangers

Live on the BBC Scotland channel

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

January Window

Aaron Reid loaned out to Elgin City. Look forward to being there for his debut next week...

In other news, Wigan have made Graeme Shinnie available. Unfortunately looks like a return to Derby is on the cards rather than a move back to us.

IF (and I won't believe it until he's spotted with a rowie in George Street) he comes back, it creates an interesting dynamic in the team.

General thinking is Barron won't still be here by the end of the window, so he could essentially be taking his place in the team.

If not, then interesting to see what Goodwin is thinking. Is Shinnie a left wing back? A centre mid? A spoiler? 

Either of these teams at Hampden will do me. 

F07E38FA-ACB0-4DF4-951E-D1008653F4CE.thumb.jpeg.f94c497105bbdd3ddba840afd9a9ab86.jpeg54EAE43C-9E38-4FED-8E7E-7DBDEE276958.thumb.jpeg.6681b355829b9a1763214d2ed272ee33.jpeg

Before Xmas,Id heard from a good source we had targeted 2 african players.One was a miidfielder in Egypt who rejected our offer for better offers elsewhere,presume Shinnie fills the gap.

The other was a defender who I have yet to hear about since,not sure if still a possibility.Rumours elsewhere(probable waffle) of a Serbian potential signing

Edited by Elgindon

Never much more than a journeyman as a midfielder IMO lacked guile but certainly will add fight and a bit of organisation which is badly lacking.

Be interesting to see how he slots in. Clearly himself and ramadani will play. Probably both are holding midfielders. 

Is it 5/3/2 or 4/4/2 ( would lack creativity with this two), 4/5/1 or Diamond?

Or do we bring back wingers?

Right player of we intend to play two holding. If it's not to hold, he's no better than Clarkston or Barron going forward and it would make no sense to do ramadani who has been out best player of late 

I'm hoping he's coming in to let one of those two play at ten 

17 minutes ago, redordead said:

Never much more than a journeyman as a midfielder IMO

What does that actually mean though? He captained ICT to a cup before/as we signed him. He was a fantastic player in this league and had us finishing second on numerous occasions. He's about six times better than McRorie. It's a really good signing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RicoS321 said:

What does that actually mean though? He captained ICT to a cup before/as we signed him. He was a fantastic player in this league and had us finishing second on numerous occasions. He's about six times better than McRorie. It's a really good signing.

It means that he is a good ball winner but a poor distributor of the ball and offers little going forward.

We finished second mainly because the rest were relegated on and off but you can only beat what's in front of you.

He was a great left back before coming to us. I'd agree that mcrorie lacks the same quality in the middle of the park. Pure energy, little quality and that shinnie is better than him.

Not really sure where Ross ends up. Like him marauding forward on he right but rarely delivers a telling ball. Wasnt a good centre half last year and can't see him in midfield ahead of ramadani or shinnie 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redordead said:

It means that he is a good ball winner but a poor distributor of the ball and offers little going forward.

Disagree. He was good at driving into the box, and was never scared to take on a shot from distance.

I would argue - heading ability aside - he offered more going forward than Lewis Ferguson.

And "journeyman" is a ridiculous description. He's only played for about four clubs and has won caps for Scotland.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KGB said:

He was always a driving midfielder with a will to win. Yes, he can be rash in the challenge but that’s part of his will to win and he has a great attitude. Better than a journeyman in my opinion. 

His will to win is his outstanding quality. Accurately. I wouldn't say ramadani hasn't provided this fight though. 

Shinnie isn't going to have Ten assists a season or half a dozen goals as you'd maybe expect from Clarkston ( and possibly an in form Barron ) 

So I think it'll be really interesting to see how Jim decides to play him. Fair me I think Barron may go and shinnie will slot straight into his place with Clarkson at ten.

That however means sticking with the current unsuccessful set up.

7 minutes ago, redordead said:

Scored a few for us, including a couple of crackers, with one against apollon that springs to mind. I get what you're saying, but the above is definitely not the definition of journeyman.