Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Next manager

28 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I don't mind that, I think football should be fun. As should all employment. They're not our servants. To me, it seemed like he was suggesting that he'd make it enjoyable for the players and fans, rather than himself. However, as @OrlandoDon suggests, he came across as very genuine, which I liked. It's refreshing to see a football manager that isn't bothered by the abstract bullshittery of professionalism. Not giving a fuck is a very healthy place to be in my opinion. You can be very honest, and still work hard because you're doing something you choose to.

Well to me it came across as "I'm just here to tick a box on my CV, I'm not really that bothered about the overall outcome and it should be a giggle". Fuck that fuck him. 

I'll take actual professionalism any day of the week thank you kindly and I absolutely want the manager of Aberdeen Football Club to be the epitomy of that. I'm genuinely shocked by your attitude there to be honest but to each their own. 

I could be wrong, maybe this will work.  If he gets us into Europe and to at least the semi of the SC I will hold up my hands and eat a big ol slice of humble pie.  Truthfully though I will genuinely be pleasantly surprised if we even make top 6.  

I liked the bit about not being wedded to a particular system or formation. Set the team up in a way that suits the strengths of the players you have and limits exposing their weaknesses and the rest is down to man management. Makes more sense than anything Robson ever said.

Obviously if that results in Big Angus hoofing it in the vague direction of Big Pape for 90 minutes I won’t be so happy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

I'll take actual professionalism any day of the week thank you kindly and I absolutely want the manager of Aberdeen Football Club to be the epitomy of that. I'm genuinely shocked by your attitude there to be honest but to each their own.

Professionalism in and of itself is the issue. It is not competence, and often hides incompetence. There was nothing unprofessional about Warnock in his interview, just no professionalism (with emphasis on the ism). A bit like you don't need managerialism to be a good manager. It goes back to the consultancy issue mentioned earlier, where professionalism is essentially an abstract game, filled with concepts, slogans and specific ways of talking. Taking it too far in the other direction, you get the ignorant man "telling it like it is" that, when questioned, can't go deeper than the "common sense" opinion they spouted. Warnock came across as neither. The only other manager I've seen do that recently was Steve Clarke (outside the scum, as it's utterly irrelevant what they say). As @Slim says, he mentioned setting up to player's strengths, rather than playing a fucking 3-5-2 with Clarkson deep because that's your thing. That is something Clarke did at Killie supremely well, alongside keeping the instructions very straight forward, limiting what each player had to think about (very useful for Greg fucking Stewart, because he's a fucking imbecile). Basically, he had a confidence in his own ability to the extent that he didn't have to deploy the vocabulary too much. There was a little of it, but it's difficult to avoid when the level of questioning is so fucking rancid and you're only just in the door. It remains to be seen if he can maintain the attitude.

We will have to agree to disagree because i found his CV box ticking having a laugh attitude fairly fucking unprofessional and I thought he came across as an absolute bellend.....though I concede I was heavily biased against before he uttered a word. 

As for playing to your strengths.  Jesus christ.  Stating the fucking obvious is nothing be praised.  He's got no window to freshen up the squad so what the fuck else is he going to do? Deliberately play a system he doesn't have the players? Also, comparing Neil Warnock to a genuinely world class coach like Clarke is like comparing a citreon 2 CV to a tesla. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

We will have to agree to disagree because i found his CV box ticking having a laugh attitude fairly fucking unprofessional and I thought he came across as an absolute bellend.....though I concede I was heavily biased against before he uttered a word. 

As for playing to your strengths.  Jesus christ.  Stating the fucking obvious is nothing be praised.  He's got no window to freshen up the squad so what the fuck else is he going to do? Deliberately play a system he doesn't have the players? Also, comparing Neil Warnock to a genuinely world class coach like Clarke is like comparing a citreon 2 CV to a tesla. 

You are correct, playing to strengths sounds easy, but how many managers fail there?? Our strengths appear to be in central midfielders, clarkson, shinnie, Barron, McGrath, yet long ball doesn’t really suit them, plus Robson regularly played shinnie wrongly in my opinion. I’d also say devlin is a quality right back but he’s been played as a wing back or central defender for much of the season. We’ve also had a midfield full of central midfielders, some forced wide which is not their strength. Really curious to see how we line up moving forward since we all see width as an issue.

as I said yesterday, hopefully warnock has the experience to see our players strengths and fully maximize them.

Firstly, none of us really saw warnock coming but it is what it is, give the guy a chance.

I thought his interview was interesting and sincere. I think he’s excited to be here and up for a challenge. I think he wants to be here, his passion is there, I don’t think he’s here just for cash and something to do. He’s a personality and a storyteller and it showed. Reminded me a little of ebbe. He also acknowledged that 50% of the fans don’t want him and some need won over. Acknowledged some see him as a dinosaur, and his giving players a bollocking doesn’t work in this day and age. He said some stuff which showed his lack of knowledge for the game, like is it only the league and a cup, but that’s as much his playful personality. I can see press conferences being busy and lengthy.

I think he seems pretty clued up on our situation plus he brings an assistant and has leven. He’s an honest pro who expects players to work hard, and I think we have a squad to suit that. I think glass Goodwin and Robson coached with fear in the back of their minds, young guys building a reputation. Warnock has nothing to lose and it showed, perhaps the players will benefit from that ‘freedom.’

We don’t have a terrible squad and have some talent. We saw that against Celtic second half and the first half vs hearts. We have some good players, perhaps he brings the best out of them. Maybe his experience and wisdom is what these guys need. Or maybe not…

42 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Also, comparing Neil Warnock to a genuinely world class coach like Clarke is like comparing a citreon 2 CV to a tesla

It's entirely acceptable to compare, not acceptable to conflate, which I wasn't. This is a mistake made by politicians and, in turn, football pundits the world over, which means we can't use examples or illustrations to make a point anymore.

It is a left field appointment but to be honest I would rather have an experienced guy like Warnock in charge for the rest of the season than Barry Robson, who just did not know what he was doing.  Whatever anyone thinks about Warnock, he has been a manager for 2000 odd games for a reason, he is competent manager, you don't get to that many games by luck or coincidence. 

I have never understood people who disregard managers because of their age, it is a total nonsense.  I have heard people say that about Mourinho, oh he's a dinosaur and all that rubbish.  Experience is the one thing you cannot buy.  In my opinion managers get better as they get older because they have had time to learn from their earlier mistakes.

The point that stood out for me from his press conference is when he said 90-95% of being a manager is man management and the more I watch this stupid game the more I buy into that by seeing how some players turn it on under one manager but not for another.  I reckon Warnock is the type of guy that players will run through a brick wall for.

Happy to give the guy a chance.  The worst that can happen is we get pumped in the cup and finish 10th in the league which is how things were looking they would pan out under Robson anyway.  If the guy was Swedish the majority of our support would be thinking this was a masterstroke.    

10 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

I have never understood people who disregard managers because of their age, it is a total nonsense.  I have heard people say that about Mourinho, oh he's a dinosaur and all that rubbish.  Experience is the one thing you cannot buy.  In my opinion managers get better as they get older because they have had time to learn from their earlier mistakes.

I think that when anybody takes a single attribute and uses it as a barometer for anything, you know not listen. We've needed a young, hungry manager many times for instance. Equally, your assertion that managers get better as they get older is in the same line of thinking. There is nothing particular about age that makes you intrinsically better, as a long list of managers will attest. Good managers will learn from their experiences, others will double down and learn nothing, whilst blaming others (insert McGhee gif). Good young managers will draw from the experiences of those before them, others will keep doing the same thing and learn nothing. There's a long line for each category. 

The dinosaur thing is possibly valid though, as it points to a more tactical, technological, scientific assertion (handily wrapped up in a single soundbite, without nuance). It could be argued that ignoring sports scientists, or new training methods, could be the attitude of a dinosaur for example. Screaming at players and throwing things another example. These are probably what people think of Warnock, but if we're honest, we probably don't have a clue what happens behind the scenes, rumours aside. Given his short time here, I expect he'll let coaching do what it does and sports science do what it does. His assertion that 95% is man management is interesting. I don't think I agree, but I certainly see his point. I suspect it would be labelled a dinosaur attitude too. Obviously recruitment is a huge proportion of success that he's leaving out because he won't oversee any. 

27 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

If the guy was Swedish the majority of our support would be thinking this was a masterstroke. 

Yep, definitely. "Foreign" is another attribute that gets thrown about a lot, usually a positive for a manager unless we've just had a failed foreign manager, and then it's a huge mistake not to get someone that knows the game. Ultimately, there is a long list of good foreign managers and bad ones to back up each arbitrary side.

I would argue, however, that in a short term appointment like this, a good knowledge of the Scottish game would save a lot of time and effort and definitely be an advantage. By the time Warnock is up to speed, he might be leaving. He'll possibly leave a lot of the worrying about opponents to Leven. 

21 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

To each their own but from my pov it was about as bad as I thought it was going to be.  The bit that fucked me off the most was the here to have a bit of fun chat.  Tremendous, we are now light entertainment for a geriatric fucking hun sycophant (morton fan my arse). Warnock out. 

Not that it particularly matters to me because I couldn't give two hoots where any of our managers allegiances lie as long as they do a decent job but Warnock has been spotted many times at Morton over the years and is a member of The Morton Community trust. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KGB said:

Not that it particularly matters to me because I couldn't give two hoots where any of our managers allegiances lie as long as they do a decent job but Warnock has been spotted many times at Morton over the years and is a member of The Morton Community trust. 

That is a fucking disgrace.

The Rangers allegiance is fine, it's all a bit of fun, but fuck Morton. 

Get him out. Get him out of our club now.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Panda said:

That is a fucking disgrace.

The Rangers allegiance is fine, it's all a bit of fun, but fuck Morton. 

Get him out. Get him out of our club now.

I agreed It's alright to pretend to be a Morton fan when you're really a Hun, but don't actually support them.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, KGB said:

I've heard of him the radio a few times over the years talking about Scottish football.  Never once mentioned Morton but both times "Ooooo, I do like the Rangers". 

But aye, he's a Morton fan for sure.  Nothing to see here. 

Fuck me! A bunch of pessimistic, psychiatrists and mind readers on here.

Am I delighted by NW, no.

Do I think it’s a publicity exercise or puss take, no.

Do I think Warnock will take it seriously, yes.

Do I think he’ll pick our best team (once he gets a chance to figure that out) yes.

Do I think he has the capability to have a plan B, C, or D during games, yes.

He’s a better chance for us finishing higher up the league than Barry, and if he puts his boot up Cormack’s arse (nothing to lose, no need to be a yes man) maybe that’s the best part of this appointment.

I trust him to be professional (regardless of how he presents to the weejia) and do his best with us.

Not a happy clapper by any means, but I’m not pissing in my nappy either!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Madbadteacher said:

Fuck me! A bunch of pessimistic, psychiatrists and mind readers on here.

Am I delighted by NW, no.

Do I think it’s a publicity exercise or puss take, no.

Do I think Warnock will take it seriously, yes.

Do I think he’ll pick our best team (once he gets a chance to figure that out) yes.

Do I think he has the capability to have a plan B, C, or D during games, yes.

He’s a better chance for us finishing higher up the league than Barry, and if he puts his boot up Cormack’s arse (nothing to lose, no need to be a yes man) maybe that’s the best part of this appointment.

I trust him to be professional (regardless of how he presents to the weejia) and do his best with us.

Not a happy clapper by any means, but I’m not pissing in my nappy either!

Excellent post. I’m honestly unclear as to what specifically about Warnock has got a couple on here quite so angry.

24 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

Excellent post. I’m honestly unclear as to what specifically about Warnock has got a couple on here quite so angry.

Think we are all just worried what will happen in our season-defining game against Morton in the cup.

10 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

He's a joke figure down South, a John Hughes. However, because we're in pathetic thrall to everything English fitba, he's massive celebrity news up here, it's cringey as fuck. He's deemed old school and obnoxious. There's a lot not to like about the guy. I specifically don't like the fact that he goes against everything we strategised (supposedly) for the last three years and is a huge step backwards in that regard, possibly even risking alienating players and staff that we might want here next year. However, I realised that with the consultant bollocks, our strategy wasn't actually a strategy at all, simply a bunch of words on a presentation, so I don't think Warnock will be upsetting much. I liked his opening interview and his thoughts about the game. I wasn't particularly enamoured by the time it took to make changes and the changes made against the Hun. I can completely see why people don't like him, but I'm happy enough for the short time that remains. I find his appointment shows a complete lack of competence by our board. It reminds me of the scene in Elf (the overplayed Christmas film) where the publisher asks his crack team of writers for new ideas and they suggest hiring another writer, who'll have better ideas. That is, of course, nothing to do with Warnock.

23 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

I dislike Warnock as a person especially when you look beyond the fluff pieces his pals in the press write about him. Also his record is actually not that great. His better results have been in lower leagues in England but even then he’s only ever won one league title and never won a cup. His top flight record in England is poor only winning 24% of of matches and getting sacked or relegated each time. I just don’t get why so many seem to think someone who spent vast majority of his career in lower leagues in England will suddenly be a winner in our league. His interviews remind me very much of the ones that got folk (including me at the time) wanting Strachen to be Scotland manager. They are funny at first but then become embarrassing. 

Lastly as Rico says above I can’t see where he fits with our supposed strategy. Just seems to be a waste of time and money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jute said:

His better results have been in lower leagues in England but even then he’s only ever won one league title and never won a cup. His top flight record in England is poor only winning 24% of of matches and getting sacked or relegated each time. I just don’t get why so many seem to think someone who spent vast majority of his career in lower leagues in England will suddenly be a winner in our league. 

Why are you concentrating on his record in the English Premier League Jute? I don’t see why that is relevant at all? If anything, the standard/style of our football up here is more akin to the lower leagues in England anyway.

You’re being incredibly harsh on the guy. His stints in the top flight have been managing the likes of Sheffield United and QPR where you are always going to be fighting against the odds, he’s hardly going to have similar stats to Fergie, Wenger and Klopp. He didn’t exactly have the luxury of Henry and Cantona in his teams.

27 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Why are you concentrating on his record in the English Premier League Jute? I don’t see why that is relevant at all? If anything, the standard/style of our football up here is more akin to the lower leagues in England anyway.

You’re being incredibly harsh on the guy. His stints in the top flight have been managing the likes of Sheffield United and QPR where you are always going to be fighting against the odds, he’s hardly going to have similar stats to Fergie, Wenger and Klopp. He didn’t exactly have the luxury of Henry and Cantona in his teams.

Because to win the cup up here you usually have to beat one of if not both the weegie bigots. The financial gap between us and them is very similar to the gap between Warnock’s teams in top flight and bigger teams down there so think his record in those sort of games is relevant. 

I am sure Warnock will win games against the dross up here but not enough to catch Hearts. Plenty of others could have done that possibly even Leven as we have a number of decent players. Just think we are paying for him to tick off something on his bucket list that isn’t really doing anything to benefit us in the long term. 

50 minutes ago, Jute said:

Because to win the cup up here you usually have to beat one of if not both the weegie bigots. The financial gap between us and them is very similar to the gap between Warnock’s teams in top flight and bigger teams down there so think his record in those sort of games is relevant. 

I am sure Warnock will win games against the dross up here but not enough to catch Hearts. Plenty of others could have done that possibly even Leven as we have a number of decent players. Just think we are paying for him to tick off something on his bucket list that isn’t really doing anything to benefit us in the long term. 

How would hiring leven have benefitted us long term?

getting pretty irritated by the constant moaning ffs. He’s not our permanent manager. Who would have been a good permanent managerial signing right now? Every single name out there has pros and cons. Lennon? Lambert? Ross? Or maybe kettlebell? Martindale? Robinson is doing a decent job. We missed out on Levein unfortunately but Derek Adam’s is available. Or maybe we go the foreign route with a guy with little or no Scottish football knowledge/experience? Would have hiring a permanent manager guaranteed us 3rd? 4th? After failing with the last 3 managers taking our time to look at this is ok with me.

how exactly does warnock hurt us right now? What is the damage he is doing? What is he stopping us doing?

Maybe can learn something from warnock? Maybe cormack will benefit from the insight of an incredibly experienced professional who has seen more than just Scottish football?

im not really a warnock fan but having failed on the managerial front for the last 3, I’m ok with us taking a different approach, especially as ill keep saying, there are no clear standout popular choices to hire or desperate to come to us.

Edited by OrlandoDon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

He’s not a fashionable name which is what it comes down to. As a comparison, I see Jon Dahl Tomasson has just left Blackburn with them sitting 18th in the English Championship. I am guessing half of our support would back him to be our next manager based on the fact he once beat Rangers and is foreign.

Tomasson won league twice with Malmo and 44% of his games at Blackburn (above Warnock’s average 40% win ratio) so would have been worth considering but given he is allegedly getting the Swedish international gig next I suspect that ship has sailed. 

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11676/13067307/blackburn-rovers-john-eustace-expected-to-take-over-as-manager-after-jon-dahl-tomasson-exit

Warnock is the darling of the English talk shows and soccer Saturday so hardly unfashionable. I just do not get the benefit of brining him in does.