Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Europa Conference 21/22

1 hour ago, HaarDon said:

Not his performance last night Al but his signing.

I wanted him in the squad.

I'm a fan of his, I just think Ramirez will be our next Rooney.

Hopefully they're both great.

Jet was head and shoulders above Ramirez last night, he was excellent. I don't remember him giving the ball away once from a position that would have caused us trouble, although he didn't track his man at one point (which I think eventually led to their goal) but he was unexpectedly covering Hedges and wasn't prepared. The times he did give the ball away were when he was trying to make something happen, which is completely acceptable. We were very guilty of not trying things under McInnes for fear of giving it away. Many of the chances we created through jet last night would have been a sideways pass last season.

I was unconvinced by Ramirez last night, but he certainly does have the potential to be a Rooney. His movement needs to improve a bit, but given he's on a new continent with a completely different game it'll maybe take time. He's about the size, stature and pace of Rooney anyway. Jet being there will be a huge benefit to him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Jet was head and shoulders above Ramirez last night, he was excellent. I don't remember him giving the ball away once from a position that would have caused us trouble, although he didn't track his man at one point (which I think eventually led to their goal) but he was unexpectedly covering Hedges and wasn't prepared. The times he did give the ball away were when he was trying to make something happen, which is completely acceptable. We were very guilty of not trying things under McInnes for fear of giving it away. Many of the chances we created through jet last night would have been a sideways pass last season.

I was unconvinced by Ramirez last night, but he certainly does have the potential to be a Rooney. His movement needs to improve a bit, but given he's on a new continent with a completely different game it'll maybe take time. He's about the size, stature and pace of Rooney anyway. Jet being there will be a huge benefit to him.

Don’t necessarily agree. Ramirez was excellent, touch was good, link play, hold up play, work rate, pace, strength, and a tap in. Very good number 9 on first impressions.

jet is more of a #10, even a wide player. Very different style and attributes, and he was very good too. Yes, we went long and he won pretty much every header, and I anticipate Ramirez will read that better as their partnership develops. They are just totally different which is why they may do very well playing together.

7 hours ago, HaarDon said:

I'm not saying he wasn't but he stood out as giving the ball away on numerous occasions. That's all.

I like him and think he has good vision, patience and great footwork.

Not to my eye, struggle to recall one incident 2bh.

I know we don't wish to be complacent, but with a four-goal lead, do we rest a few players for Dundee United? Especially Scott Brown - surely we want him starting v Dundee United but not after playing 90 minutes v Hacken. Especially since - providing we make it through - we then want him fresh for the first leg next Thursday too.

At 36 that's going to be an issue managing his minutes. For as long as we're in the qualifiers we're going to be playing Thursday-Sunday. He's a big game player but any chance to give him a rest we need to take it - Neil Lennon just constantly played him last season even when he looked jaded and that was one of his many wrong decisions.

I'm presuming Declan Gallagher's suspension is over, while the likes of McGeouch, Campbell & Gurr must be itching for a start.

I'd go with:-

Lewis

Gurr Gallagher Considine Mackenzie 

McGeouch

McLennan Ferguson Ojo 

Jet

Ramirez

--

Still think that's a strong enough team to get a result, and certainly not one I'd expect to blow a four-goal advantage.

11 minutes ago, Panda said:

I know we don't wish to be complacent, but with a four-goal lead, do we rest a few players for Dundee United? Especially Scott Brown - surely we want him starting v Dundee United but not after playing 90 minutes v Hacken. Especially since - providing we make it through - we then want him fresh for the first leg next Thursday too.

At 36 that's going to be an issue managing his minutes. For as long as we're in the qualifiers we're going to be playing Thursday-Sunday. He's a big game player but any chance to give him a rest we need to take it - Neil Lennon just constantly played him last season even when he looked jaded and that was one of his many wrong decisions.

I'm presuming Declan Gallagher's suspension is over, while the likes of McGeouch, Campbell & Gurr must be itching for a start.

I'd go with:-

Lewis

Gurr Gallagher Considine Mackenzie 

McGeouch

McLennan Ferguson Ojo 

Jet

Ramirez

--

Still think that's a strong enough team to get a result, and certainly not one I'd expect to blow a four-goal advantage.

Actually, totally forgot about Teddy Jenks, would probably start him. I'd say ahead of Ojo, but then I'm actually intrigued to see if Ojo can follow last week up with another good performance or if that was just a fluke.

I suppose a lot will depend on whether they want to get a few more minutes in their legs or not. I'd agree that Brown will need rested, bit maybe not this early where match sharpness is key. I'm thinking Gallagher might be the only change (maybe Jenks for Ojo), and it'll be interesting to see if McRorie is shifted to right back at the expense of Ramsay, which would be a shame (for both really, as McRorie was excellent in the first leg).

Just now, Panda said:

Surely Brown can cope with playing on Thursday then on Sunday, even at 36 this early in the season.  His last Celtic game was on May 12th, that's over two months rest.  Too much is made of squad rotation by guys that have been spending too much time playing Championship Manager.  At a club like the Dons we really don't play two games a week that often during the course of a season, unless we were to qualify for the group stages of the Europa obviously, it's not like we are Man City and playing 60 games a season.  If you look at someone like Andy Considine, who generally plays most games, he has played an average of about 42 games over the last six or seven seasons.  

3 hours ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Surely Brown can cope with playing on Thursday then on Sunday, even at 36 this early in the season.  

But it's not just these two games. It's Hacken -Dundee United - European game - Livingston - European game - Raith Rovers - possibly another European game, etc etc. Games every 3/4 days.

If there's an opportunity to rest someone, especially someone who is 36, we should take it.

3 hours ago, HaarDon said:

Oops sorry Rico.

My mistake.

Come on panda sort it out.

Again, my worry is we're so light up front that Hedges, Jet & Ramirez could be ran into the ground, and Hedges doesn't have the best injury-free record either.

Just thinking of Dundee United. About time we stuck one on them.

19 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

Brown has played over 250 games in the last five years, probably more than most players in our squad have played in their entire careers. He’ll be fine. I’d be more concerned with guys like Hedges who seem to injure themselves getting off the bus.

Bit harsh on Hedges. Easily the fittest player in our squad last season and was only a freak accident that put him out. He's not exactly pawlett, Wright or Devlin (RIP? I assume he's dead?). 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BigAl said:

I can guarantee you that if you asked Brown if he wanted rested, he'd tell you to do one ?

Probably, but the coaching staff should always make the decision. I personally think that in lieu of pre-season the additional games form a vital part of the fitness regime. If Brown is forming part of our best eleven then he needs to start this one given the lack of games. Take him off at 70 minutes.

7 hours ago, RicoS321 said:

Probably, but the coaching staff should always make the decision. I personally think that in lieu of pre-season the additional games form a vital part of the fitness regime. If Brown is forming part of our best eleven then he needs to start this one given the lack of games. Take him off at 70 minutes.

It's an interesting one because we don't know too much about how glass operates.  He must be aware games are coming thick and fast after the second leg and there's defo a bigger picture to be looked at.  It's a plastic pitch too I believe so that will have to be taken into account as well.