Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Europa Conference 21/22

6 hours ago, Chris Frae Killie said:

Don't know where you got that info from but they are currently bottom of the Swedish league after 8 matches.

Screenshot_20210625-003623_Google.jpg

Was taking about the team from Kazakhstan being the only harder side we could have drawn as they were 2nd (now first) in their league at the time. Hacken finished 3rd last season and although bottom after losing 4 of first 8 matches suspect they will be a decent side and a tough team to beat especially with them having played another 3 league matches by then and having their players from the Euros back. 

5 hours ago, HaarDon said:

No 'away goals' rule implemented huh?

So what do we call shagging a foreigner now then? ?

12 minutes ago, Slim said:

I guess you would call it prostitution.

To use a football reference, I think we'd refer to that as a Bobby Moore

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OxfordDon said:

I've literally just put it on and hacken score twice in a minute.

Watched about 20 minutes of second half.  They looked decent and think this will be a tough tie to get through.

15 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

Pressure would be on glass big time if we went out 1st qualifier

I’d say it’s a 50/50 tie in the circumstances.

Our lack of football, with half a new team, makes it really tricky.

So much for this new tournament being a bit “easier” for opposition, it looks the same as the Europa League. 

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, RedStarTorphins said:

The tie gets smellier & more precarious by the week.

40/60 against I’d say, given our complete lack of preparation 

Yeh I really don't know what to expect from us.

I would like to think Aberdeen are far better prepared than we think, I imagine there's been a few inter-squad games being played, and our coaching team have surely had it all meticulously planned out. Especially with a player being on the coaching staff, he'd surely be able to say if the players weren't anywhere near where they needed to be.

But the schedule and lack of games has me bloody nervous. 

Is it still five subs this season? Has that rule been extended? 

Actually, I'm going to essentially disagree with myself having thought about it. 

Been a few times in the past under McInnes where we threw everything at these qualifiers, played loads of friendlies, ultimately failed to reach the groups and, while it didn't always happen there were more than a few times we started the campaign poorly. We also haven't always had the best of luck with injuries and maybe that was down to pre-season.

14/15 - lost 3-0 to United on day one of season after the Real Sociedad game, and lost three of the opening five games.

15/16 - Managed to beat United on day one in between games with Almaty, and actually won our first seven.

16/17 - Won just one of our first five games after losing to Maribor.

17/18 - won our first four after losing to Limassol, though to be fair it was an easy start against Hamilton, Partick, etc.

18/19 - Drew with Rangers after losing to Burnley, but won just two of first seven league games.

19/20 - Won four of first eight games. Also went out early in League Cup.

20/21 - The European games started after the league season started which maybe helped us, and we actually only lost one of our first nine league games. But of course then had loads of injuries and were generally pish.

I just wonder if the new coaching team have looked at it, questioned whether playing loads of friendlies to prepare for European games rather than working on other things and building it up slowly to day one of the league season has actually impacted the campaign at a later date and led to injuries, and have therefore decided training > games and we'll see how the legs are v Hacken.

I do remember when we played Burnley they hadn't played a lot of friendlies and I thought that would favour us. On one hand maybe it did as we pushed them so close, but on the other they essentially won the tie because they had fresher legs in extra-time.

27 minutes ago, Panda said:

Yeh I really don't know what to expect from us.

I would like to think Aberdeen are far better prepared than we think, I imagine there's been a few inter-squad games being played, and our coaching team have surely had it all meticulously planned out. Especially with a player being on the coaching staff, he'd surely be able to say if the players weren't anywhere near where they needed to be.

But the schedule and lack of games has me bloody nervous. 

Is it still five subs this season? Has that rule been extended? 

I don’t think inter-squad games are played at anything like the intensity required.

We really did end up with a shitty draw compared to Hibs who have an ideal draw, a virtual bye & match practice. 

I appreciate the clubs caution, but 2 kickabouts won’t be enough 

1 hour ago, Panda said:

Actually, I'm going to essentially disagree with myself having thought about it. 

Been a few times in the past under McInnes where we threw everything at these qualifiers, played loads of friendlies, ultimately failed to reach the groups and, while it didn't always happen there were more than a few times we started the campaign poorly. We also haven't always had the best of luck with injuries and maybe that was down to pre-season.

14/15 - lost 3-0 to United on day one of season after the Real Sociedad game, and lost three of the opening five games.

15/16 - Managed to beat United on day one in between games with Almaty, and actually won our first seven.

16/17 - Won just one of our first five games after losing to Maribor.

17/18 - won our first four after losing to Limassol, though to be fair it was an easy start against Hamilton, Partick, etc.

18/19 - Drew with Rangers after losing to Burnley, but won just two of first seven league games.

19/20 - Won four of first eight games. Also went out early in League Cup.

20/21 - The European games started after the league season started which maybe helped us, and we actually only lost one of our first nine league games. But of course then had loads of injuries and were generally pish.

I just wonder if the new coaching team have looked at it, questioned whether playing loads of friendlies to prepare for European games rather than working on other things and building it up slowly to day one of the league season has actually impacted the campaign at a later date and led to injuries, and have therefore decided training > games and we'll see how the legs are v Hacken.

I do remember when we played Burnley they hadn't played a lot of friendlies and I thought that would favour us. On one hand maybe it did as we pushed them so close, but on the other they essentially won the tie because they had fresher legs in extra-time.

Nah, I'm pretty certain it's entirely covid related.

I think we'll have to rely on luck a little, it's just an unfortunate set of circumstances. I certainly don't won't be holding it against Glass if we fail to get through. Annoyingly this match really affects the rest of the window. If we get through then we can look to bring in a couple more for the squad, but you wouldn't want to invest in a European size squad then get papped out. I think we've got the squad at a reasonable level at this stage in the window, but I'd expect to see further movement if we get through, and slightly different movement if we don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

Nah, I'm pretty certain it's entirely covid related.

I think we'll have to rely on luck a little, it's just an unfortunate set of circumstances. I certainly don't won't be holding it against Glass if we fail to get through. Annoyingly this match really affects the rest of the window. If we get through then we can look to bring in a couple more for the squad, but you wouldn't want to invest in a European size squad then get papped out. I think we've got the squad at a reasonable level at this stage in the window, but I'd expect to see further movement if we get through, and slightly different movement if we don't.

Pretty much my thoughts on it too. This "campaign" for Europa Conference qualification is an opportunity to play competitive football before our season starts.  Whilst i'm not necessarily happy with things at the club, i'll not be holding them to account for what I presume will be our papping out. I'm willing to be patient.

25 minutes ago, manc_don said:

Pretty much my thoughts on it too. This "campaign" for Europa Conference qualification is an opportunity to play competitive football before our season starts.  Whilst i'm not necessarily happy with things at the club, i'll not be holding them to account for what I presume will be our papping out. I'm willing to be patient.

Ultimately this is absolutely a transition season so getting to any kind of group stage is a bonus if you ask me. 

I play in the same darts teams as Mark ridgers the inverness keeper (lovely bloke, great dart player) and I asked him how it went on Thursday.  He said brown looked really good and mcginn and JET were lively. Brown looking good is really encouraging for the hacken tie of you ask me.  

Oooft, It's fucking weird talking about Scott Brown as our player...  I stand by that statement though.  He's absolutely the kind of player that drags you through fixtures like this.  

13 hours ago, tlg1903 said:

Ultimately this is absolutely a transition season

I hate that phrase, it is just an excuse for being shite really. Glass got this job in March so has had four months to get his recruitment sorted, which is ample. 

The problem with calling it a transition season is what do you judge as acceptable? Do you fire Glass if we finish sixth?

• Like 1