Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Europa Conference 21/22

11 minutes ago, Elgindon said:

Unlucky there but Ramirez didnt go for it enough.Smart ball fae Jet though

Aye think he shat himself there.

After a horrible first 15 minutes or so we have been the better team here and could have scored a few.

Ramirez certainly should have had a couple and has been pretty wasteful so far

Didn't realise it was on so early so only tuned in at half time. Didn't seem a great performance from there, but we are through so that's what matters. I think they are a decent side and obviously a bit fitter then us at the moment as well. How Ojo missed that chance I'm not sure, thankfully it doesn't matter. Looking like we will be facing Breidablik next round as they are 3-1 up on aggregate at half time. 

20 minutes ago, tlg1903 said:

He's collum ala 4-5 years ago

Yep, who is our ref on Sunday. I think he's vastly improved, which I may regret saying.

Well that was an all round average display in difficult conditions on a plastic pitch, but they did well to get the aggregate win all things considered. Ojo and Ramirez were poor tonight, and the lack of striker sub becomes an issue. Things move through JET in a way that they don't at all through Jenks, who I thought was poor. That area of the pitch becomes a concern outwith the starting 11 and I'm surprised that McGinn wasn't given some minutes tonight as I felt that he could have added a bit of composure where Hedges was a little bit 100mph. Brown and Ferguson excellent in midfield again, and I think we'll see Gallagher step in for McRorie (unfortunately I think it might be at the expense of Ramsay with McRorie at right back). Hayes will struggle to keep his position ahead of McKenzie who did well when he came on.

We're through though which is fantastic and the Icelandic team should be of similar quality to Hacken. I'm still unsure as to how we'll look against SPFL opposition, so Sunday will be intriguing. First thoughts are still that we're lacking in depth up front, and hopefully the new recruitment guy has downloaded the files from his Burnley PC and got a few gems to share. Someone fast to stretch the game in the second half would have been ideal, with Ramirez putting in a tiring shift.

15 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

Breidablik it is 3-2 on average. Am I correct in thinking we win this we qualify?

No, draw for the play-off round is on Monday and we'll be unseeded.

We could land someone like Roma or Tottenham.

Looking through all the current seeds I don't think there's a single tie where you could consider us favourites, but there's some preferable ties to others.

I tend to think Qarabag or AEK Athens might be the ones we want based on them not being too convincing in qualifying. In fact, as I'm writing this, AEK Athens are about to get knocked out unless they can find a late goal. Feyenoord too are about to be taken to extra-time so they could fall.

Maybe a case of some big names there but not many of them firing on all cylinders yet.

10 minutes ago, DantheDon said:

I thought that the point of this tournament was to cut down on qualifying rounds. Doesn't seem to have made much difference. And how is it that St Johnstone are guaranteed european football till xmas if there is still two qualifying rounds to play?

The point of Europe is to make it as hard as possible for the big teams to fuck it up by allowing them 87 defeats before ejection. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

The point of Europe is to make it as hard as possible for the big teams to fuck it up by allowing them 87 defeats before ejection. 

Would be laughable were it not for the fact it is literally true 

1 hour ago, DantheDon said:

I thought that the point of this tournament was to cut down on qualifying rounds. Doesn't seem to have made much difference. And how is it that St Johnstone are guaranteed european football till xmas if there is still two qualifying rounds to play?

UEFA moved the goalposts several times before and after they won the scottish cup.
At one point they were meant to drop straight into the conference group stages if they lost their europa league playoff but some diddy team from Perth didnt float the boat of the bigwigs so they threw in an extra hurdle

Only caught the second half but thought the red card was a life line. They were very much in the ascendancy and looked like they had more goals in them. As others have said though, we’re through to face the Icelandic's. Anyone know anything about them? Believe they’re fourth in their respective league and I know some teams from there give others a good game.