Saturday 30th  March 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Ross County

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

Clarke was so stubborn and as I said before he was so McInnessesque .

Why stick with Dykes who can't score goals and Adams who keeps missing sitters like his 2 tonight- one a pretty simple header.(sorry but he's also a fucking Englishman).

We have a Scottish striker who has been scoring all season yet not deployed by Clarke.

Unbelievable.

28 minutes ago, HaarDon said:

Clarke was so stubborn and as I said before he was so McInnessesque .

Why stick with Dykes who can't score goals and Adams who keeps missing sitters like his 2 tonight- one a pretty simple header.(sorry but he's also a fucking Englishman).

We have a Scottish striker who has been scoring all season yet not deployed by Clarke.

Unbelievable.

I agree with your first point, but not your solution. The midfield and the wide areas were the issue. I don't think it's stubbornness either, it's fear, as it was with McInnes (and many, many other managers). The inability to see that the game isn't going your way and a goal for the opponent is inevitable. The subs should have been on well before their second goal (well, a few minutes at least). Despite our great chance with McGinn, that game was only going one way. We needed to be proactive and take the gamble to win the game, as you nearly always do as the underdog. O'Donnell off for Forrest or Fraser and Armstrong off for Christie or Turnbull. Double sub, try and affect the game positively and throw them off their stride. Our midfield was a straight line, just as it was against the Czech Republic, and was far too easy to play against. Clarke changed nothing tactically. You only get one chance and you need to be prepared to take risks.

Edited by RicoS321

38 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

I agree with your first point, but not your solution. The midfield and the wide areas were the issue. I don't think it's stubbornness either, it's fear, as it was with McInnes (and many, many other managers). The inability to see that the game isn't going your way and a goal for the opponent is inevitable. The subs should have been on well before their second goal (well, a few minutes at least). Despite our great chance with McGinn, that game was only going one way. We needed to be proactive and take the gamble to win the game, as you nearly always do as the underdog. O'Donnell off for Forrest or Fraser and Armstrong off for Christie or Turnbull. Double sub, try and affect the game positively and throw them off their stride. Our midfield was a straight line, just as it was against the Czech Republic, and was far too easy to play against. Clarke changed nothing tactically. You only get one chance and you need to be prepared to take risks.

I thought in the second half mcginn Armstrong and mcgregor were poor, average at best. For mcginn, even the other two who played less, I’d say the third game in a week caught up to him.  We clearly lacked a steady influence in midfield, I suppose Gilmour would have done that and I’d have been tempted to move mctom back in there in the second half. I’d definitely have put on turnbull for Armstrong earlier, I though he was piss poor and gave the ball away endlessly, plus in dykes and mcginn I agree, mcinnes like loyalty when clearly it wasn’t working and a change was needed. No clue why Patterson came on and forest stayed on the bench when you need more creativity and attacking flair.

we score two headers if Adams and mcginn were braver, big difference to the game if we score one or both.

I thought today was our worst performance of the three, but I also think Croatia are still a tidy side.

• Like 1

Can't really see a case for playing Nisbet over Adams - they're the same age and Adams has success at a much higher level. I thought he played well in this tournament to be honest.

Dykes on the other hand is a one dimensional target man who you'd ideally keep on the bench as an option for the last ten minutes rather than start. I hope Nisbet can replace him going forward but that depends on him really.

They did well but I think everybody seriously under estimated Croatia.  In reality, the games were getting harder in our group each time and we really needed to win the first game which was what everyone was saying before the tournament started.  The first game was by far the easiest, progressing to England then on to the runners up in the world cup.  Croatia are a good side and could easily end up making the semi finals.  We are bang average but on a positive note, we are getting better.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wokinginashearerwonderland said:

They did well but I think everybody seriously under estimated Croatia.  In reality, the games were getting harder in our group each time and we really needed to win the first game which was what everyone was saying before the tournament started.  The first game was by far the easiest, progressing to England then on to the runners up in the world cup.  Croatia are a good side and could easily end up making the semi finals.  We are bang average but on a positive note, we are getting better.

Not sure I can argue against a single word you have typed there 

In reflection it was a typical Scotland tournament performance with false optimism and ideas above our station,

We are getting better though as you state and with Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McTomminay & Gilmour there is a potentail nucleous of a team to take us forward. Throw in Patterson (if he is half as good as any Hun will try and tell you) and there's half a team.

We need a new young goalkeeper as all the candidates are not going to be around much longer.

Lastly if some how we could just unearth a natural goalscorer then we might get somewhere.

I think our players raised their game against England but didn't get anywhere near the same level last night. And Croatia's midfield is much better than England's.

I agree with those who say the Czech game was our big chance and, unfortunately, we screwed that up.

A relatively young team will hopefully have learned a lot, although we'll always struggle until we find someone who can put the ball in the net.

We were far too cautious and I think the lack of tournament experience was there for all to see. Not having a proper striker didn’t help but wasn’t the reason we are out. The Czech game was a fuck up. Another day, we might have won that, but I think it’s more down to quality. It’s not that great a side.

I think we were a vastly improved side with ball control and passing and our midfield may not be as good as others but with a decent striker or 2, we would have won all 3 games when you look at the chances we blew.

Adams misses were awful.