Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Scotland squad

McLeish had a decent record the first time around. Probably the best of the Scottish candidates mentioned in the press.

As others have said his appointment shows lack of ambition and narrow minded view of the SFA. Looks like they only consider Scottish candidates.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Looks like they only consider Scottish candidates.

Kinda glad about that to be honest.  Think it would be a slap in the face to all Scottish managers if we have to go out and appoint someone non-Scottish.  It never sits well with me when we go down the Scottish granny route with our players and it's the same with the manager.

Not sure McLeish is the best of our managers but he will probably do a good job even being out of the game for a while.  I would also take him to do as good, if not better a job than Michael O'Neill would have done.  Despite his "I'm a rangers man" shite, he has a good record as a manager.

Bringing back Alex McLeish AGAIN is not the way ahead for Scotland.

I would rather John Hughes got the job ( no laughing at the back).

At least he would bring something new to the set up.

What next Gordon Smith back as the Scottish FA chief executive AGAIN.

Surely appointing a new Chief Executive would have been the first thing that the SFA did.

Really very strange way to run Scottish football.

Kinda glad about that to be honest.  Think it would be a slap in the face to all Scottish managers if we have to go out and appoint someone non-Scottish.  It never sits well with me when we go down the Scottish granny route with our players and it's the same with the manager.

It's a decent point actually. I seem to have complete double standards when it comes to managers and players and think that foreign managers should be given a try. I think I'm probably wrong about that. The national team is about showcasing the best Scottish talent, so yer right, it should be a Scottish manager.

With that in mind, I'd still rather have seen someone like Clarke or Alex Neil or even Jack Ross. McLeish is a better manager than Strachan and a lot less of a dick though. Succession planning should be possible at international level and hopefully the new CEO will address that as and when they turn up.

Lencarl, I think the CEO job may take a while, hence the need to get a new manager in now. They could potentially have a long notice period and also the shortlist of one (Leanne Dempster) has ruled herself out so it might be next year before they have anyone. 

Former Scotland manager Craig Brown on BBC Radio Scotland

It's an excellent choice. This is a maintenance job because the team has actually been playing quite well in the last year or so and the results have been favourable. So, it's not a resuscitation job to take over the Scottish team at the moment.

We have got to get the national team of Scotland to qualify and therefore we've got to get a top manager, the best we can and I do think, under the circumstances, we have the best we can - an experienced guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, he knows the game inside out, he's been at international level 77 times [as a player] with Scotland, he's managed the team successfully.

I do think now we've got a man who can take Scotland to the next major tournament coming up and that will develop the game massively. t's the the national team which is the important factor in terms of development of the game and interest in the game.

This is exactly what is to change in Scottish football.

Scottish football needs new blood to take it forward.

Scottish football is living in the past.

A bit of a meh appointment tbh,but cant blame McLeish for taking the job,and its tough for me to bad mouth him having watched him since he broke into the team circa '78. Nevertheless.I would hope after walking away last time,he was told something along the lines of you can be sacked at any moment for being shite,or pissed,without compensation.....or financially thrashed for walking away while under contract.

Apart fae that,hope he does well...

• 2 weeks later...

Say what you like about Brown but if we had a few players with his mind set I would be a lot happier.

Agree. He's a cunt but a cunt that I'd always rather have on my team. But my issue is his attitude. I don't like how players have to "retire" from international football. You fucking play for as long as you're lucky enough to get picked. If you can't be arsed then gtf and don't like the door his your (huge) arse on the way out.

Guest kiriakovisthenewstrachan

Disappointed to see us chasing the guy McTominay.  Regardless of how good the boy is I would rather we picked someone who is genuinely Scottish.

Fed up of these lads picking Scotland because they would not get in the england team.

Personally would rather we had a 100% Scottish team and be shite than be half decent with half of the team being english.

I have got no problem with anyone who has a parent that is Scottish being selected to represent us. After all it is not the kid's fault where he was born. Where I do object though is going further back and using grandparents place of birth as a qualifying reason for selection. That is just taking things too far.

Also not in favour of us picking anyone who has represented another country at youth/U21 levels. Swapping allegiances ( as that young Dhims player Karamoko Dembele is doing right now) is just ripping the pish.

A new era need's to be started with the new manager.

Pick young players playing in the SPFL and give them the time to gel into a descent squad.

Stop picking players who ply their trade in the Championship in England.

If it takes 4 years so be it.

What could possibly go wrong ::)

Disagree Kiriakov, the kid must clearly want to play for Scotland given the English interest in him. Good for him, given he's playing for man u it would have been easy for him to think playing for England would be better for his career all in. 

It’s all f’uckin bollocks anyway, but if you are going to have international fitba then at least have rules that say you can only play for the country you were born in.

That’s it, born in England then you’re fuckin English.

This includes Neil fuckin Simpson, a mair Scottish lad you couldn’t imagine.

If held down and threatened/ bribed I may relent to the Father rule.

Then someone would call me sexist and I would revert to my original position

Well I sympathise to a certain degree but I only didn’t play for Brazil because I was born in Aberdeen.

Even as an ex manager of Aberdeen Ladies I would suggest that Alec McLeish was unlikely to pick her for the next campaign.

Of course, I’m from Europe in case you couldn’t tell.