Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Cooking up a storm

MálagaSheep

I'll give you a laugh though Malaga min.

I read an article yesterday about people panic buying iceberg fuckin lettuce.

How the fuck can you panic buy lettuce?

What the fuck do you do with it?

Also, somewhat bizarrely, loose courgettes.

There's a limit to how many you can buy.

You can have as many tight courgettes as you like.

Welcome home next week, take your own veg.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you a laugh though Malaga min.

I read an article yesterday about people panic buying iceberg fuckin lettuce.

How the fuck can you panic buy lettuce?

What the fuck do you do with it?

Also, somewhat bizarrely, loose courgettes.

There's a limit to how many you can buy.

You can have as many tight courgettes as you like.

Welcome home next week, take your own veg.

:rofl:

Fucking lettuce?

Only in the UK

Making a bolognese tonight, any tips on recipe?  I usually add a bit of soy and worcester sauce in.

My usual method:

Fry onion and garlic until onion starts to brown.

Add pancetta/chopped bacon, continue to fry for a couple of minutes.

Add mince (seasoned with salt/pepper/mixed Italian herbs) and fry until browned.

Drain off any excess fat (or don't if you prefer).

Chuck in a glass of red wine and let it bubble away for a minute or two.

Add in a jar of passata (or large tin of crushed tomatoes), a tablespoon or so of tomato puree, a good glug of Worcester sauce, more salt, pepper and mixed Italian herbs and let it simmer away until it gets to your desired thickness, usually about an hour or so.

If I can't get a large jar of passata, I'll use a small one and top up with some beef stock or more red wine.

My usual method:

Add mince (seasoned with salt/pepper/mixed Italian herbs) and fry until browned.

Add in a jar of passata (or large tin of crushed tomatoes), a tablespoon or so of tomato puree, a good glug of Worcester sauce, more salt, pepper and mixed Italian herbs and let it simmer away until it gets to your desired thickness, usually about an hour or so.

If I can't get a large jar of passata, I'll use a small one and top up with some beef stock or more red wine.

I like it, sounds very similar to mine, no need to change a tried and tested technique! Only difference is panettone which I think I'll get on the way home  :thumbsup:

My usual method:

I do it very similiar except when adding the pancetta I also throw in a handfull of freshly chopped Rosemary and sometimes use blitzed jar of sun dried tomatoes instead of puree, also cook it for 3 or 4 hours the longer the better and the day afters is better.

Normally I roughly chop some onion and garlic and fry that off to get the flavour out.

One tin of tomatoes and bubble that away for a while.

Then sieve the lot of it leaving a smallish amount of concentrated sauce.

Add this to whatever you are having with it ( mince pancetta etc, pre cooked of course) then mix it with the pasta.

Whole effect is a lot drier that the traditional uk method but it's the way I like it.

None of you pay much attention to the Eye-talians eh? They ken how to do it best. When I make spag bol it's much simpler than all of that. Decent mince, garlic, oregano, basil, bay leaves, passata,  tomato puree, salt, pepper and maybe a beef stock cube. That's it. I love bacon, don't get me wrong, but if you're adding bacon and other stuff it'll eventually cease to be spag bol. Folk that pile in celery and carrots etc and what have you aren't making proper authentic spag bol.

Carbonara is another dish commonly bastardised beyond recognition. 4 or 5 ingredients tops should be all you need for the whole dish.

Nice bit of rump for dinner tonight, sautéed mushrooms, steamed veg. No potatoes tonight as had chips for lunch so no need.

Carbs are bad. Good to limit them. I'll go 2 or 3 days a week eating none at all and my wife is carb-free 5+ days a week. Even today where I knew I was having fish and chips at our local (freshly bought from Gourdon and only available on the menu 2 or 3 days a week) tonight, I ate zero carbs beforehand. Watermelon and a blueberry actimel in the morning. Two different cheeses (very small portions) and a slice of neopolitan salami for lunch, finished with a small stem ginger in dark chocolate confection the size of your thumbnail and I never felt hungry all day. Half the week, I do feel hungry in the late afternoons and the feeling of hunger is a fantastic feeling. It's purifying to feel your stomach grumble. For half a century, I just ate when I felt like it and whilst we can get off with that sub 30 or 40, there's no excuse for eating junk food or in my case, loving sandwiches for lunch on an almost daily basis. Bread is the worst.

Bread is my favourite food.

We have lived through one hell of a lot of food fad shite in our time, I'm sticking with my crusty loaf.

It's a free world and you and I can eat what we like but you did say on the other thread that "the belly has to go". Denying yourself beer is tough. Limiting your bread intake is a much easier remedy. What happens is that your body re-adjusts when it comes to changes in carbohydrate intake and I couldn't now eat the quantities that I had been doing for decades. The result has been dramatic in just a few months. The belt I've had for 25+ years has gone from the outermost to the innermost (having started somewhere in the middle) and I've lost a stone and a half. It's the belly and waist which has reduced the most although people are noticing it in my face too. The wife has lost even more and is also feeling so much better and almost everyone at her work has been noticing and commenting.

We've never been on diets or fads in our lives. All we did was limit and reduce our carbs intake and whilst a quality bread can be a nice treat occasionally, even then if I eat too much I feel bloated and awful afterwards. The body trains itself to whatever we put in it and moderation is better than overindulgence. Sourdough bread much more tasty to me now. Crusty loaves and ciabattas and baguettes and rustic rolls etc. that I once loved, I couldn't physically eat much of these days.