Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Dons ask to cancel Motherwell Game

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Well they haven't but should they?

Tbh I'd rather play the game.  We have from Sat to Thur between games and I'd rather we didn't stew thinking about Copenhagen for 2 weeks after the killie game.  Much more important we get on a wee run and build our confidence (and sort out, or play as many different, defence)

I'd say do it but guaranteed that the SPL would be awkward about it.

I'd imagine it would go along the lines of:

SPL: "acceptable as long as both clubs agree to it"

There would probably be a huge amount of pressure put on Motherwell by the SPL and both sides of the OF to deny this request.

So in a roundabout way, they'd tell us to poke it.

There would probably be a huge amount of pressure put on Motherwell by the SPL and both sides of the OF to deny this request.

do motherwell not have form about cancelling games?

Sure the weather was rotten, or we had 4 players standing after the flu struck and they refused to cancel.

Pretty sure the game was then cancelled due to their shity pitch being flooded....again

Tbh I'm not fussed about playing it, but how they could possibly deny us it while letting Rangers, is beyond me. They've set a precedent, it'd have to be followed.

From what I gather that happened with Rangers, the SPL agreed that they were happy if both clubs were happy. Placing the decision making with the opposition club i.e. Gretna.

This way, they can be a governing body that doesn't actually make any decisions.  ::)

This precedent was set well before the Rangers game I believe, as we tried the same against Motherwell a few seasons back but Motherwell rejected our request and not the SPL.

Looking at it in a two faced way, we do not have the depth in squad to suffer injuries, so to poost pone the game with this in mind would mak a bitty o sense. A precedent has been set by the hun, if they can why cant we? A good way of exposing thier bias.

However i agree that it is important we build miomentum and confidence.  If Jimmy hasnt had things sorted out by this stage of the season, what hope is there....?

From what I gather that happened with Rangers, the SPL agreed that they were happy if both clubs were happy. Placing the decision making with the opposition club i.e. Gretna.

This way, they can be a governing body that doesn't actually make any decisions.  ::)

This precedent was set well before the Rangers game I believe, as we tried the same against Motherwell a few seasons back but Motherwell rejected our request and not the SPL.

Sure the rationale Murderwell used was that it was going to cost them £30k between lost corporate business and the fact they'd already ordered in thep ies for the Saturday game, and would have had to re-order if game changed to the Sunday ;)

dont htink we should ask.

make the huns look stupid for askin in the 1st place by publicly stating that AFC are a team of proffessionals that can handle playing 2 games in 4 days

I would love us to do that but maybe wait until after the Copo game in case it coame back to kick us in the ass ?

dont htink we should ask.

make the huns look stupid for askin in the 1st place by publicly stating that AFC are a team of proffessionals that can handle playing 2 games in 4 days

Saturday through to Thursday = 4??

Anyway, the idea of a postponement wasn't because players might be tired, but to insure against injuries.

Saturday through to Thursday = 4??

Anyway, the idea of a postponement wasn't because players might be tired, but to insure against injuries.

Seems like more of our players get injured in training than they do on match days anyway, possibly the same for most teams. ZD cripples half the team  :hammer:

Guest Caroline B

I'd rather play the game. Are we going soft or something? How many years have Scottish teams been playing in europe?

We should just get on with it and accept the circumstances. Football players are supposed to be among the fittest of sportsmen and should be able to cope with the pressures of mixing domestic and European ties with no problems. If they don't accept this then perhaps they should be playing for a less succesful club who only plays one match a week.

Play the match and play it to win.

Aye, fuckin right CarolineB. I mean, we played Watershei in the ECWC semi. Only three days earlier we were facing Celtic in the Scottish Cup. Postponing domestic fixtures to aid a bigger league is just a mark of a soft bunch of panzies. Get on with it. I mean, imagine if these guys actually had to work a 40-hour week??? They'd never last past the first coffee break on Monday! Panzies!!!

It would be very interesting to see what the SPL will say if we ask.

However, I feel we should be able to beat copenhagen without cancelling motherwell.

Very true. If we lose to them it will have nothing to do with the Motherwell game. Its all Chris Clarks doing.

From this morning's P&J.  Not clear whether this is an editorial statement or who it is that is asking for the postponement of the Motherwell game...

REDS NEED ALL HELP THEY CAN GET

08:50 - 10 December 2007

Aberdeen are entering a critical phase of their season and, despite injuries leaving their squad patchier than the missing canoeist's memory, they do so energised, thanks to both their own progress up the SPL and Wednesday's Uefa Cup results.

Having previously succeeded only in doing them over, Panathinaikos and Atletico Madrid found themselves doing Aberdeen a favour in midweek, delivering their European fate back into their own hands.

With two impressive December home wins, the Dons will be confident of making it a hat-trick and knocking over FC Copenhagen's Lego.

If they are to do so and become only the second Scottish team to escape a Uefa Cup group since the stage was introduced, they could do with a little help from within. Challenging on three fronts, Aberdeen played more games in October and November than the elves in Santa's quality control department.

It has taken its toll, with almost every outfield player forced to miss at least one match, even the indestructible Chris Clark who would normally only sit it out if a leg fell off too close to kick-off to have it reattached in time.

Aberdeen will need something close to their first 11 to beat the Danes and can encounter no mishaps in the next 10 days.

The Dons must seek the postponement of Saturday's visit to Motherwell in order to give the walking wounded the chance to rest and get the healthy few wrapped in cotton wool - and the SPL, after similarly acceding to excuse Rangers a visit to Fir Park before their Euro tie, must see that it is done.

It would have to be Motherwell thrown up by the fixture computer given the row over January's postponement request but, with a Dons European legend at the helm, Well are more likely to co-operate this season.