Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Vacations and stuff...2015

CtS

Right well, I booked London today with Sleazy Jet. 14th - 18th o Feb for me and the missus. Both got a few pals doon there so should be good.

For visiting/things to do, I am keen to go to the Imperial War Museum. Also wouldn't mind going to the British museum, Natural History Museum or the Science Museum. Anybody been to any of those? I'm sure I read on here before that the War Museum was really good? Worth going to any of the others?

Wouldn't mind on going to some of the markets either, what's best? Don't really know much about the London markets so any info would be appreciated!

I ken me missus would like to go and see a show or a musical so I was thinking about the Lion King as she's already stated she would love to go and see it (again). But there are other great shows out there, anybody got any other tips for good shows and musicals? Billy Elliot gets rave reviews?

I've already got a 2 for 1 offer on the London Eye so plan to use that. Is Big Ben and Buckingham Palace good to see? I know she is quite keen on the Royals for whatever reason so she might be quite keen to go.

Cheers!

Ooh well done for taking my advice and not going to Belfast  :thumbsup:

Do a bus tour and then you can take in Big Ben, Buckingham Palace etc

I saw Wicked in June with my girls and it was absolutely brilliant, would definitely recommend it and Billy Elliot is next on my list

If you like Harry Potter I would defo do the studio tour - it's in Watford but you can get a train there in twenty minutes from Euston and there is a shuttle bus

Have fun  ;)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been to lion king and blood brothers and can say lion king was phenomenal! If you get seats in the grand circle, you get animals being a lot more interactive with the crowd.

I was looking at tickets. Is there much difference between Grand Circle and Royal Circle? I didn't think there would be but wanted to make sure. I tend to find you get a good view regardless of where you're at at these type of things.

Cheers, I'll definitely look to do a open top tour. Sounds like the way to go!

• 2 months later...

Just booked myself a week long trip back home to Holland for the Queens birthday,  should be a massive party this year :)

Also off to Greece in late June for a mates wedding in Athens.  Going to be heading to Paros and possible Antiparos after, anyone been to those islands or tips for Greece?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We've booked Thailand for two weeks. Last week in October, first week in November! Can anyone give me any tips? Places to see and things to do? The plan so far is get into Bangkok and stay in Bangkok for 3/4 nights and then get an internal flight somewhere, poss Phuket and move around from there until we have to go back to Bangkok for our return flight. Anyone know of any good hotels around central Bangkok?! Trip advisor is doing my nut in!

Things that we are keen to do so far is night time safari, see a boxing match whilst we're in Bangkok , snorkelling etc, see the bridge over the River Kwai, go and see some of the markets/temples in Bangkok. That's all we've thought about but there will be no doubt countless more to come yet.

We've booked Thailand for two weeks. Last week in October, first week in November! Can anyone give me any tips? Places to see and things to do? The plan so far is get into Bangkok and stay in Bangkok for 3/4 nights and then get an internal flight somewhere, poss Phuket and move around from there until we have to go back to Bangkok for our return flight. Anyone know of any good hotels around central Bangkok?! Trip advisor is doing my nut in!

Things that we are keen to do so far is night time safari, see a boxing match whilst we're in Bangkok , snorkelling etc, see the bridge over the River Kwai, go and see some of the markets/temples in Bangkok. That's all we've thought about but there will be no doubt countless more to come yet.

The only tip I can give you is what my wifes uncle told me (he was there when he was in the Marines)

Feel for an adams apple before taking a woman back to your hotel  :thumbsup:

Sounds cracking, RDU, min. Unfortunately I've never been in that part of the world so can't really offer any advance on the golden advice already provided by Mentorred. I'm sure all the feminine looking men won't have you questioning your sexuality at all.  :thumbsup: Seriously though that sounds like it will be a good trip.

I'm away soon myself too. Back to Florida. It was ace last year and I'm hoping it'll be even better this year. This time in 2 weeks I'll be at Heathrow (I think). Fuck me, I hate Terminal 5. So cramped and just generally really shite.

The only tip I can give you is what my wifes uncle told me (he was there when he was in the Marines)

Feel for an adams apple before taking a woman back to your hotel  :thumbsup:

Thanks!  :-\ The only woman I will be taking back is the woman I went there with so pretty sure she doesn't have one!!

Where to start...

Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit Road is where we stayed (honeymoon).

Use the skytrain to get about - they're air-conditioned which is great respite.

The river taxis are also great fun, just don't put any part of your anatomy in the water.

If you must take a taxi, make sure it is one with the "taxi-meter" sign on it.

You absolutely must spend an entire day in Khao San Road.

Use the tuk-tuks with the white license plates and not the blue ones.

Golden Palace is definitely worth a look.

Patpong night market although seedy is also good.

Muay Thai - don't worry if you can't get tickets in Bangkok as they'll have events in Phuket as well.

Go to a restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms.  It's affiliated to a sexual health clinic.  Despite the name, it is a really good restaurant in a really good setting - a roof terrace with lots of greenery, like an oasis in the city.

The people are wonderful and mostly genuinely helpful.  You will get the odd bad egg but just keep your wits about you and all valuables out of sight.

You will genuinely go into some bars at night (especially in Patpong) and see western men openly cavorting with boys and girls of questionable age.  It is a seedy city especially at night but if you accept this and have the right attitude about it you'll be fine.

For the bridge over Kwai/death railway trip, it's almost an all-day thing plus you are strongly advised to take malaria medication.  We didn't think it would be worth it.  Best thing I'd advise is not to be sucked in too much by the excursions put on by your tour operator.  You'll pay western prices for things that need only cost a pittance, and the deal is that when you get to the destination you are then expected to buy a heap of shit that you don't want or need.  We went to a diamond factory or something and it was a complete and utter waste of an afternoon and money.

All in all, Thailand is a great place, you wont regret going.

Where to start...

Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit Road is where we stayed (honeymoon).

Use the skytrain to get about - they're air-conditioned which is great respite.

The river taxis are also great fun, just don't put any part of your anatomy in the water.

If you must take a taxi, make sure it is one with the "taxi-meter" sign on it.

You absolutely must spend an entire day in Khao San Road.

Use the tuk-tuks with the white license plates and not the blue ones.

Golden Palace is definitely worth a look.

Patpong night market although seedy is also good.

Muay Thai - don't worry if you can't get tickets in Bangkok as they'll have events in Phuket as well.

Go to a restaurant called Cabbages and Condoms.  It's affiliated to a sexual health clinic.  Despite the name, it is a really good restaurant in a really good setting - a roof terrace with lots of greenery, like an oasis in the city.

The people are wonderful and mostly genuinely helpful.  You will get the odd bad egg but just keep your wits about you and all valuables out of sight.

You will genuinely go into some bars at night (especially in Patpong) and see western men openly cavorting with boys and girls of questionable age.  It is a seedy city especially at night but if you accept this and have the right attitude about it you'll be fine.

For the bridge over Kwai/death railway trip, it's almost an all-day thing plus you are strongly advised to take malaria medication.  We didn't think it would be worth it.  Best thing I'd advise is not to be sucked in too much by the excursions put on by your tour operator.  You'll pay western prices for things that need only cost a pittance, and the deal is that when you get to the destination you are then expected to buy a heap of shit that you don't want or need.  We went to a diamond factory or something and it was a complete and utter waste of an afternoon and money.

All in all, Thailand is a great place, you wont regret going.

Cheers very much for all the info. Will definitely do a whole day of Khao San Road and will take your advice on travelling about with the sky ride, tuk tuks etc. I'm still not sure about the Kwai, just an idea but will obviously have to give it more thought if it's a whole day job/malaria jabs. It certainly looked it when I did a bit of research on it so I'll have a think. I hear what you're saying about the prices for tour operators. I'll stay clear unless it's something we've planned to do e.g snorkelling or a boat journey to some of the islands.

Went to Venice last weekend.  Amazing place for just wandering about and taking in the sites but fuck me the restaurants really take the piss - very expensive and not good value at all for most of the food we ate.  Really liked Venice though.

Apparently you want to go off the beaten track if you visit Venice. Everyone mentions how expensive the restaurants are in the touristy part of the place.

I'm away to TK Maxx at lunch time to see about finally getting a decent case of my own to save me having to keep borrowing one. Nae this one though:

http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-accessories/blue-hard-shell-spinner-suitcase/invt/10035979&bklist=icat,4,shop,1,1091

• 3 months later...