Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Vacations and stuff...2015

CtS

I really wasn't overly impressed by Munich. Compared to Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin it's pretty tame but Germans seem to be a friendly bunch in my experience.

Agree on the food, Dave.  Absolutely gash.

I liked Munich the first time I went there, but i've been back 4(?) times since then, and every time I like it a little less.

Cologne was surprisingly good and Berlin is Berlin.

I'm taking in Hamburg for the first time this year.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Munich the first time I went there, but i've been back 4(?) times since then, and every time I like it a little less.

My German visits so far:

Berlin x 2 - Amazing each time, spend most of the day sleeping though...

Bremen x 2 - No stress of many sights to see, more or less everything is around the main square.

Cologne - Great time.

Duisburg - Shit hole

Dusseldorf - Half shit hole, half nice. Around the river is lovely during the day and a decent night out.

Munich - Was there with Dons but would like to go back.

I feel as though I've been somewhere else too but I'm struggling to remember.

I'm currently equidistant from Frankfurt, Mainz and Stuttgart and hope to be visiting for soccer in the coming weeks. Mainz v Hannover on Saturday and then the Frankfurt derby on the 18th.

Hamburg is ace, absolutely crazy place. People are fantastic, had a very bizarre night in the Golden Poodle club (not as shady as it sounds!) but it's ranked as one of the best clubs in Hamburg even though it's essentially just a shack that has grass growing out of the roof.

Hamburg is ace, absolutely crazy place. People are fantastic, had a very bizarre night in the Golden Poodle club (not as shady as it sounds!) but it's ranked as one of the best clubs in Hamburg even though it's essentially just a shack that has grass growing out of the roof.

:hammer:

FFS Fucks sake!

I'm only due to be there one night and have a 9am flight the following day!

Don't suppose anybody knows if Copenhagen is pish or not?

sent from my iPhone, in Tillydrone, Aberdeen

I knew some lame cunt would say something along those lines so I took a quick snap.  Sadly the pic doesn't do it justice.  Should have got Kowalski to take it.

scaled.php?server=408&filename=photopa.jpg&res=medium

Every time I have oriental food it lacks much in the way of flavour though.

Good chips though?

Hamburg is ace.

Case closed.

Hamburg fucking rocks my world.

Don't suppose anybody knows if Copenhagen is pish or not?

I quite like Copenhagen.  Spring or summer is the time to visit though.  Get yourself down Ny Brygge on a Friday afternoon, either early on to get yourself a good seat around midday, or wander down a bit later after lunchtime with a carry out.  It'll be packed if the sun is out.

Tivoli's alright,  Christiania's definitely worth a visit if you 'legally' want to smoke week, if not just a wander around meeting the 'locals' there is interesting.  The Little Mermaid is probably a must-do but a bit disappointing due to location and the parks are all very nice in the summer for a mooch.

You can also take a short train ride over to Malmø in Sweden if you've got the time.  Couple nice squares there in the old town to hang around in.

Case closed.

Hamburg fucking rocks my world.

I quite like Copenhagen.  Spring or summer is the time to visit though.  Get yourself down Ny Brygge on a Friday afternoon, either early on to get yourself a good seat around midday, or wander down a bit later after lunchtime with a carry out.  It'll be packed if the sun is out.

Tivoli's alright,  Christiania's definitely worth a visit if you 'legally' want to smoke week, if not just a wander around meeting the 'locals' there is interesting.  The Little Mermaid is probably a must-do but a bit disappointing due to location and the parks are all very nice in the summer for a mooch.

You can also take a short train ride over to Malmø in Sweden if you've got the time.  Couple nice squares there in the old town to hang around in.

I did consider Malmo too.

I've gotta be in Gothenburg on the Saturday night, then I fly out of Hamburg on the Wednesday morning, no definite plans between then.

I always assumed that Hamburg was a bit pish because it was an industrial town in West Germany and I disliked the people after I got sacked by St. Pauli. Turns out I was wrong!

Starting to wish i'd maybe had a bit longer for my trip  :-\

I did consider Malmo too.

I've gotta be in Gothenburg on the Saturday night, then I fly out of Hamburg on the Wednesday morning, no definite plans between then.

Should have just taken the train down from G'burg, through Malmø, Copenhagen then onto H'burg.  Hindsight and all that.

Gothia Towers is worth a visit in G'burg.  Top floor, 360 bar, which gets packed on Fri/Sat nights.  Good view of the city, more importantly the stadium and if you're there during daylight hours then treat yourself to a bowl of the prawns, they're legendary.  'The Avenue' is the main strip with all the bars but there's an area a mate took me to which was off the beaten track but I can't remember the name of it other than there being a rock bar called 'Sticky Fingers'.

Malmø's ok for a day trip, wouldn't bust a gut to get there if you're on a tight schedule but if you are and you like architecture/buildings then go check out the Turning Torso.  I spent an afternoon there just sitting on a bench watching some dudes on fast ropes, cleaning windows.  There's a bar at the bottom just outside it called the Torso Twisted(?) which I found mildly amusing.

224px-Turning_Torso.jpg

I always assumed that Hamburg was a bit pish because it was an industrial town in West Germany and I disliked the people after I got sacked by St. Pauli. Turns out I was wrong!

Starting to wish i'd maybe had a bit longer for my trip  :-\

Mark McGhee played for Hamburg.  You should look him up on Wikipedia.  ;)

By and large I've always found industrial towns to have more character, better boozers, earthy people, and all that.

One of the most random / best nights I've ever had was up the Reeperbahn in Hamburg on a Monday night.  Completely unplanned for I might add.  I started off with a bag full of dirty clothes looking to get them washed.  I stopped off at a bar for a 'quick pint' and to ask the locals if they knew where there was a laundrette nearby and the rest, they say, is history.  ;D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Am sure I saw the summer holiday thread the other day but now canna fin it.

So, going to book a few days away in the last week of June, wondered where you all suggest for cheapish last minute?

Not averse to going same place twice but ideally somewhere other than Krakow, Prague, Ljubljana, Vienna, Stockholm, Budapest, Zagreb, Bratislava.

Going Sarajevo - Mostar - Dubrovnik at the end of august.  Really looking forward to it.

Have you booked where to stay in mostar yet? If not, stay at taso's guest house! He took great care of us and made sure we had a good time. Sarajevo was beautiful too. Very jealous!

• 1 month later...