Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Vacations and stuff...2015

CtS

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just booked a heap of annual leave at work. Loch Lomond for a few days in the middle of next month, then doon to Newcastle and Glasgow for a couple of gigs. Then a long weekend in Frankfurt for a Bundasliga match and then on the 28th I'm away to LA(ish) for a week and a half to run the rule over Dandy Don's new abode.  :wave:

Just booked a heap of annual leave at work. Loch Lomond for a few days in the middle of next month, then doon to Newcastle and Glasgow for a couple of gigs. Then a long weekend in Frankfurt for a Bundasliga match and then on the 28th I'm away to LA(ish) for a week and a half to run the rule over Dandy Don's new abode.  :wave:

nice one... last break could provide an opportunity to resolve "live chat" issue  ;D

Loch Lomond next week, Oz next month, Torridon in March, Applecross in June, Eastern Europe or Ireland in July/August,  Loch Lomond in August, maybe Italy in September and Italy next year too.

Where in Oz?

I've got a work trip to Brisbane next month which should be good.

• 1 month later...

Was in Thailand for 2 weeks at the end of October/start of November. Had an absolutely fantastic time, would happily go again. Absolutely stunning country and did everything we wanted to do. Was in Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi, Kanchanaburi before heading back to Bangkok for our flight home. A holiday of a lifetime really and as I say, would easily go back again (although not to the same places). Loved everything about it except constantly having to say 'No' when walking down Koh Saon Road or Bangla Road in Patong. Got pretty lucky with the weather really, apart from our day in Kanchanburi where it rained pretty hard until we were on our way back to Bangkok. Apart from that, just the odd 'shower' here or there. Food was absolutely amazing. If anyone goes, definitely mostly eat the street food. So much better than any restuarant, it's fresh, you see it being cooked and it's for a fraction of the price. Don't let the fairly dirty chairs or patio tables put you off!

This year, I'm thinking doing a spot of inter-railing around September/October time, hopefully getting to Oktoberfest at the same time. Anyone else done that? Is it as easy as jumping off one train, staying a few days and jumping on another?

This year, I'm thinking doing a spot of inter-railing around September/October time, hopefully getting to Oktoberfest at the same time. Anyone else done that? Is it as easy as jumping off one train, staying a few days and jumping on another?

Aye, piece of piss.

Although I never bought the inter-railing ticket.  Can't remember why, possibly because there were too many constraints for my proposed journey.  I just turned up at the stations and bought a ticket as I went.

Aye, piece of piss.

Although I never bought the inter-railing ticket.  Can't remember why, possibly because there were too many constraints for my proposed journey.  I just turned up at the stations and bought a ticket as I went.

Inter-rail tickets are no longer great value.

If you can be arsed planning ahead a bit, you can get some pretty serious value on advanced single tickets crossing Europe. You'll be slightly restricted in that you can't wake up and think today i'm going to head to Warsaw (without buying a new ticket), but when you get a €200 ticket for €29, can you really complain?

All your European Rail questions can be answered by the Loon in Seat 61, see here: http://www.seat61.com/

Inter-rail tickets are no longer great value.

If you can be arsed planning ahead a bit, you can get some pretty serious value on advanced single tickets crossing Europe. You'll be slightly restricted in that you can't wake up and think today i'm going to head to Warsaw (without buying a new ticket), but when you get a €200 ticket for €29, can you really complain?

All your European Rail questions can be answered by the Loon in Seat 61, see here: http://www.seat61.com/

I'll look into planning ahead, I'll do anything for a bargain! Any particular bits that are a 'must see' whilst doing it?

I bought a map of Europe and stuck pins in the places I wanted to visit.  I then planned a route and figured out roughly how long I'd be in each place so I kinda knew dates.  That said I never bought tickets as I wanted to be able to chop and change en route.  Plus I didn't want that feeling of having to be somewhere at a certain time.

I also aimed to visit big cities at the weekends since there would be more going on and then chilled out in smaller towns during the week.

If you do all that then I suppose you could then go online and check out prices for tickets, search for deals and pre-book.

I'll look into planning ahead, I'll do anything for a bargain! Any particular bits that are a 'must see' whilst doing it?

You could do a lot worse than stick pins in a map.

If you're heading Munich way, Salzburg is good for a day, Nuremburg is a decent stopover en-route to Prague, Switzerland/Vaduz are both really cool but overpriced and not really 'value'.

If you're heading South-West, Trieste is a surprisingly nice City and Ljubljana is by far the nicest city in Yugoslavia. Zagreb is crap.

I've never been to Budapest, but nobody's ever been there and not liked it (that I know anyway).

Vienna is like Germany, but without the Germans and much nicer for it. Speaking of staying in Germany- visit Berlin, it's good. Bratislava had a nice chilled out feel.

I'm a big fan of Poland. I'm pretty sure you can get a sleeper train from Berlin to Warsaw. I'm planning to visit Krakow sometime soon, not sure when exactly.

Erm...I'll maybe add to this some more when I think about it.

You could do a lot worse than stick pins in a map.

If you're heading Munich way, Salzburg is good for a day, Nuremburg is a decent stopover en-route to Prague, Switzerland/Vaduz are both really cool but overpriced and not really 'value'.

If you're heading South-West, Trieste is a surprisingly nice City and Ljubljana is by far the nicest city in Yugoslavia. Zagreb is crap.

I've never been to Budapest, but nobody's ever been there and not liked it (that I know anyway).

Vienna is like Germany, but without the Germans and much nicer for it. Speaking of staying in Germany- visit Berlin, it's good. Bratislava had a nice chilled out feel.

I'm a big fan of Poland. I'm pretty sure you can get a sleeper train from Berlin to Warsaw. I'm planning to visit Krakow sometime soon, not sure when exactly.

Erm...I'll maybe add to this some more when I think about it.

Vienna I found pretty boring too. 

Zagreb is crap but the rest of Croatia is well worth a visit.

Vienna I found pretty boring too. 

Zagreb is crap but the rest of Croatia is well worth a visit.

I actually only spent 1 night in Vienna, so you may well be right. I've to go on a "training course" there this summer so shall report back in due course.

I agree with you on Croatia.

In addition to places mentioned by Dave Min would recommend Belgrade and Skopje if you are in Balkans region.

I would 2nd Dave's recommendations on Ljubljana and Bratislava as places not to be missed.

I have been to Budapest and loved it and would say its worth a visit.

Brno in the Czech Republic also worth checking out.

I liked both Vienna and Zagreb although my view on Zagreb maybe down to the permanent drunken haze I was in on both my visits.