Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Vacations and stuff...2015

CtS

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dined tonight in Anguillara Sabazia on Lake Bracciano, a stunning old town.

I am a huge fan of Italy.

Dumping the hire car tomorrow morning and spending the weekend in Navona,  Roma.

May go to the Vatican City at some point to spit on the pavements.

Always got to balance the yin with the yang.

I don't approve of their kid-fucking condoning policies.

I found St Peter's Square to be pretty cool, quite dramatic looking and the Basilica is worth a look.  Went into the Vatican tour and I found it quite disgusting - the place is dripping in gold; tapestries woven with gold hang on the walls of all the corridors (most of which lead to a gift shop), sell a few of them and give the money to those who need it in the world.  The Cistene Chapel..? Wasn't overly impressed, but i suppose it's not a bad effort for a painter and decorator.

Italy is magic though, my favourite country.

I found St Peter's Square to be pretty cool, quite dramatic looking and the Basilica is worth a look.  Went into the Vatican tour and I found it quite disgusting - the place is dripping in gold; tapestries woven with gold hang on the walls of all the corridors (most of which lead to a gift shop), sell a few of them and give the money to those who need it in the world.  The Cistene Chapel..? Wasn't overly impressed, but i suppose it's not a bad effort for a painter and decorator.

Italy is magic though, my favourite country.

5394b96a26442.jpg

Where did you go? I spent most time in Amed (scuba diving was brilliant) and then a few days in Ubud - people were really friendly and it was inexpensive

We were in Seminyak.  I didn't not have a good time, I just don't think the 16 hour flight justified the outcome.  You could reach Cuba, Cancun, India, Thailand or one of the Caribbean islands with 6 hours to kill and I think you'd have better beaches, waves, food, culture, hotels, etc.

I think it gets such a big name because of it's proximity to Australia.  The Aussies flock there because it's not Australia.  They lap it up because it's different, of course in comparison to Austrialia it is, but if you're flying from the UK then I'd give it a miss and aim for something a bit closer......... (better?).

That said, I'd recommend Bali if you weren't travelling that far to get to it, and the scuba diving is excellent.

• 4 months later...

Fit's the best place to purchased USD? And by best I mean the place that will give you the best rate without taking your money and running. The last couple of times I've used Debenhams because they had the best rate but it looks like their rate is terrible now. Way below 1.5.  :hammer:

• 1 month later...

Hvar or Vis?

Thumbs up for either/or from me.  :thumbsup:

Makarska some wee toon on the mainland. just over the water from Brac, ive been to split and brac before with work a good many years ago.

are Hvar and Vis worth day trips to? just after sitting in the sun, with red wine and a good scoff

Makarska some wee toon on the mainland. just over the water from Brac, ive been to split and brac before with work a good many years ago.

are Hvar and Vis worth day trips to? just after sitting in the sun, with red wine and a good scoff

You'd want to spend more than a day on Hvar.  Nice island and some cracking seafood but worth a visit anyway!

Nae motivated tae dee much but will do Kinlochrannoch soon...and I do like an occasional visit to London.

Once I'm aff the anti-cancer shit.

Plenty more holidays to take after all that's done  :thumbsup:

A few small breaks this year, off to Cornwall for May bank holiday and then Italy in July, around the Naples region. Anyone been before?

Plenty more holidays to take after all that's done  :thumbsup:

A few small breaks this year, off to Cornwall for May bank holiday and then Italy in July, around the Naples region. Anyone been before?

Naples is a toilet.  Or at least 'was' when I visited in 2009.

The mafia own the bin lorries, there was a dispute over something or other, so the bin men downed tools and residents were forced to throw their rubbish out onto the streets or fly tip fridges or black bags at the sides of the road.  Seriously fucking disgusting.

Drive south down the Amalfi Coast, stop at loads of cool wee towns perched on the hillside, make your way down to beaches at the bottom (don't swim in the sea, or you'll be up to your neck in the aforementioned tampons) and bring a wallet stuffed with cash because they're literally tourist traps.

I enjoyed everything south of Naples, that and Pompeii.

The mafia own the bin lorries, there was a dispute over something or other, so the bin men downed tools and residents were forced to throw their rubbish out onto the streets or fly tip fridges or black bags at the sides of the road.  Seriously fucking disgusting.

Drive south down the Amalfi Coast, stop at loads of cool wee towns perched on the hillside, make your way down to beaches at the bottom (don't swim in the sea, or you'll be up to your neck in the aforementioned tampons) and bring a wallet stuffed with cash because they're literally tourist traps.

I remember hearing about that on the news actually (the bin strike). Luckily we are heading south I believe, girlfriends folks have a villa hired in the countryside somewhere. I'm hoping the sea has been cleaned out since than, not high on my list swimming with tampons...not the type of deep sea diving I enjoy  :thumbsup:

sure i was reading something (might have been a mafia novel rather than news though) about the whole area being full of toxic waste, the mafia were making a fortune off disposal contracts, but instead of disposing of it properly, they were just dumping it all over the region

sure i was reading something (might have been a mafia novel rather than news though) about the whole area being full of toxic waste, the mafia were making a fortune off disposal contracts, but instead of disposing of it properly, they were just dumping it all over the region

I'm sure there was a documentary about it? Using old quaries etc...that or it was in Gomorra.

I remember hearing about that on the news actually (the bin strike). Luckily we are heading south I believe, girlfriends folks have a villa hired in the countryside somewhere. I'm hoping the sea has been cleaned out since than, not high on my list swimming with tampons...not the type of deep sea diving I enjoy  :thumbsup:

I'm sure I've posted a pic of a tourist spot there, strewn with rubbish, earlier on in this thread.  Take a look if you can be bothered filtering through for it.

You can also take a boat ride out to the island of Capri which you can see from Sorrento, supposed to be really nice, although I never got round to it.

I love Italy.

I love Italy.

Me too. Not just the obvious bits neither. Roma is phenomenal and unique. Tuscany is as good as everyone says it is although we far preferred Siena more than Firenze. In the north, Milano and Torino are just fantastic.

But off the beaten tracks, there's some serious magic to be found. We were in Lecce for a week. Nobody speaks English so the opposite of a tourist trap. Cheap as chips, a genuine authentic part of the country, complete with natural political incorrectness. The chocolate ice cream in the Gelateria was called Obama when we were there, I kid you not.