Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Cadger coming home ?

Lifted from today's online Sun.

As per usual not a single quote to back up any of this.

RUSSELL ANDERSON is edging closer to an emotional return to hometown team Aberdeen.

SunSport can reveal the former Dons captain is in talks with Derby to have his contract paid up and become an instant free agent.

Veteran Anderson, 33, is recovering from a hamstring injury and has only six months left of his Rams deal.

County boss Nigel Clough is happy for the ex-Scotland stopper to leave without a fee and it's believed Anderson's already been invited to continue his rehab at Pittodrie.

For now it's merely a friendly gesture for a hugely popular former player who made over 300 appearances for Aberdeen between 1996-2007 and was given a testimonial.

But it's believed Dons boss Craig Brown is poised to make him a pay-as-you-play offer for at least the rest of the season.

Anderson is keen to take his family back north after four years in England.

He left for Sunderland in a £1million move and had high hopes of making a big impact in the Premiership.

But cruel injury problems wrecked his ambitions at the Stadium of Light and the man who signed him, Roy Keane, was sacked.

Anderson has also played for Plymouth and Burnley.

Brown is desperate to bring in experienced players to bolster Aberdeen's fight for SPL survival and has tried before for Ando.

The timing wasn't right then, but it now looks perfect.

Brown, though, will be anxious to discover when Anderson will be available for action again.

Under-pressure Dons gaffer Brown needs to strengthen a defence which let slip a 2-0 lead against St Mirren on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3992486/Russ-Anderson-set-for-Dons-return.html#ixzz1gJ7PCfYU

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy for him to return on a pay as you play deal.  :thumbsup:

In fairness that is the ONLY way that this could possibly work for us. No way can we afford to spunk a wage on someone with that injury history. Might be good to have around the place, and give the club a wee lift, christ knows we need one ::)

In fairness that is the ONLY way that this could possibly work for us. No way can we afford to spunk a wage on someone with that injury history. Might be good to have around the place, and give the club a wee lift, christ knows we need one ::)

I'm glad someone at the club (probably brown)  is being sensible. Would certainly welcome him back even just to provide everyone with some guidance!

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of the guy but even I would be very sceptical about taking him back on anything other than a PAYP deal. AFC football Club has nothing to lose so fuck it. Why not.

We were arguing about where we need to strengthen the team on the way home on Sat.  Yes we could do with a decent CB but surely the priority is to get width into the team and someone to create chances.  Our defence isn't the worst bit of our team, although it has not been helped by the change of keeper.  Even a pay as you pay deal will see cash being spent that we can't use to strengthen the team elsewhere

We could do with an on field leader too though which we also discussed. Yes we need width, but some knackers on the pitch would be nice too, yes from me. Play Pawlett.

Fair points well made. Anderson however was very much a lead by example kind of guy, if he can stay fit it'll be a great move. It's a big IF however.

EE running with it:

Russell Anderson would be welcomed back at Aberdeen FC

Craig Brown hails ‘strong prospect’

By Sean Wallace

Published: 12/12/2011

MANAGER Craig Brown today paved the way for Russell Anderson to return to Aberdeen FC.

The former skipper is set to arrive at Pittodrie this week to complete his rehabilitation from a hamstring injury.

It is understood Derby are set to pay for the remaining six months of the Scotland international’s contract. That would make Anderson a free agent and open the way for a return to Aberdeen FC.

Do not get me wrong a fully fit Anderson would be an asset to the club however as he has only managed 54 games in the 4 years he has been away from us I would guess it is a pretty fair bet that he will never be fully fit.

A fair bit of that was due to just not being first choice. Not necessarily injured. Again, though, I don't see how you can go wrong with a PAYP deal.

Pay as you play couldn't be a bad deal in any way.

If he's in the team we'll be harder to beat. If he's not in the team then he'll be in the position of 'good to have about the place' and should become club captain immediately.

I seem to remember feeling like players used to have someone in the dressing room making them give a fuck.

Also in that case, I assume (if I ever see a quote* from the club saying we will sign him) this means the budget allows for a new player who could potentially play in every game (smith and mcnamee eg), and considerably influence the garbage on the pitch.

*The coverage of AFC - EE being the main culprit - adds exponentially to the horror of life as an aberdeen fan. Constantly putting out articles (or article previews. fuck the paywall) with no quotes is just a means to spread unconstructive rumour, put out misinformation and give plausible deniability to the people running the club. They always have an excuse to trott out.

I always thought he would be back in a few years when left.  Potentially a season changing signing if he could stay fit for a run of games.  Could also solve the captain issue as well as i dont think foster is ready for it.  Not sure if CB would make that call midseason but defo in the summer