Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Cadger coming home ?

Former Aberdeen skipper Russell Anderson hoping for Pittodrie return after leaving Derby County

Dec 13 2011 Exclusive by Gavin Berry

RUSSELL ANDERSON admits he has to beat the crock at Pittodrie or he’ll have to call time on his dream of starring for the Dons again.

The Aberdeen legend is using his hometown club’s training facilities as he looks to end the four-and-a-half years of injury hell he has suffered since leaving his boyhood heroes.

The 33-year-old is fighting his way back from a ruptured hamstring after leaving Derby by mutual consent.

And he is now desperate to pull on a red jersey again to confound the critics who have already written him off.

Anderson, who’ll be cheering on his old team as they take on St Johnstone tonight, said: “I’ve been injured a lot and let down too many times.

“I’ve thought, ‘I’m over this’ lots of times and had a good pre-season and broken down again.

“I’d love to keep playing. I know there will be people out there who say, ‘He’s had too many injuries’ so I just want to prove my fitness first and foremost and anything after that is a bonus.

“I am under no illusions that I need to prove myself all over again. I have a bit to go before I will be playing again. We’re talking months rather than weeks.

“At the end of the day I’d like to play but sometimes that can be taken out of your hands.

“I’ll use the facilities at Aberdeen to continue my rehabilitation. I know the physios at the club and I have faith in them.

“Everyone knows I’m from Aberdeen and the plan was always to come home at some stage but it’s maybe come a bit quicker than I thought.”

Anderson’s troubles began soon after he was signed by Sunderland boss Roy Keane for £1million in 2007.

The centre-half only played one Premiership game before rupturing his ankle ligaments.

As he battled back to fitness he was loaned out to Plymouth and Burnley but was then hit with a serious knee problem. He moved to Derby in 2010 but his time there was also blighted by injury and Rams boss Nigel Clough was happy to let him go.

Anderson said: “With the rehabilitation I was doing, the manager looked at the bigger picture and I came to an agreement with Derby on Friday to terminate my contract.

“I have to say it’s been one big anti-climax since I left Aberdeen.

“It has been frustrating and disappointing to have not played as much as I would have liked.”

The former Scotland star started his career at Pittodrie and spent 11 years at the club.

And Craig Brown admits he’d love to hand Anderson a deal – so long as he is over all his injury problems.

He said: “It would be a wonderful acquisition, if he’s fit.

“We’d love to have him back on the staff here but it would require someone buying one of our players or players moving on elsewhere.

“Our player budget has reached its limit and that reduces the immediate chance of him signing.”

Aberdeen skipper Ricky Foster would also love to see his predecessor sign on again at his spiritual home. He said: “Russell was a great player for Aberdeen.

“He was one of the main reasons we qualified for Europe and why we were in the top six every season.

“He was inspirational to the team and especially for young players like myself and Andrew Considine at the time. It would give us all a massive lift to have him back.”

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear milne.

We all hate you. We are sure you know this. So. Do something (for once) to show that you have the best interests of AFC and its team at heart.

If the best CB we have had since the 80's want to come back to the club and he is fit, then instead of saving a bit of cash that you will use to punt Brown and Knox, why dont you use it to strengethen the squad up. I know this is a crazy idea, but hey, you never know. It might buy you with a little good will from the supporters. 

Merry Christmas you crook

Capitalsharpie

Hibs join Aberdeen FC in race to sign Anderson- SPL rivals keen on Russell

ABERDEEN FC have been warned they face competition for ex-skipper Russell Anderson.

SPL rivals Hibs, who expressed an interest in signing free agent Anderson last summer, are likely to be keen again.

But Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown has been reassured by the player’s agent, Blair Morgan, they will have the first option on signing the 33-year-old.

• 2 weeks later...
Aberdeen FC fans will have to wait for Anderson

Craig Brown in no rush to sign Russell

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 27/12/2011

ABERDEEN FC fans were today warned they will have to be patient as they wait for the chance to see Russell Anderson in a red shirt again.

Former skipper Anderson is back at Pittodrie recuperating from a hamstring injury after agreeing to terminate his contract with Derby County.

With the transfer window due to open again in five days, Aberdeen FC fans are excited by the prospect of seeing Anderson playing for his home town club again.

The good news is that Foster is not the captain.

If Anderson was to sign should he automatically be captain? Doesnt know the vast majority of the team and wont be fit till Feb.

I read elsewhere it wouldn't be till March? Either way, if he's pay as you play then it is a good deal for the club and Ando  :thumbsup:

I still think Arnason should be captain.

I read elsewhere it wouldn't be till March? Either way, if he's pay as you play then it is a good deal for the club and Ando  :thumbsup:

I still think Arnason should be captain.

Agree fully. I read somewhere (must've been on here?) that he wasn't going to be back this season?  :-\

Kaptain Kari it is then!  :thumbsup:

Anderson set to sign deal with Aberdeen FC

Craig Brown homes in on former skipper

By Sean Wallace

Published: 12/01/2012

RUSSELL Anderson looks set to confirm his return to Aberdeen FC within the next 24 hours.

Boss Craig Brown delivered good news to Aberdeen FC fans yesterday by securing top scorer Scott Vernon and defender Andrew Considine on extended contracts.

He is now close to concluding a deal with former club skipper Anderson, who is a free agent after being released by Derby County.