Wednesday 29th May 2024

Scottish League Cup Group Stage Draw - 1pm

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Maguire called up vs Brazil

Hopefully he will get more match time, but I'm also hoping that this doesn't give him delusions of grandeur and think that it's time to leave the dons for he would perceive as greater heights, but in reality not getting a game every week in some 1st division english club and then disappearing into the ether

Thanks for sorting my spelling. I guess doing that, then posting the patronising message, makes you feel pretty amazing!

Anyway...I hope he gets at least 45 mins in this one.

Lol, I wouldn't say he meant to come across as patrionising, its his old age ;)

Fingers crossed he gets a bit more game time, but I hope he doesn't think he's made it.

Thanks for sorting my spelling. I guess doing that, then posting the patronising message, makes you feel pretty amazing!

You can't even begin to imagine................

However next time I'll leave you to look a dick if thats preferable to you ::)

You can't even begin to imagine................

However next time I'll leave you to look a dick if thats preferable to you ::)

Hello feel free to fix my spelling anytime  ;)

ps agree with dave_min he is not good enough yet but it might give him a bit of confidence i suppose.

Anyway...I hope he gets at least 45 mins in this one.

I may be guessing wrong, however if you spelled Maguire's name wrong then I, for one, would have corrected it! Pet hate/ OCD/ Pedantic -; call it what you want. Imho, all Aberdeen fans should be able to spell our player's names correctly!

Do agree in hoping he gets more time in this one, although think whole experience be beneficial to him. If, as popular opinion, he will not be signing a new contract with Aberdeen then surely the 2 call-ups to full squad will increase compensation we are due for him??  :-\

P.S. mizer, new "smiley" potentially required! , .....  suicidal! ;)

Jimmy hopes to see his protege Maguire take on Brazil

By Stephen Kasiewicz

Published: 25/03/2011

Jimmy Calderwood reckons that Chris Maguire was destined for Scotland recognition before the player had even kicked a ball for Aberdeen’s first team.

Calderwood gave Maguire his Aberdeen debut when the attacker was just 17 – a 2-2 draw with Celtic at Pittodrie at the end of the 2005-2006 season.

Fast-forward five years and Maguire is set to win his second cap – this time against the Samba Stars of Brazil at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium on Sunday.

Calderwood, who also brought Maguire to Kilmarnock on-loan last season, has had his run-ins with the attacker, but never doubted his talent.

Now in charge at Ross County, Calderwood said: “I always had a feeling he would get into the Scotland squad. He was very confident in his own ability.

“He is a really good player. I gave him his debut and he will never forget that.

“He deserved it but we had Darren Mackie and Lee Miller firing on all cylinders in those days and he was getting a wee bit frustrated to say the least and he knocked my door down. He would frustrate you sometimes but in a nice sort of way and you would give him a slap now and then.

“It is great when you give a young kid his debut and you see a player move on in their career. You hope they have taken something from you. I am sure Chris would have good answers about that.

“It is great for him and one thing he won’t lack is confidence on Sunday.”

Calderwood believes Maguire has steadily improved after questioning his attitude in previous years.

He added: “Chris is brilliant to work with but he speaks his mind, which is not a bad thing, but he has to listen also.

“He is a great lad to work with but sometimes he thinks he knows better than other people. But he loves training and would stay out all day finishing.

“As long as keeps learning he will be fine.

“He has a tendency, although he has improved a lot on it, that when he has five or six good games he then starts resting on his laurels.

“You cannot do that otherwise you will get your backside kicked.

“I had him on loan at Kilmarnock as well.

“He is a bubbly character but he just has to keep working hard.”