Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Films

manc_don

Just seen We Need to Talk about Kevin.

Loved the book and thought it was a good film but not sure if I liked it never mind enjoyed it (if that makes sense).

The climax of the film and the general narrative was definitely effected by the fact I'd read the book, would perhaps have been more affecting if I hadn't know the story in advance.  Certainly intense and disturbing with some great performances but the book was, for me, was even more so.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant film/s, really do the books justice which is pretty rare.  Have you read them kow?

I've seen the three original theatrical versions, now working my way through reading each book then watching the extended film of each book.  Two to go!

And for Jager's benefit, the extended versions now come with English dialogue!  :thumbsup:

I've seen the three original theatrical versions, now working my way through reading each book then watching the extended film of each book.  Two to go!

And for Jager's benefit, the extended versions now come with English dialogue!  :thumbsup:

Not seen the extended editions so may just have to check those out

Aye, I ken - but the mouths dinna match up with the words  :hammer:

As an aside - I tried to start watching 3 films on a flight last week...

1. The Beaver - Mel Gibson & Jodie Foster - man has breakdoon and talks to beaver hand puppet... lasted 5 mins (if that). Avoid.

2. The Banger Sisters - Goldie Hawn and Susan Sarandon - never even got as far as seeing Susan Sarandon cos it was a crock. Avoid.

3. Monte Carlo - this one I stuck at but only cause the quine in it and her 2 sisters were nae bad looking. Total drivel from start to finish. Avoid.

Selena-Gomez-Monte-Carlo-Movie-Poster.jpg

Admit it

you only got the first  2 for the title and never read the speel

2:50 onwards

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen We Need to Talk about Kevin.

Loved the book and thought it was a good film but not sure if I liked it never mind enjoyed it (if that makes sense).

The climax of the film and the general narrative was definitely effected by the fact I'd read the book, would perhaps have been more affecting if I hadn't know the story in advance.  Certainly intense and disturbing with some great performances but the book was, for me, was even more so.

I thought the film was a brilliant adaptation of the book - Tilda Swinton was superb 

• 1 month later...

Going to wait for the dvd i think Kow, i've seen and read the originals far too recently

Saw it this afternoon and it's a good film but not as good as the original IMHO.  The definitive version for me is the three hour Swedish version.

But it was a good film which more or less kept true to the book with a few annoying tweaks. Opening sequence was excellent.  Although Rooney Mara is very good in it, she is not a patch on Noomi Rapace IMHO.

I don't know if I would have a different opinion if I saw the Hollywood version first, but I prefer the darker, eerie, moodier original.

A couple of folk I was with preferred this new version, but hadn't seen the extended version of the original (only the cinematic version).

• 3 weeks later...

Just downloaded Gomorrah, anyone else seen it? Three years old, but I finally got round to watching the documentary about the Camorra on my Sky + this afternoon and it was followed by this. Might give it a watch after the football.

I've got the DVD but no watched it yet! I've recently watched 127 Hours - good film and captures quite a horrifying situation pretty well IMO. I watched Unforgiven last night for the first time - very good film. Enjoyed it!

Saw Horrible Bosses last night, Jennifer Aniston far from shabby.

:thumbsup:

Watched Drive last night. Fucking Superb! Loved the 80's feel from the "Cocktail" style neon credits to the not pandering to American box office tweens and making it actually violent. Ryan Gosling ice cold cool and Carey Mulligan strangely hot.

The stupidity of the great (sic) British public never fails to astound:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/jan/18/the-artist-silent-film-refunds

Filmgoers demand refunds after discovering The Artist is silent film

Punters in Liverpool didn't know awards contender was dialogue-free, black and white and shown in reduced screen format

It is being heavily tipped for Oscars glory next month after taking the Golden Globes by storm and racking up 12 Bafta nominations, but it seems not everyone has found themselves wowed by the nostalgic charms of The Artist, French film-maker Michel Hazanavicius's much-hyped hymn to Hollywood's golden era. A cinema in Liverpool has been forced to offer refunds after filmgoers complained that they had not realised the movie was silent and in black and white.

A spokesperson for Odeon Liverpool One confirmed to the Daily Telegraph that the first award-winning silent film in more than 90 years had not been to everybody's taste. There were also suggestions that cinemagoers felt short-changed by the movie's reduced screen size, intended as a tribute to the look of silent films from the early part of the 20th century.

"Odeon Liverpool One can confirm it has issued a small number of refunds to guests who were unaware that The Artist was a silent film," said the spokesperson. "The cinema is happy to offer guests a refund on their film choice if they raise concern with a member of staff within 10 minutes of the film starting."

The Artist, which centres on the romance between a fading star of the silent era and a young ingenue who rises to the top following the arrival of the talkies, picked up Golden Globes for best actor in a musical or comedy (Jean Dujardin), best musical or comedy film and best score at the weekend. For all the hype, it has not so far proved a major box-office smash, taking just $27m worldwide.

That could change if the film triumphs at next month's Academy Awards: previous big winners such as Slumdog Millionaire and last year's The King's Speech experienced a significant box-office bounce after carrying all before them. The nominations for this year's Oscars are announced next Tuesday ahead of the ceremony on 26 February.