Sunday 12 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Hibernian v Aberdeen

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Films

manc_don

Southern Comfort, cracking movie available on BBC i-playa right now.

I dare ya, I double dare ya, to agree with this assessment.

Now let's guess who will run to his support, shall we?

A film for morons, badly acted, with zero plot, zero start and zero end. A film for the feeble-minded who have no love in their heart.

To recommend this shite to others is tantamount to a patent display of self loathing, where some of us saw the signs all along.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Clockwork Orange last night. Love that film. Unlike Darren Mackie I'm planning on reading the book too. Apparently the book is more brutal and violent. Yas.

The film finishes a bit short of the ending in the book and doesn't have the same moral stance.

However seeing the film helps with the understanding of the book especially in terms of the use of Nadsat.

Very good book and film though.

I read that too.. although at the end of the film it does imply that he's no longer cured. I gather the book goes into that a bit further. I love the dialogue. Genius. Kubrick is the only director IMO my opinion who betters Tarantino when it comes to scenes made enjoyable just by the dialogue. Having not read the book yet it may be that most of this credit is due to the book's author Anthony Burgess.

I read that too.. although at the end of the film it does imply that he's no longer cured. I gather the book goes into that a bit further. I love the dialogue. Genius. Kubrick is the only director IMO my opinion who betters Tarantino when it comes to scenes made enjoyable just by the dialogue. Having not read the book yet it may be that most of this credit is due to the book's author Anthony Burgess.

The film implies that he will go back to his old ways.

I believe that the glorification of the violence in the film was a problem for Burgess. They British publics' reaction to it was a big factor in Kubrik withdrawing it from release in the UK until his death. The first time I watched it it had dutch subtitles.

Can't remember enough about the film to talk specifics but the book, which I read first, in my teens and a decade or two before I caught Kubrick's film, was an immense read.

My overall impression of the film was less than positive.

The film is class. The book has a deeper and darker message overall though.

I like the song "drencrom velocet synthemesc" by campag velocet which is sung in Nadsat.

The film is class. The book has a deeper and darker message overall though.

I like the song "drencrom velocet synthemesc" by campag velocet which is sung in Nadsat.

I've got the book but never read it. The Nadsat language put me off. How much does it affect the reading of the book?

I've got the book but never read it. The Nadsat language put me off. How much does it affect the reading of the book?

The first time I tried to read it I gave up because of the Nadsat. there was a glossary at the back of the book so you could find out what was being talked about. I couldn't be arsed flicking back and forth but as I said after watching the film I totally understood the Nadsat. The copy I ended up reading didn't have the glossary and I didn't need it all. I just understood it.