Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Other Transfer News

Yep modric is indeed what used to be called a central midfielder before everyone had to be either defensive or attacking (i blame the americans for this polarised view entering football, it all started after usa 94). Modric for me is easily the best midfielder in england and in perspective to the inflated transfer market easily worth 35-40 mill

Yep modric is indeed what used to be called a central midfielder before everyone had to be either defensive or attacking (i blame the americans for this polarised view entering football, it all started after usa 94). Modric for me is easily the best midfielder in england and in perspective to the inflated transfer market easily worth 35-40 mill

I actually think it's a cop out when you class midfielders as one or the other. When I first heard it being used I just used to think "so he can't tackle and has no interest in running towards his own goal" or "he can't shoot or hit a long range pass, but can tackle and run about a lot".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13902298.stm

Whilst it would be nice to be given the opportunity to voice our opinions, I'm not sure if I would be impressed as the manager should be doing his job properly and know his targets?

No definitely a good idea in the lower leagues. Although not twitter, Martin Allen did a similar thing when he was at Cheltenham and was one of his few good ideas. Plenty of lower league fans are football fans first and foremost and will go watch the local non league sides rather than sit in watching the telly. One of my best friends rarely goes a night without taking in a match and I know of several others at Cheltenham who do similar. When you consider the average L2 club and most of L1 have virtually no budget for scouting and a lot use a company (I forget what it is called but I'm sure an ex-Cheltenham player is involved somewhere) to scout players. Is it too far removed to have knowledgeable fans doing the donkey work for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Villa sign Given, very astute signing in my opinion.

The Fiver's piece on Given going to Villa... have to say i agree with this and have always thought he could command his area better:

ANY GIVEN MONDAY

In his increasingly rare moments of clarity, the Fiver's drink-addled, pig-toting knobbly-stick-waving Irish cousin Theme Pub O'Fiver has a theory about Shay Given from the County Donegal. To borrow a phrase from his opinionated champagne-swilling brother in arms Eamon Dunphy, Theme Pub is prepared to concede that while Shay Given from the County Donegal is a good goalkeeper, he is not a great goalkeeper. It is a point of view that has earned poor auld Theme Pub the opprobrium and slaps of many compatriots who worship at the altar of St Shay of Given and will not hear a bad word said about the goalkeeper, who hails from the County Donegal.

What Theme Pub has noticed, albeit through half-open bloodshot eyes, is that Shay Given from the County Donegal has played behind some terrible defences in his time; terrible defences starring players who became a laughing stock when they played in front of Given, but strangely went on to resurrect their careers elsewhere, lining up in back fours that played in front of goalkeepers that conspicuously weren't Shay Given from the County Donegal. Yes, Titus Bramble the Fiver is looking at you. And you Fabricio Coloccini and Joleon Lescott ... the rest of you know who you are.

But while Given has been described by Roberto Mancini as "one of the five best goalkeepers in the world", he is not the best goalkeeper at Manchester City and has subsequently been shipped out. As is customary, no club that Jamie Redknapp would describe as "top top top top" has come in for him, so instead he has been sentenced to five years at Aston Villa for a fee believed to be in the region of £4m. It's a good bit of business for Villa, who have got themselves a goalie renowned as "a great shot-stopper", but whose ability to command his six-yard box is a mite questionable.

"Aston Villa is a huge football club and I'm really excited to be joining," said Given upon inking his contract, as you do. "I'm looking forward to training and playing with the players here. They're a good bunch of lads, very talented and I know several of them already which will help." Be afraid Richard Dunne and James Collins. Be very, very afraid. For that man in green anchored to his goalline not coming for that cross is Shay Given from the County Donegal.