Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

P&J: McGhee in move for ex-Rangers forward

McGhee in move for ex-Rangers forward

dons want pilgrims MacLEAN AND PATERSON AT PITTODRIE ON LOAN DEALS

By Paul Third

Published: 07/07/2009

Former Rangers forward Steven MacLean is wanted by Aberdeen.

Dons manager Mark McGhee has opened talks with Plymouth Argyle and wants to bring the 26-year-old to Pittodrie on a season-long loan.

MacLean joined his Plymouth team-mates for pre-season training last week, but has been told by manager Paul Sturrock he is surplus to requirements at Home Park.

MacLean, who has scored regularly in the lower leagues of English football since leaving Ibrox in 2004, has been playing just off the forward as a link-up player and is keen to return to his favoured position leading the attack.

His unhappiness has alerted new Dons manager McGhee, whose budget for new signings is limited and the chance to bring in a new forward on loan appeals.

McGhee is also in talks with Plymouth about MacLean’s team-mate Jim Paterson, who played for the new Aberdeen manager at Motherwell two years ago, also on a season’s loan.

Plymouth manager Sturrock must move players on before he can improve his squad for the new signing.

Sturrock said: “I am working very hard to get the appropriate number moved on, and for their sake as well. In an ideal world, we would move a certain number on and bring a certain number in.

“We have 30 players training, which is not ideal when you want to work on certain things for games and to get the shape of the team.

“It’s something we are trying to address as quickly as possible.â€

MacLean shot to prominence during his time at Scunthorpe while on loan from Rangers, scoring 23 goals in 42 league appearances for the club in League 2.

Despite his scoring form, he was sold by Rangers to Sheffield Wednesday for £125,000 and scored 20 goals in his first season, the first Owls player to do so since Mark Bright in 1994.

He helped his club win promotion to the Championship, but suffered a broken leg which curtailed his career at Hillsborough.

Following 33 goals in 84 games for the Yorkshire club, he left to join Cardiff City on a free transfer but struggled to command a regular place ahead of Robbie Fowler and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink.

Ruptured ligaments set him back further and resulted in only 15 appearances at the Bluebirds.

MacLean moved on in January 2008 to Argyle, who paid £500,000 for his services.

With 64 goals in 198 league games in his career in England, MacLean’s record has impressed McGhee.

The Aberdeen manager is keen to add some firepower to his forward line for the new season.

The Dons manager would like to have new faces in his squad before the team fly to Austria for their pre-season training camp on Friday.

McGhee is also planning on bringing in trialists from Europe.

He said: “I hope to have one or two players in for the training camp in Austria, and there is a high possibility they will be trialists.

“These players will not be from Scotland. They will be foreign players. I want to bring in players who will improve the starting 11 and not just the squad so I will look at every option.â€

Meanwhile, tickets for former Don Dean Windass’ testimonial match at Hull go on general sale tomorrow.

Season-tickets holders have until 5pm today to buy their tickets for the match at the KC Stadium on Sunday, August 9.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd forgotten about Steven MacLean, reckon he would be worth signing on loan. He's certainly proved he can score goals.

Agreed, his record isn't bad. Worth giving a shot to. The sooner we get our team sorted, the better. It would be nice to have a good start to the season for a change.

Has he been telling old stories singing old songs, that make him think about where comes from?

Has he moved and kept on moving and proved the points that needed proving?

Sure we'll find out in the next week or so, if he's "go-oin home"

Plymouth fans appear eager to get rid of MacLean. It appears a number of them see him as a waste of space, lacking motivation and generally having a stinking attitude.

If we get him on-loan, I'm willing to give him a chance as each and every club can be completely different circumstances for a player (see Lee Miller @ Bristol City). But I hope he does buck up his ideas.

Im not certain that scoring goals in the English 3rd division, where most of his goals have come, is an indicator that he can do it for us. The game is littered with players who score loads of goals at lower levels but cant find the net at a higher level. The, "he knows where the net is" argument doesn't wash but heres hoping.

Im not certain that scoring goals in the English 3rd division, where most of his goals have come, is an indicator that he can do it for us. The game is littered with players who score loads of goals at lower levels but cant find the net at a higher level. The, "he knows where the net is" argument doesn't wash but heres hoping.

If we're going to sign anyone from the lower leagues (a more likely scenario these days) then it's better he did score at that level than not, a la Tommy Wright.  I do appreciate your scepticism though, although I think it could be a good move there is always that doubt isn't there?

Plymouth fans appear eager to get rid of MacLean. It appears a number of them see him as a waste of space, lacking motivation and generally having a stinking attitude.

Perfect! Sign him up. He'll be great to have about the place.

• 4 months later...
Aberdeen FC launch global search for players

Manager McGhee to cast his net wide

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 20/11/2009

ABERDEEN FC’s hunt for new signings has now gone worldwide.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee today admitted he is speaking to contacts from as far afield as Australia and the USA as he bids to add a bit of extra quality to his squad in January.

Aberdeen FC are also understood to be weighing up a fresh move for striker Steven MacLean, who has been told he can now leave Plymouth Argyle on a free transfer.

For more on this story and coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

Might not be. I doubt very much if there will be interest from any other Championship clubs so we should have half a chance.

Aye but your discounting L1+ L2 clubs, who'll offer around what we can, some more some less with the added bonus of not having to move the entire length of the country.

Aye but your discounting L1+ L2 clubs, who'll offer around what we can, some more some less with the added bonus of not having to move the entire length of the country.

Although career resurrections are seldom found in lower divisions than the one you are currently in. SPL would provide a mildy better option I would have thought. In saying that, money talks in the modern game.

Although career resurrections are seldom found in lower divisions than the one you are currently in. SPL would provide a mildy better option I would have thought. In saying that, money talks in the modern game.

Thing is he's been prolific before down here, I don't think it would be out-with the realms of possibility that Charlton, Southampton, Norwich, Notts County, Yeovil, if your talking proximity, and a fair few others are having a look at the situation. He's free, if he can recapture the form of 3 seasons ago it could be the touch paper for their promotion/relegation avoidance push and gives him another chance at the big bucks available in the Championship.