Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

New Captain?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So with Seve almost definitely on his way who will take the armband for next season.

Unsurprisingly there are few options in our team, perhaps that explains the way we have crumbled under pressure situations too often in recent times.

I suppose Diamond is really the most likely option with the others included as they are the only other senior players likely to be playing every week.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zander is still developing as a player and I would rather he concentrated on his own game than having the additional distraction of being Captain. Do agree that none of the others listed jump out as having much leadership potential so would think that it will have to be something that manager looks for in one of his new signings.

Voted Kerr. I don't think the red cards are an issue, one was for gobbing off at the ref but if he had the responsibility of wearing the armband I'm sure he could control those emotions better. I always think the captain should be the one who leads by example, and Kerrs workrate and combative style will surely spur on those around him.

Diamond is one for the future I think.

Voted Kerr. I don't think the red cards are an issue, one was for gobbing off at the ref but if he had the responsibility of wearing the armband I'm sure he could control those emotions better. I always think the captain should be the one who leads by example, and Kerrs workrate and combative style will surely spur on those around him.

Was Seve not meant to lead by example?

Obviously Anderson managed that but it took him a while, did it not, to be recognised by the support as a decent captain?

Surely, Kerr mouthing off is a good thing? (stick with me here) We need a captain who isn't afraid to get right up there in the face of the referee, clearly he'll need to calm down a bit, but i'd much rather have a guy who goes over the top than someone who just doesn't seem to care (see: Severin, Scott)

Diamond is an obvious choice who i'd be happy with too, As I would also for Langfield, however i'd prefer if our captain was an outfield player, not a keeper.

So, in short: I just don't know!

has to be either zander or langfield. we need someone vocal and who can inspire the team. unlike seve who seemed a bit quiet. either o those two for me would be good. maybe zander more though because it may help having an outfield player to shout to everyone.

We should look at it from the perspective of Mark McGhee, and not from what we believe.  I think he may choose Zander Diamond or Jamie Langfield.  I think Jamie Langfield may get the nod and I wouldn't disagree as he's really turned things round at Aberdeen and is one of our most important players.

A captain is someone who needs to be an example on and off the field.  We are really short of any candidates.  Although Zander gives his all on the field for Aberdeen, I for one do not want to have a captain who's Celtic shirt hangs out the back of is jacket while he walks down union street. 

It's a tough one because of the lack of candidates. Langfield's an option but I'm one of those who would rather a keeper not be our captain. If we want someone to lead by example on and off the pitch then we need to try and re-sign Russell because I don't think we've got anyone like that in our ranks.

Langfield had his infamous bust up with Jimmy last year and doesn't even remember it so that would rule him out. Kerr got his face broken fighting in a night club and Zander has been known to get into altercations also although he'd be my choice for captain.

I know that beggars can't be choosers but I'd also prefer the captaincy to go to a new signing. I'd prefer a player to get to know the team, the city, the players and staff before he was appointed captain.

I's like to see McDonald as skipper, everything good last season happened when he was involved. He seems to make things happen and have a hunger. This makes him the best man to inspire his buddies IMO. If not him I'd have zander but I'd prefer skipper in the middle. He's what we want to see in our team and seems to be very mature for our squad.

I's like to see McDonald as skipper, everything good last season happened when he was involved. He seems to make things happen and have a hunger. This makes him the best man to inspire his buddies IMO. If not him I'd have zander but I'd prefer skipper in the middle. He's what we want to see in our team and seems to be very mature for our squad.

Aye, McDonalds a decent shout, i'd be happy were he to get the armband. I can't see it getting decided really until after pre-season when McGhee knows the squad a bit better.

If by "play" you mean defend I agree with you. Maybe moving him to left midfield is part of the plan.

He's a very poor passer of the ball as well though, and for some reason whenever he actually (by some miracle) beats a player his ability to cross vanishes. The only skill he really has is the ability to hit a free kick, if he didn't have that he would be playing in the first division.

Word on the street is that Mark McGhee doesn't think Alexander Diamond is mature enough for the role of captain.

The word on the street is pretty obvious then.

Just as obvious though is the lack of genuine candidates. Can only pish wi the cock you've got.

I would, much like BB, have backed Kerr but his recent record is appalling.

Word on the street is that Mark McGhee doesn't think Alexander Diamond is mature enough for the role of captain.

Could well be the making of him though. At times I didn't think Severin was very mature in the way he conducted himself on the pitch - a lot of mumping and moaning much akin to that of a 3 year old who's not getting ice cream after dinner, so I'd be willing to give Zander a shot at it.  If he doesn't get it then it may well have a rather negative impact on his morale.