Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New Captain?

[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/scottish-football/spl/aberdeen-fc/2009/07/19/1860-munich-1-aberdeen-0-78057-21532024/

GARY McDONALD is the surprise front-runner to be Aberdeen captain after he was given the armband in Mark McGhee's first game in charge. The midfielder led Dons out yesterday but couldn't mark the occasion with victory against German side 1860 Munich.

The former Kilmarnock and Oldham man was thrilled to get the nod but admits he had never captained a first team before.

Gary said: "I was delighted to be captain. The manager pulled me aside and said he wanted me to do it.

"He wants to try a few different things but I enjoyed it.

"I hadn't really thought about it - I was just focusing on my fitness because it's been a hard pre-season.

"It's been a long time since I've been a captain. I've never done it in a first team, just for the reserves at Kilmarnock.

"I'd like to think I have the right attributes. The manager obviously sees something in me but I won't take it for granted.

"I just tried to play my normal game. Who knows if I've done enough to convince him I should keep it."

McGhee refused to confirm McDonald would start the season as skipper but was pleased with his reaction to the extra responsibility.

He said: "We've got to learn whether Gary's comfortable with it and how the other lads feel about it. We need to see if he can cope and he did today.

"He looks like a captain and is up for it. We'll make the final decision next week."

Gary is thrilled to be Aberdeen FC skipper

McDonald flattered to get armband

By Charlie Allan :wave:

Published: 20/07/2009

GARY McDonald will be confirmed as Aberdeen FC's new club captain this week.

Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee handed the 27-year-old the armband in their 1-0 friendly defeat by 1860 Munich in Austria.

McGhee is expected to wait until the weekend before confirming former Kilmarnock midfielder McDonald as the successor to Scott Severin.

For more on this story and coverage of Aberdeen FC, pick up a copy of today's Evening Express.

Pretty pleased with that, I do wonder if Zander will be rather pissed off about it though.

Not who I picked to be captain, but i'm not i'm not unhappy if this does turn out to be the case. As you say though, it does make you wonder what Zander thinks, surely he must be vice?

"Gary McDonald will not be confirmed as captain this week. I said all along that it would be confirmed before the Celtic game. Gary McDonald is one of the players in contention, he got the band on Saturday, someone else will get it tomorrow night.

I'd still have langfield as a strong candidate.

Although saying that if i was diamond i would be very very disappointed not to be named captain should the armband go to someone else

YEs, but gives Zander time to concentrate on his game and to aim to be the next McLeish....he had to wait for it too

That being the case I suspect so.

I kinda agree with Padre, let the big lad get his form back. McDonald seems a decent choice.

I'm increasingly thinking the same, although I have to say I never saw that coming from last season. I have a niggling worry that it knocks ZD's spirit a little....we don't need that for fucking sure.

I'm increasingly thinking the same, although I have to say I never saw that coming from last season. I have a niggling worry that it knocks ZD's spirit a little....we don't need that for fucking sure.

Aye, lot to be said for that, maybe giving him the captaincy would be his making, maybe not. McDonald seems articulate enough both on and off the park and may very well be the brains of the outfit now Smith is away.

I always had doubts about Zander as a captain but I thought Kerr would have been a good choice! Right now either one would be ok by me.

That's my only concern. I'd be happy for either Zander or McDonald to captain us but slightly worried at Zander maybe becoming a bit disillusioned at it all.