Friday 14th June 2024

Euro 2024 - 🇩🇪 Germany v 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scotland - kick-off 8pm

New stadium thread

Is it not the case that it's not an option because the people in power don't want it to be.

If you're talking with regards to the council, then yes, AFC, probably. But I think primarily we were/are constrained spatialy as there isn't much land available in and around Pittodrie for what needs to be realised. I think the council were also hesitant on closing down the streets surrounding the stadium. It's a shame, but it's the right decision to move.

If you're talking with regards to the council, then yes, AFC, probably. But I think primarily we were/are constrained spatialy as there isn't much land available in and around Pittodrie for what needs to be realised. I think the council were also hesitant on closing down the streets surrounding the stadium. It's a shame, but it's the right decision to move.

Says the spokesman for the society of architects  ::)

At the AGM they said it would cost the same to redevelop Pittodrie properly as it would to build a new stadium but with the added problems of not having the proceeds of the sale of Pittodrie and having to find somewhere to play while they knock down the old girl.

Starting with a blank canvas is much better in my opinion, it would have been ideal if we were able to do what Hibs did and upgrade a section at the time if we'd purchased the old timber yard and gasworks so we could have expanded out the Merkland and South Stands but that option is gone and there's not much else we could do with it now.

At the AGM they said it would cost the same to redevelop Pittodrie properly as it would to build a new stadium but with the added problems of not having the proceeds of the sale of Pittodrie and having to find somewhere to play while they knock down the old girl.

Starting with a blank canvas is much better in my opinion, it would have been ideal if we were able to do what Hibs did and upgrade a section at the time if we'd purchased the old timber yard and gasworks so we could have expanded out the Merkland and South Stands but that option is gone and there's not much else we could do with it now.

I meant to put that bit in too. As you say, blank canvas is the best option I think. Hopefully they manage to pull it off sooner rather than later. Onwards and upwards.

So no other football club has ever rebuilt a stadium in situ?

Theres building in-situ when theres lots of space and then theres the reason most clubs move to a new stadium ie their stadium is completely surrounded by houses or businesses

Portsmouth had this grand plan to redevelop fratton park ensuring that the capacity never dropped below 20000 at any point. Then they added up the costs and looked at the logistics of doing so and said fuck that.

There is also that little issue that is so fucking irritatingly left out by so many people. Fully rebuilding pittodrie to current UEFA standards will result in a reduced capacity of between 10-15000.

we go from the 4th largest club stadium to potentially the 10th.

PS

Manc Don is not an architect yet so cannot speak for our society  :thumbsup:

Theres building in-situ when theres lots of space and then theres the reason most clubs move to a new stadium ie their stadium is completely surrounded by houses or businesses

There is also that little issue that is so fucking irritatingly left out by so many people. Fully rebuilding pittodrie to current UEFA standards will result in a reduced capacity of between 10-15000.

we go from the 4th largest club stadium to potentially the 10th.

Maybe I'm not as aware of all the details as some are about the background to the Pittodrie relocation plan but I believe that West Brom, Newcastle and Man Utd extended their grounds on virtually the same footprint as the original stadium and the capacity was increased. There may be others. Although Leicester, Coventry and Derby moved to new grounds they weren't out in the sticks with non-existent transport links.

Am I alone in thinking it will be sad when Pittodrie goes. Seems that it is being written off too easily.

Has everyone forgotten about the fire in the early 70s. It was rebuilt then.

Again Man united, west brom and Newcastle all had lots of space.

However Man u and newcastle are now both stuck with their current capacities because of their surroundings. Man united cant agree with the railway companies so cant extend their main stand. They also have a canal to contend with

Newcastle cant get past the listed terrace behind their other stand so do actually have plans for a new stadium if demand for tickets really got out of hand (unlikely now)

Westbrom have a main road coming off the M6 behind one of their goals so will be hampered by that should they ever feel the need to extend that section.

Alot of things were built in the 1970s but they dont let you build exact copies today. if they did asbestos would still be a material of choice and fire safety or stadium crushes wouldnt be considered an issue. Please understand that building new stadiums or stands require new building regulations which were not a factor when most of pittodrie was built. Why do you think there is such a massive concourse behind the RDS but not behind the other stands?

Alot of things were built in the 1970s but they dont let you build exact copies today. if they did asbestos would still be a material of choice and fire safety or stadium crushes wouldnt be considered an issue. Please understand that building new stadiums or stands require new building regulations which were not a factor when most of pittodrie was built.

Thanks for your explanation, although I still can't get to grips with a new stadium which to me seems to be sited in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I'm just stuck in the past