Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

They'd still have problems of getting licences for anything outwith the stadium wouldn't they?  Can't see the authorities being too enamoured with the club actively encouraging folk to drink for hours before a match...you know how they see these things.

Aye, you could see Grampian's finish sticking an oar in there.. Ironically the pre-match boozing would be easier to police, as all the fans were together in one place & not spread about town..

licence wise - it doesn't need to be all day - I could just open 3/4h before KO - that would probably be enough?

revenue wise - all you need is a couple of thousand fan to have a pint each - for a 'stadium' style basic no frills bar, I reckon you'd see a profit before the season is out. AFC would have to remain in control of it though.

Looks pretty good, be more confident about it once the finances are sorted out though.

Killie have a sports bar at the ground as well as catering for folk wanting a drink at the Park Hotel.

Whilst it can be busy enough on match days it does nothing the other six days of the week, and it is surrounded by houses. You would really struggle to get any use out of it outwith matchdays, unless they built it so that it could be utilsed for functions. Need to be creative there with discounts upon hire ( or better still free ) for season ticket holders or the likes.

Hope they don't put in pishy T Lager or Carling if they have a license.

Looks pretty good, be more confident about it once the finances are sorted out though.

Killie have a sports bar at the ground as well as catering for folk wanting a drink at the Park Hotel.

Whilst it can be busy enough on match days it does nothing the other six days of the week, and it is surrounded by houses. You would really struggle to get any use out of it outwith matchdays, unless they built it so that it could be utilsed for functions. Need to be creative there with discounts upon hire ( or better still free ) for season ticket holders or the likes.

Hope they don't put in pishy T Lager or Carling if they have a license.

Yea, available to hire or something. Even if they get one booking a month it's still money for nothing.

I hope we build these facilities and utilise them - they're all potential money spinners and given the state of the game, it's something we and other clubs should be looking at.

If they are building a bar they should push for alcohol to be allowed inside the stadium which would really boost profits.

Not a hope in hell lad.

In case you hadn't noticed the Scottish Executive have got a bee in their bonnet about our drinking culture at present. Not going to reverse the ban on sale of alcohol in football grounds :(

Nice to see the important things are being discussed

Im more concerned about the actual arena part. I wont be pleased if we end up with bad views, and no legroom (Darlingtons new ground springs to mind). But since thats a warrant issue I very much doubt we will see many drawings for that posted on the website.

would it really be worth it for the club to do this though? Cost of building and furnishing it, cost of staffing, cost of rates/heating/lighting, cost of goods to sell... and it'll only be open once every two weeks on average, and shut during the whole of the summer.

The Broadhill manages to get by on this perfectly well!!

Nice to see the important things are being discussed

Bringing more money into AFC isn't important?  Given our financial predicament we're a baw hair away from Stewarty Milne going round the South Stand trying to sell a team card (£1 a shot, winner £20, £20 to the club) , these things shouldn't be dismissed Tom, even if you are a tee-totaller.

Bringing more money into AFC isn't important?  Given our financial predicament we're a baw hair away from Stewarty Milne going round the South Stand trying to sell a team card (£1 a shot, winner £20, £20 to the club) , these things shouldn't be dismissed Tom, even if you are a tee-totaller.

Yep, this seems to be about money rather than worrying about where I can get a beer before the game.

Aye Penfold you're probably right. I can't help but feel the club could make more money if they handled everything like catering, hospitality and club shops themselves.

Aye I know but only because they gave the responsibility to someone else. It's the same idea though.

Price freeze this year min. ;)

For the club to even consider throwing in ideas for extra bars etc around the stadium would be a potential planning disaster. Get the planning permission for the stadium through first and then worry about how pissed your fans can get. AFC start throwing ideas for anything other than this stadium at this moment and suddenly this project will grow legs and extra opposition can arise where it was previously dismissed. The local planning committee start asking questions, couple of well to do people who are 'friends of a counciler' get in with the local residents who then form a protest group concerned about drunk football fans hanging around well after the game has finished IE anti social behaviour. The upshot of this is even though the planning application is just for the stadium complex it is delayed or the club and designers have to start chopping and changing things at extra expense just incase they think about trying to build a pub or little retail park nearby. (incase you are wondering this is happening to one of our clients on a smaller scale at the moment and all it took was one person starting a rumour in a pub).

I do get the impression some people think everyone will happily pay a surcharge on a pint so long as its going to AFC. Are these the same people who openly boast about blagging concession season tickets or complain about the prices in the club shop?

You watch. If theres any opportunists with a bit of cash ill bet there will be a number of planning applications for extensions to local bars/ hotels or for a couple of wetherspoons in the immediete vicinity of the stadium the moment constructon starts. And ill lay a bet those bars will make far more money than the stadiums bar because the pints will be cheaper

For the club to even consider throwing in ideas for extra bars etc around the stadium would be a potential planning disaster. Get the planning permission for the stadium through first and then worry about how pissed your fans can get. AFC start throwing ideas for anything other than this stadium at this moment and suddenly this project will grow legs and extra opposition can arise where it was previously dismissed. The local planning committee start asking questions, couple of well to do people who are 'friends of a counciler' get in with the local residents who then form a protest group concerned about drunk football fans hanging around well after the game has finished IE anti social behaviour. The upshot of this is even though the planning application is just for the stadium complex it is delayed or the club and designers have to start chopping and changing things at extra expense just incase they think about trying to build a pub or little retail park nearby. (incase you are wondering this is happening to one of our clients on a smaller scale at the moment and all it took was one person starting a rumour in a pub).

As was said, we're only talking about what AFC could do to raise funds.  We're not saying because we specifically want it (I've been pointing out reasons why it'd be a disaster if you care to notice) and I'd imagine GD would have plenty scope to get blazing on the journey up if he is so inclined. 

As was said, we're only talking about what AFC could do to raise funds.  We're not saying because we specifically want it (I've been pointing out reasons why it'd be a disaster if you care to notice) and I'd imagine GD would have plenty scope to get blazing on the journey up if he is so inclined.

A dozen or so pish heads on a train north isn't the point though.

4 thousand huns/tims and the home fans are the big money we should be hoping to attract, as well as getting more away fans from the other clubs. There is money there that is disappearing into the plethora of very bad boozers pre-match that could go straight to the club. All well and good, but the direct consequence of that is money NOT going to those businesses will close some of them.

There is a big opportunity here.

Better idea for the club to make cash without the hassle of running pubs.

The old tesco/ Disney trick. Start buying plots of land in the immediete vicinity of the new stadium and then lease those plots to whatever business wants to build on them. Anyone you dont want building there hasnt got a chance and anyone who does will provide a steady income. Can also be a big pay off should Cove continue to extend and barrats or miller want to build flats or a certain supermarket decide to come a calling.

A dozen or so pish heads on a train north isn't the point though.

4 thousand huns/tims and the home fans are the big money we should be hoping to attract, as well as getting more away fans from the other clubs. There is money there that is disappearing into the plethora of very bad boozers pre-match that could go straight to the club. All well and good, but the direct consequence of that is money NOT going to those businesses will close some of them.

There is a big opportunity here.

Didn't say it was buddy

Better idea for the club to make cash without the hassle of running pubs.

The old tesco/ Disney trick. Start buying plots of land in the immediete vicinity of the new stadium and then lease those plots to whatever business wants to build on them. Anyone you dont want building there hasnt got a chance and anyone who does will provide a steady income. Can also be a big pay off should Cove continue to extend and barrats or miller want to build flats or a certain supermarket decide to come a calling.

Is it not a better idea for the club to make money without the running of buying plots of land to lease to businesses?  You're mental if you believe that's a regular, guaranteed income stream.

Is it not a better idea for the club to make money without the running of buying plots of land to lease to businesses?  You're mental if you believe that's a regular, guaranteed income stream.

it is no more mental than the suggestion of building a selection of pubs that will only be open for match days and possibly rented out on the odd occasion. A licensing nightmare and also a logistical headache (new commercial development = new car parking, servicing, feasibility studies, police intervention regarding segregation of supporters, local transport links, public consultations.

If we own it and Cove continues to extend (which it will) then the club suddenly have prime real estate to sell or lease. And then it is up to those wanting to build to show how the land can be developed.

it is no more mental than the suggestion of building a selection of pubs that will only be open for match days and possibly rented out on the odd occasion. A licensing nightmare and also a logistical headache (new commercial development = new car parking, servicing, feasibility studies, police intervention regarding segregation of supporters, local transport links, public consultations.

If we own it and Cove continues to extend (which it will) then the club suddenly have prime real estate to sell or lease. And then it is up to those wanting to build to show how the land can be developed.

How many years will that take then?

How many years will that take then?

That and how much.

Just making a good quality job of what is proposed will do me. No pishy stands like Hibs, good views all round (Tattie Bowl), decent boozer pre-match, it turns out remotely like projected (Tynecastle, LOL!), decent all year playing surface, training facilities, multiple use options, it doesn't look like a fucking cheap shitehole, I'll be happy.

There is no chance in hell that the Club will be able to buy all the land surrounding the ground, i'm willing to bet that it's all snapped up by the Stewart Milne Group, so that they (and not us) make a tidy profit from it.

I do hope i'm wrong, but if it does happen, it'll happen that way.