Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

Cos there will be nae be sufficient transport to get there

they've already said that transport will be available from the City Centre. And if the next argument is "How do folk get into the city centre?" then I'd suggest those folk aren't really bothered about supporting the Dons anyway, know what I'm saying?

Stands to reason people will object to such a large development on their doorstep. These same people would probably be bitching and moaning if they were to build it down the beach and the Seaton locals were objecting.

NIMBY-ism will always be around. The worrying thing is it is now been taken to another level with recent cases such as the school in england having to stagger its breaktimes and ban all hard-ball games from the playground because local residents complained about noise levels. Another school has had to install a soundproof fence.

Or the Golf Course (think it was cardross) who had to move its 18th hole after a housing development was built nearby and the new residents (who knew fine well there was a Golf course next to them when they bought it) took them to court over fears of damage to their property and fucking won?

These are the same cunts who move to the coast then demand all seagulls are killed or to next to a farm and demand the cockeral be put down because they wake them up in the morning.

Probably the only reason the residents of the flats surrounding pittodrie havent tried something like that is because they place is dead.

They've said there will be enough transport laid on to ferry about 4500 people to the ground between 1pm and 3pm.

I don't see - "well we dinna get that much anyway" as an excuse for this. We should be aiming for sell outs every match. Anything else is defeatist. Look at AZ Alkmaar as a model - strive for better.

p.s. I think it's pretty obvious most folk aren't interested in supporting the Dons - even the past die hards - it's understandable

Yeah we should aim for sell outs every match. But the club can't answer for the arseholes who won't go just because it's now a few miles out the city.  You either want to go the games or your don't.  If you don't, just be honest about it.  If people really want to get there, they'll get there. Let's stop pretending there's some big ask on these people when so many people go through so much more EVERY SATURDAY to see the team.

• 2 months later...
It’s all systems go for new £40m stadium, says Milne

Published: 21/12/2010

Aberdeen chairman Stewart Milne is determined the £40million development of the new stadium at Loirston and purpose-built football academy will not be threatened if the Dons are relegated from the SPL this season.

Despite the disasters of this season – bottom of the league and with another management team paid off – Milne escaped largely unscathed from last night's annual meeting at Pittodrie. Re-elected to the board of directors during a largely trouble-free 66-minute get-together, the housebuilder emphasised his commitment to having the team in a new home in little more than three years.

It could be one of his final acts as chairman of the football club and he said: “It is one of the things I would like to see in place before I leave the club. We have a specific target to have the new stadium in place by the summer of 2013 and it will be a huge focus for us in the next couple of years.

“We are not focusing on the threat of relegation and, with the new management team of Craig Brown and Archie Knox in place, we are confident we will start to move up the league.

“The new stadium is a massive challenge for us but we do not have the option of sitting back and doing nothing. We have been stretching the stadium for years. We do not have answers about where every single penny is going to come from but we have identified most of the avenues we will be working hard on in the next year or so.

“There can never be guarantees, all we can do is explore every single avenue, working on these areas we believe we can generate funds. We are focused on trying to achieve this."

Dissenting voices from the floor did question the move away from Pittodrie but they cut no ice with the chairman, who said: “This is going to mean substantial additions to everyone's work load and is going to put everyone under immense pressure.

“There are some people who would like to stay at Pittodrie. We can understand their feelings given the history of the club and the current ties with this ground. The reality is it is simply not possible.

“Pittodrie has a very limited shelf life and, ideally, we should have moved several years ago. It is a major burden for the club in terms of running costs. We did consider redevelopment, we start with a very limited footprint of space and to meet the standards required we would end up with a capacity of around 12,000. The costs of redevelopment would be very close to those of building a new stadium at Loirston.

“The process would have to go on over a three or four-year period and that would cause major disruption to everyone, the team, supporters and our neighbours.

“To end up with a stadium like this would not be viable."

The mechanics of the move are in place. Stadium building tenders are out and Milne added: “We hope to get planning consent from the council in February. It will then be called in by the Scottish Office and we would hope for a decision before the break-up of parliament next year, around April.

“We then will go on to the contractor work and the aim would be to have all the funding in place by the first quarter of 2012 with a view to starting the project in the second part of 2012 to have the stadium ready to play in for season 2013-14.

“The estimated cost of the stadium is around £35million and the main funding areas are the sale of Pittodrie, a share issue and a long-term mortgage on the new stadium. We would see that raising £20 million. There are other areas, naming right, rental, development money from the other areas and some other things we are working on in the background. Between all of them we can bring in £15million.

“The soccer academy will be £4million and we are looking at alternative ways of raising that money and, by the middle of 2011, we hope to be able to say we can fund that. I can assure no one is under-estimating the scale of the challenge of putting this together and securing the funding for it, especially in the economic conditions prevailing and likely to be prevailing for the next few years.

“That is the challenge we have got. We have to square up to it and there is no option of sitting back and doing nothing."

Despite the Dons planning to spend on the squad when the January transfer window opens, Milne assured shareholders there will be money for Brown to spend and said: "It will in no way affect the funding of the football operation."

The new stadium plans are obviously gathering momentum and it will eventually happen at some point.

I hope consideration is being given to car parking, as unlike Pittodrie, it will be difficult to access by public transport. What will happen if you turn up and the car park is full? Very few back streets to park in there I would say. I'm sure this will have been fully considered by the planners as always....... maybe?

Why is the training academy costed separetly?  If the club is hell bent on using youth as a form of revenue stream al la Hivs and saving cash on transfers then surelly the training facilities are AS IMPORTANT as the stadium?  I reckon it will be the first to go if costs escalate as they are likey to do on such a large project.

Imagine trying to persuade a boys parents to chosse between us with a dog shit filled cooncil park and the huns with murray park.

Why is the training academy costed separetly?  If the club is hell benty on using youth as a form of revenue stream al la Hivs and saving cash on transfers then surelly the training facilities are AS IMPORTANT as the stadium?  I reckon it will be the first to go if costs escalate as they are likey to do on such a large project.

Imagine trying to persuade a boys parents to chosse between us with a dog shit filled cooncil park and the huns with murray park.

My guess was that was why it was being costed separately, to act as statement of the clubs intent. I could be/am probably wrong about that. Is the soccer academy not shared with Cove anyway?

If we are so intent on Youth being the future (which I agree with 100%) can't we build the Youth Academy before the stadium.

I'm no venture capitalist (I do collaborate with many in my job in the city though) but i'm pretty sure it'd be easier to raise £4million to build the Academy than it is to raise £35million to build the ground?

If we are so intent on Youth being the future (which I agree with 100%) can't we build the Youth Academy before the stadium.

I'm no venture capitalist (I do collaborate with many in my job in the city though) but i'm pretty sure it'd be easier to raise £4million to build the Academy than it is to raise £35million to build the ground?

:lolabove:

thing is, how many season tickets would you imagine we could sell for the stadiums first full season?

im sure itll delight the glasgow based dons to know that ill be getting my first season ticket when its built. (not just because its a new stadium, but because the timing ties in with my long term life plan too!)

id say that a brand new stadium would inspire a damn sight more fans to get one too?

thing is, how many season tickets would you imagine we could sell for the stadiums first full season?

im sure itll delight the glasgow based dons to know that ill be getting my first season ticket when its built. (not just because its a new stadium, but because the timing ties in with my long term life plan too!)

id say that a brand new stadium would inspire a damn sight more fans to get one too?

Normally I'd agree about the new stadium factor but I think it will really depend on where we are I.e spl or div 1, and what the product on the park is like. Half the fans probably still don't think it will be built. I'm hoping there will be some optimism surrounding the new stadium but I think quite a few fans have given up.

Normally I'd agree about the new stadium factor but I think it will really depend on where we are I.e spl or div 1, and what the product on the park is like. Half the fans probably still don't think it will be built. I'm hoping there will be some optimism surrounding the new stadium but I think quite a few fans have given up.

I'm with you on this, I'd be much happier getting to see all those new interesting teams from SPL2 than the same old teams we normally play ;)

The plan is for myself, sons and grandsons to get season tickets when the stadium is built at Loirston. I've never had one, and only one of my son's has.

Mind you the main reason is because I can see the Loch fae my backie!

I can understand why folk in Bridge of Don or Mastrick might want it built elsewhere or even just rebuild on the existing Pittodrie site, but it's clear from what the Board say that this isn't going to happen.

Some fans just need to realise that Pittodrie isn't going to be redeveloped. There isn't an option for building within the city. If there was I'm sure it was looked at and persued. And that the new stadium is going to be built at Loirston.

Deal with this fact. Accept it and support your team wherever they are playing. Put mumbling and grumbling aside and just get behind the team now and when they move.

The plan is for myself, sons and grandsons to get season tickets when the stadium is built at Loirston. I've never had one, and only one of my son's has.

Mind you the main reason is because I can see the Loch fae my backie!

I can understand why folk in Bridge of Don or Mastrick might want it built elsewhere or even just rebuild on the existing Pittodrie site, but it's clear from what the Board say that this isn't going to happen.

True I'd be coming in from the North of the city, Pittodrie is obviously easier for me to get to atm but if they say a bypass can be built than this new site will be just the same if not better than Pittodrie to get too. Pittodrie maybe has good memories for some I only really have a couple maybe its time to move on from there and possibly see a succesful side in a fantastic new arena.