Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

There is no chance in hell that the Club will be able to buy all the land surrounding the ground, i'm willing to bet that it's all snapped up by the Stewart Milne Group, so that they (and not us) make a tidy profit from it.

I do hope i'm wrong, but if it does happen, it'll happen that way.

This man knows the truth.

I'm with tom on this one, but that is rather logical and idealistic view. The reality is sadly what dave has said. Stewart Milne is not a daft man, he'll probably have folk working on the ideas now.

Not too sure if i'm hot on how most of the stadium looks from ground level, looks like a warehouse, but maybe thats just me.

A dozen or so pish heads on a train north isn't the point though.

4 thousand huns/tims and the home fans are the big money we should be hoping to attract, as well as getting more away fans from the other clubs. There is money there that is disappearing into the plethora of very bad boozers pre-match that could go straight to the club. All well and good, but the direct consequence of that is money NOT going to those businesses will close some of them.

There is a big opportunity here.

I don't know what they are doing about away supporters.

I took it that the "Supporters Bar" was for home support only.  It's asking for trouble if they are going to use it for both sets of fans.  So they'll need to lay on something for away support or Cove will be getting raped and pillaged by the Orks.

Haw BB, I resent that implication! ;-)

People are going to drink before games, if we can make some money because of that then why not?

Shearer's Bar at St James Park is a good example, both sets of fans seem to get in and haven't seen any bother at all. I'd cite that as an example of how it could work if I was trying to get planning. I'm sure there are others but that's the biggest one I have first hand experience of.

With respect to "blagging" concession season tickets, not sure what the problem is there. If I couldn't afford a full price season ticket but knew a student that had no interest in football then the club would have made money they otherwise would never see.

It happens often enough that the club are surely aware of it and have no problem with it. Bums on seats and a higher number of people in the ground puts the club in a better position for negotiating sponsorship and pitchside advertising etc.

Haw BB, I resent that implication! ;-)

People are going to drink before games, if we can make some money because of that then why not?

Shearer's Bar at St James Park is a good example, both sets of fans seem to get in and haven't seen any bother at all. I'd cite that as an example of how it could work if I was trying to get planning. I'm sure there are others but that's the biggest one I have first hand experience of.

With respect to "blagging" concession season tickets, not sure what the problem is there. If I couldn't afford a full price season ticket but knew a student that had no interest in football then the club would have made money they otherwise would never see.

It happens often enough that the club are surely aware of it and have no problem with it. Bums on seats and a higher number of people in the ground puts the club in a better position for negotiating sponsorship and pitchside advertising etc.

Completely agree. That was my situation this year. No hope of affording a full price one just I just wouldn't have renewed but I got one because I got it at student price. AFC £180 up rather than £0

Rod Stewart ‘would love to play new Aberdeen FC stadium’

Stars could be tempted by £38 million venue

Published: 13/08/2010

ABERDEEN’S planned new stadium could tempt music legend Rod Stewart back to the city, it was claimed today.

As exclusively revealed in yesterday’s Evening Express, Aberdeen FC have lodged plans for a £38 million state-of-the-art arena.

And today Les Kidger of CK Events, who helped bring football fanatic Rod to Inverness’ Caledonian Stadium this summer, said: “I think Rod, as a football fan, would love to play the first show at a stunning new stadium.”

English twat.

Completely agree. That was my situation this year. No hope of affording a full price one just I just wouldn't have renewed but I got one because I got it at student price. AFC £180 up rather than £0

Or if you look at it another way if you go to 18 home games its AFC down £126

Are you saying you wouldnt go to any games if you didnt buy a season ticket? If you went to just 9 as a full paying adult the club would be up £198

My problem was not with people taking advantage of the clubs lack of effort in trying to police the concession malarky. My problem is with the utopian suggestion that fans will happily pay extra for anything (in this case alcohol at a pub near the stadium) if it meant it helped fund the club to bigger and better things. The student season ticket game is a classic example that when it comes down to it, everyone will take advantage of a situation if it means saving themselves money (me included).

Are you saying you wouldnt go to any games if you didnt buy a season ticket? If you went to just 9 as a full paying adult the club would be up £198

My problem was not with people taking advantage of the clubs lack of effort in trying to police the concession malarky. My problem is with the utopian suggestion that fans will happily pay extra for anything (in this case alcohol at a pub near the stadium) if it meant it helped fund the club to bigger and better things. The student season ticket game is a classic example that when it comes down to it, everyone will take advantage of a situation if it means saving themselves money (me included).

If the club got the proceeds from bars near the ground, I would drink there rather than somewhere else in town or whatever. If I have two options for doing the exact same thing (drinking) but one of them gives the club money then it's an easy choice.

With season tickets, the choice is pay more or pay less (I've a year left on mine anyway) and as you say, people will always pay less if they can.

Not sure the two situations are comparable to be honest.

Its a lot easier to find an extra 50p on matchday to buy a more expensive pint than it is to come up with an extra £140 at the start of the season.

I'm sure if the pint in Miller's bar costs twice the price of one in the Wetherspoons next door nobody would use it, but a small suppliment on it would be fine by me.

The point here being there is NOTHING else as an alternative around the stadium, which the club can use to their advantage by charging a wee bit more for a pint, and yes, I would use an ST more and attend more games than if I did't have one.

Think ive found a lid to this student season ticket pandoras box so perhaps the mods can open up a seperate thread fo that argument before it consumes the new stadium agreement.

Having a scootch at the detailed plans and sections at the moment and I see one of the corners is simply classed as 'future development - Lettable space' Whoever gets that office will have a nice view of the pitch on match days (cant help thinking of Kilbowie park).

Capacity is split thus:

North stand - 6600

East & West Stands - 4402 each

South Stand - 5135 with a double deck of exec boxes at the back.

Im not sure if these include the corners.

Dont seem to be any mention of video screens or scoreboards so I presume unlike Ibrox all four corners will have windows etc.

I presume away fans will be put behind the goal with both corner areas closed off for visits of the old firm. Just wonder if the other teams away fans will be put next to the exec stand or closer to our new 'north bank'? Plus I like the way the roof slopes down to the pitch and extends at least 3m past the front row. Noise will be channelled towards the pitch as opposed to the heavens and little or no chance situations such as that Brondby friendly a few years back.

Im not too sure about this 'memorial' garden though

http://planning.aberdeencity.gov.uk/docs/planningdocuments.asp?appnumber=101299

http://planning.aberdeencity.gov.uk/docs/planningdocuments.asp?appnumber=101299

Dont seem to be any mention of video screens or scoreboards so I presume unlike Ibrox all four corners will have windows etc.

I presume away fans will be put behind the goal with both corner areas closed off for visits of the old firm. Just wonder if the other teams away fans will be put next to the exec stand or closer to our new 'north bank'?

Cheers for the link  :thumbsup:

Interesting to see the plans in detail.  I note the Supporter's bar will be a capacity of 500, wonder how they will work out who gets in or will it be first come first served?

Also if you look at the plans in details there will be TV screens in two of the corners and the away fans will be in the South end of the East Stand.

The South stand looks like it will be really well kitted out with 26 exec boxes as well as two legends bars/hospitality areas and various other function suites.  The Shop and Ticket Office will be separate, unlike now where you have to fight your way past queues of folk trying to get tickets to get into the shop and the Museum will be on the first floor above this along with a Starbucks.

Will also be room for expansion of these facilities etc if we ever need them.

Also good to see the Away team dressing room is a good bit smaller and that we have a "warm up area" incorporated.  Presumably at the moment any indoor warm up involves running up the corridor.

The memorial Garden looks a bit contrived but will feature the granite facing from the Merkland Road Stand.

All very interesting, now to find some money to build the fucking thing.

• 1 month later...

Just to say the period for public representations expired on the 9th. Being cynical Im presuming Aberdeen city council  much like edinburgh do not publish these representations (cant believe there havent been comments/ objections) so we will have to wait and see what the press (or donstalk contacts) dig up.

Not holding my breath for a quick decision considering we have been waiting 3months for another council's planning dept to make a decision on a small shop extension because of one councilor using his 'friends' in other departments to delay the planning officer. No doubt there will be other people who have friends within Aberdeen city council who want the land for something else.

Guest leith_red

Just to say the period for public representations expired on the 9th. Being cynical Im presuming Aberdeen city council  much like edinburgh do not publish these representations (cant believe there havent been comments/ objections) so we will have to wait and see what the press (or donstalk contacts) dig up.

Not holding my breath for a quick decision considering we have been waiting 3months for another council's planning dept to make a decision on a small shop extension because of one councilor using his 'friends' in other departments to delay the planning officer. No doubt there will be other people who have friends within Aberdeen city council who want the land for something else.

I think that they have to publish the representations, but that they don't have to do so until the final decision on the application has been made.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1942786?UserKey=

Hearing to be held into stadium plans - Dons’ £38million Loirston Loch development attracts 150 objections

A PUBLIC hearing is to be held to consider Aberdeen Football Club’s plans for a new stadium after 150 objections were lodged against the project.

Aberdeen City Council has confirmed that a special meeting will be arranged to discuss concerns about the £38million development proposed at Loirston Loch.

Objections from residents in the south of the city are believed to focus on the scale of the proposed 21,000-seat arena, as well as its impact on nearby roads and the natural habitat of a number of species.

The Scottish Premier League side earmarked the council-owned site at Nigg as its preferred location for a new home to replace century-old Pittodrie Stadium after a feasibility study found it was the most suitable available area in the city.

Nigg Community Council chairman Alan Strachan said: “It is basically the wrong place. It is on the green belt and it goes against the council’s policy on green spaces.

“Without a doubt, the community are united in opposing it. There is just disgust that the site has been suggested for a new stadium.

“We would welcome plans to hold a hearing.”

The city’s next local plan, a draft of which is currently out for public consultation, proposes rezoning the green-belt site at Loirston to pave the way for a community stadium there.

There are also early proposals by the Muir Group to build up to 2,000 homes, a school and a hotel on an adjacent site at Loirston, although this is separate from the club’s application.

The local authority still has to set a date for the hearing into the stadium plans. Objectors will be invited to attend the event to outline their concerns in detail.

A club spokesman said: “The number of objections is entirely in line with the size of the proposal.”

The scale of the development means the planning application will be determined by the full council, rather than the planning committee, with Scottish Government ministers to be notified afterwards.

A council spokeswoman said: “There will be a pre-determination hearing, the date of which will be announced in due course.”

I wouldn't worry about any of this, it's standard procedure to hold a public consultation when you receive more thana handful of objections.  The community council chairman will only have any clout if he has his local councillor on board - it is the committee of councillors who make the final decision, and Milne "the property tycoon", whatever your thoughts on him as a football chairman, will have done his homework beforehand.