Saturday 4 May 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v St Johnstone

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

New stadium thread

Not even going to bother with the finances....  :-\

From artists impressions it does look very good & I think I would be a major coup if AFC manages to get a new stadium like it... I am a bit sceptical that the finished article will be the same though. Some fairly major points however:

Transport... This has been done to death  - but the fact remains that unless you are driving up from the south, the stadium will be a major pain in the arse to get to & away from games.  For those that do drive from the south i don't fancy your chances finding a parking space close by....

Crowd segregation pre/post match....As with any out of town stadium - its a bowl with no 'fan channelling' streets away from it.  this won't be a problem for 9 out of the 11 teams that visit, but when the OF come to town it could be a different story.. Having been to the riverside a few time when Newcastle and Sunderland were visiting & witnessed the problems that occur when you have large groups of fans let loose in the same vicinity, i could see AFC's police bill for these fixtures rising..  Short of keeping away fans in I don't see a way round this, but even the 15 min dispersal time doesn't really do the job, people that want trouble will just hang about outside..

As an aside - a way for AFC to make an absolute killing money wise would be to build several bars around the stadium  - given the location I'd guess they'd be pretty popular & it would be a captive audience.

From artists impressions it does look very good & I think I would be a major coup if AFC manages to get a new stadium like it... I am a bit sceptical that the finished article will be the same though. Some fairly major points however:

Transport... This has been done to death  - but the fact remains that unless you are driving up from the south, the stadium will be a major pain in the arse to get to & away from games.  For those that do drive from the south i don't fancy your chances finding a parking space close by....

Crowd segregation pre/post match....As with any out of town stadium - its a bowl with no 'fan channelling' streets away from it.  this won't be a problem for 9 out of the 11 teams that visit, but when the OF come to town it could be a different story.. Having been to the riverside a few time when Newcastle and Sunderland were visiting & witnessed the problems that occur when you have large groups of fans let loose in the same vicinity, i could see AFC's police bill for these fixtures rising..  Short of keeping away fans in I don't see a way round this, but even the 15 min dispersal time doesn't really do the job, people that want trouble will just hang about outside..

As an aside - a way for AFC to make an absolute killing money wise would be to build several bars around the stadium  - given the location I'd guess they'd be pretty popular & it would be a captive audience.

I would hope so - I've always said I would rather pour money for beers into the club than I would some shitty bar in the city. Even if it was a bit dearer.

I see what you're saying but then again if people want trouble they'll have it no matter how hard you try to prevent it. Keeping away fans in for 15 minutes is as much as we could stretch to doing I reckon.

I would hope so - I've always said I would rather pour money for beers into the club than I would some shitty bar in the city. Even if it was a bit dearer.

would it really be worth it for the club to do this though? Cost of building and furnishing it, cost of staffing, cost of rates/heating/lighting, cost of goods to sell... and it'll only be open once every two weeks on average, and shut during the whole of the summer.

would it really be worth it for the club to do this though? Cost of building and furnishing it, cost of staffing, cost of rates/heating/lighting, cost of goods to sell... and it'll only be open once every two weeks on average, and shut during the whole of the summer.

I think there would be a return on it the season it opens.

The mark up would have to be hefty.

You mean like the mark up on the shite they sell at the kiosks? I can't see a high mark up being a problem to AFC. The fans will probably still buy as they'll have next to no other options close to the ground.

Aye Penfold you're probably right. I can't help but feel the club could make more money if they handled everything like catering, hospitality and club shops themselves.

No, because that isn't AFC who decide that.

Aye I know but only because they gave the responsibility to someone else. It's the same idea though.