Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Alan Gow a target

Gow, Riordan......... Bus, Duff.

Do we notice the difference between what we want and what we get?

We missed out on a few players I would have taken - Lappin, Stephen Hughes, Paul Gallacher at Dunf. for example - I hope JC and WM have signings lined up as 1/2 a team are leaving in about 8 weeks.

Guest swaddon

I've always been an admirer of Gow, but I can't see him coming to Pittodrie, and if he does, he'll probably turn out to be a useless waste of time. I was excited when we signed Crawford, Lovell and McNamara, and look what happened to them.

One of the few carrots we could offer players to persuade them to come here was Europe, and that's sadly gone now.  But I remember a few months back someone posting here that good players will always want to play for Aberdeen, and it's true we won't stick for a half decent squad, but if we want to make any sort of progress I hope the Board realise we need a blinding domestic season in 2008/09.  The time is right for investment in the first team squad.

We, the paying customers, can accept pish poor perfomances week in week out if the team are getting results.  However the fans will soon stop coming back if we continue to suffer embarrassing defeats like the one this weekend.

Effort and Bravery are qualities any player worth his salt will have, but at the moment we dont even have that.  Anybody that moves on must be replaced with a better player.  We need carefully selected players coming in, hardmen and flair players, and at least one player that will give the red army genuine hope for the future.

No more Mairs and Duffs.

Or we're on the slippery slope to who knows where.

Lets face it.

To distract us fans from Saturday's "debacle" their's going to be lots of talk of "names" we're interested in signing. >:D

I'm waiting for "we're 'looking at' Gow/Riordan/Elliot/Totti/Torres....etc" >:D

We recruiting new dancers for pre match  ???

One of the few carrots we could offer players to persuade them to come here was Europe, and that's sadly gone now.  But I remember a few months back someone posting here that good players will always want to play for Aberdeen, and it's true we won't stick for a half decent squad, but if we want to make any sort of progress I hope the Board realise we need a blinding domestic season in 2008/09.  The time is right for investment in the first team squad.

We, the paying customers, can accept pish poor perfomances week in week out if the team are getting results.  However the fans will soon stop coming back if we continue to suffer embarrassing defeats like the one this weekend.

Effort and Bravery are qualities any player worth his salt will have, but at the moment we dont even have that.  Anybody that moves on must be replaced with a better player.  We need carefully selected players coming in, hardmen and flair players, and at least one player that will give the red army genuine hope for the future.

No more Mairs and Duffs.

Or we're on the slippery slope to who knows where.

Bravo to that. I mean, it doesn't have to be anyone fancy. So long as they show a bit of heart and a bit of determination, that'll do for many of us. I mean, Paul Sheerin caught our collective imaginations for half a season!!!! The majority of us were a bit miffed that Tosh left us.

Right now I'd rather we had Tosh and Sheerin than the big names of Severin and McNamara.

Harry Potter in for Gow as well...... what a fucking surprise >:(

I think, in fairness, if he wasn't, he wouldn't be doing his job.

Not sure whether you are referring to Utd picking up on our signing targets, or if it is just general frustration, but Gow isn't exactly a secret, and any manager of a half decent SPL side should be considering this IMO.

Dons on hunt for Gow and goalie

Jimmy targets new faces

By Charlie Allan  :wave:

Published: 18/04/2008

THE Dons are lining up a summer swoop for Rangers midfielder Alan Gow.

Manager Jimmy Calderwood has also been linked with move for Dutch keeper Stefan Postma.

Gow has failed to get established at Ibrox since moving to the Gers from Falkirk on a free transfer last summer.

Calderwood failed with a bid to sign the 25 year-old in January of last year.

The Scotland B cap instead chose to sign a pre-contract agreement with Rangers the following month.

Gow signed a three-year contract but has barely featured and it’s understood he will be allowed to leave Ibrox.

It has also been reported that the Dons have already made an approach for Dutchman Postma, who plays for Jamie Smith’s old club Den Haag.

The 31-year-old is out of contract in the summer, so will be available on a free transfer.

Postma has a high pedigree, he was signed by Aston Villa from De Graafschap for £1.5m in 2002 as a replacement for Peter Schmeichel.

He moved to Wolves in 2005 but went to Den Haag a year later.

Reports in Dutch newspapers claim Postma has already rejected an initial approach from Aberdeen.

Calderwood is refusing to confirm specific targets at this stage, but confirmed he has already made moves for players.

“I wouldn’t be doing my job properly if I hadn’t,†said Calderwood.

“But it’s a waste of time asking me who they are because we are going to be linked with a lot of players between now and the summer.

“I won’t be saying anything until the players have been signed.

“I was hoping to get everything done by the end of May, but that might be difficult because there will be so many changes and a lot of negotiations to be done.

“I’m building a totally new team, so the job is a lot harder than when I came to Pittodrie four years ago.

“Back then it was just a matter of adding a few players to the squad and building it back up gradually.

“The changes are going to be massive this time and I won’t have any problems getting a choice of players.

“As soon as it was known eight players were definitely leaving, we were swamped by agents telling us they had someone up to taking their places.

“I could probably have taken a bus load up to Aberdeen the following day to have a look at! “I know what I want and – in the main – who I want.

“But we will be taking our time to make sure we get deals done on terms that suit Aberdeen.

“It will be hard work, but what will keep me going will be the thought of having 10 new faces in our dressing room when we come back from our summer break at the end of June.â€