Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Player update

11 minutes ago, scotfree said:

We are meant to be after Campbell from Motherwell. He's a good player, but do we need another midfielder?

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/2526631/motherwell-midfielder-campbell-on-aberdeens-radar/

If we could get Campbell for something resembling sensible money then this is a no brainer for me and exactly the path we should be following.

Buy up good young talent, proven at Scottish level, develop them further and sell them on.

Imagine Fergie, McRorie & Campbell as a mid field three in our league.

It would however spell the end of possibly two of McGeough, Ojo or Campbell.

• Like 1

I think that at some point you'd have to stop buying midfielders and accept that we can't have all the midfielders available in the league. Campbell is a fantastic player, reminds me of Shinnie, but we simply don't need him. A midfield three of Ferguson, McRorie and Campbell would mean ditching Wright or nullifying him out on the wing. It would be exactly the same as signing McGeouch in January just because he was available, overloading us in one area with little added benefit/improvement at the time. If we signed Campbell, then it'd have to be in place of Ferguson or McRorie, not as well as, but that wouldn't happen under McInnes. In reality, we'd see Ferguson shunted further up the pitch and revert back to the uninspiring, but hard-working, approach to games that we were looking like we'd finally got beyond. I'm guessing it's just agent talk to get a better offer from Motherwell or to try and stir up interest down South anyway. I think that we should be taking Ferguson to one side and having a word with him though. In my mind, Campbell is working harder and imposing himself on games more regularly than Ferguson and he needs to step up his game if he is to remain the "number one" midfield prospect in Scotland to build on his young player of the year from last year (McRorie also looks to be having more of an impact too). He's playing wthin himself at the moment in my opinion as Jack did for about 18 months around about Ferguson's age, and he needs to step out of that and start dominating games and opponents (instead of just winning "clever" free kicks). The game against Motherwell the other week should be the kick up the arse he needs and if he wants a big move down South then he needs to be better than the rest. Scoring penalties won't hide the lack of influence he's having too often in games. Like Jack, he's a very capable lad and projecting his/Jack's potential at his age, he can do better than the huns if he applies himself. I think Jack is a great footballer, but I think he should see going to the hun as a failure, as it would be for Ferguson.

Edited by RicoS321
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

I think that at some point you'd have to stop buying midfielders and accept that we can't have all the midfielders available in the league. Campbell is a fantastic player, reminds me of Shinnie, but we simply don't need him. A midfield three of Ferguson, McRorie and Campbell would mean ditching Wright or nullifying him out on the wing. It would be exactly the same as signing McGeouch in January just because he was available, overloading us in one area with little added benefit/improvement at the time. If we signed Campbell, then it'd have to be in place of Ferguson or McRorie, not as well as, but that wouldn't happen under McInnes. In reality, we'd see Ferguson shunted further up the pitch and revert back to the uninspiring, but hard-working, approach to games that we were looking like we'd finally got beyond. I'm guessing it's just agent talk to get a better offer from Motherwell or to try and stir up interest down South anyway. I think that we should be taking Ferguson to one side and having a word with him though. In my mind, Campbell is working harder and imposing himself on games more regularly than Ferguson and he needs to step up his game if he is to remain the "number one" midfield prospect in Scotland to build on his young player of the year from last year (McRorie also looks to be having more of an impact too). He's playing wthin himself at the moment in my opinion as Jack did for about 18 months around about Ferguson's age, and he needs to step out of that and start dominating games and opponents (instead of just winning "clever" free kicks). The game against Motherwell the other week should be the kick up the arse he needs and if he wants a big move down South then he needs to be better than the rest. Scoring penalties won't hide the lack of influence he's having too often in games. Like Jack, he's a very capable lad and projecting his/Jack's potential at his age, he can do better than the huns if he applies himself. I think Jack is a great footballer, but I think he should see going to the hun as a failure, as it would be for Ferguson.

A very sensible and articulate post Rico.

You have stripped the emotion out of it and raise a number of valid points which upon reflection I agree with. 

My failing is simply that I initially got carried away with the idea that we could potentially secure the services of this talented young player without fully thinking through the knock on implications in terms of formations etc.

If however come January the bids start coming in for Ferguson and they are at a level acceptable to us then that changes matters again.

You sir, are the thinker on here Rico

Wondering if this means Cosgrove maybe away if we are even contemplating a move now for Campbell. Agree with most of what Rico said about Ferguson seems to be in a comfort zone not quite regressing yet. Not sure where Campbell fits in the current 3-4-3 or whatever it is wont accommodate Campbell, Ferg and Mcrorie , without blunting the dynamism of Wright and Hedges

Feels like whether it is McGeough or Cosgrove potentially on the way out the Covid-19 Eight are slowly but surely getting moved on quietly.  Bryson having his contract ripped up McKenna sold for peanuts.  Anderson and Devlin not looking like getting a game anytime soon plus Kennedy being used sparingly.  I for one if this is true welcome everything that is apparently unfolding.  I'm having nobody embarrass my football team global pandemic happening or not.         

4 minutes ago, SeeBass said:

Feels like whether it is McGeough or Cosgrove potentially on the way out the Covid-19 Eight are slowly but surely getting moved on quietly.  Bryson having his contract ripped up McKenna sold for peanuts.  Anderson and Devlin not looking like getting a game anytime soon plus Kennedy being used sparingly.  I for one if this is true welcome everything that is apparently unfolding.  I'm having nobody embarrass my football team global pandemic happening or not.         

Currently injured SeeBass

In defence of Ferguson, he is still a young lad who has played in a fairly shite midfield since his arrival. He now has McRorie, who I actually rate higher than Ferguson, alongside him and will be interesting to see how their pairing in the middle blossoms over the coming months, even more so with our apparent change in style of play.

I also think Fergie played much worse at the start of last season, but if I remember correctly he got a sending off which forced him to miss a couple of games and he seem to benefit from the break and was far better when he returned to the team.

Thinking out of the box a little, do we maybe see McCrorie as McKenna's replacement at the back (obviously more right sided and Hoban/Considine the left) and Campbell partnering Ferguson in midfield? Alternatively, Ojo and McGeough are gone in the summer, correct? Having Campbell signed now replacing them is not too many players, and playing two from Ferguson, McCrorie, and Campbell is a good thing.

4 minutes ago, tup1 said:

Keep seeing us linked with midfield players but we need a centre half urgently.

As I mentioned above, does McInnes maybe see McCrorie moving back there to replace McKenna??? He's been great in midfield but maybe it's easier to find a quality midfielder right now than defender hence moving McCrorie?

I like McCrorie but he's no McKenna. I don't see him as a centre half, he should play in midfield. Although Kenny Jackett thinks his long term position should be right back.

To me he's a central midfield player in the long term.

We should sign a centre back. It should be a Scottish player if at all possible. So that limits us to a few options, I'd be happy with Findlay or Gallagher from the SPFL. I'm not sure if there are any decent options in the Championship.

7 hours ago, flooter said:

I'd take Campbell from Motherwell in a heartbeat, was very impressive in our 3-0 loss, made Fergie look a bit shit. Punt ojo keep McGeouch and Campbell.  (Good) Competition for places is something we haven't had in a long time. 

I don't think what you describe would be good competition for places, it would be overloading. One that results in shoe horning (by McInnes). The problem we have is that in the centre of the park, McInnes always has guy(s) that play the ninety minutes unless injured or at risk of red card. Jack, McLean, Shinnie, Ferguson, now McRorie are guys that aren't coming off that pitch. McGeouch is now the perennial "Wright-replacement" on or around the 70th minute (and McGeouch would walk into most teams in our league). Our Campbell now demoted to an appearance every 6-10 games, and a sprinkling of ten-minuters here and there. To his detriment. I just don't see Alan Campbell as anything other than an all or nothing signing, one in, one out, or a change to a flat three in the middle. All whilst leaving us short for cover in other areas.

If the expectation is that Ferguson will leave eventually - maybe next summer - and Campbell or Magennis from St Mirren are identified as potential replacements, then there's certainly a degree of logic to trying to get them signed up before anyone else does.

In isolation, both of those would seem to be great signings but pre-contracts for next summer would make more sense than actually signing them now.

2 minutes ago, wee toon red said:

If the expectation is that Ferguson will leave eventually - maybe next summer - and Campbell or Magennis from St Mirren are identified as potential replacements, then there's certainly a degree of logic to trying to get them signed up before anyone else does.

In isolation, both of those would seem to be great signings but pre-contracts for next summer would make more sense than actually signing them now.

Actually, I think you're right. I think Campbell would be a cracking bit of business on a pre contract for those reasons. This is a make or break year for Ferguson. He has to be good enough to get a move at the end of the season. Jack staying with us as long as he did was a failure on his (and our) part and I think Ferguson should feel the same. If he doesn't get a move then Campbell comes in ahead of him and he's left to battle it out with McGeouch for the first sub spot, or McGeouch moves on.

I think the issue with Campbell is just timing though. I think it would be really unsettling to get him in now as it would result in Wright being dropped or McRorie moving to centre half. Any agent worth their salt would be telling Campbell to hold on for another few months, as continued performances will get him a more lucrative move south. Unless Motherwell are keen to get some money for him now, then I think they might hold out. We could do a buy then loan back type deal I suppose? That might be the only way we can get him. There will be an element of us wanting him so Hibs don't get him, but I think that is a dangerous way to do business.

9 hours ago, flooter said:

I'd take Campbell from Motherwell in a heartbeat, was very impressive in our 3-0 loss, made Fergie look a bit shit. Punt ojo keep McGeouch and Campbell.  (Good) Competition for places is something we haven't had in a long time. 

However, he looked pretty terrible when they got cuffed by the huns on Sunday. In fact, watching Motherwell in that game, it was hard to believe they beat us 0-3. They lost 8 goals in the next two games ffs.

I'll put that defeat down to shell shock at losing McKenna and having Ash Taylor in his place.

Not sure about being content with the squad centre back wise. I think we should be okay up front with Sam coming back and the midfield is top notch, but the thought of having Ash Taylor as one of our main defender's gives me the fear.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/2534386/dons-boss-content-with-his-lot-as-transfer-deadline-day-approaches/

3 hours ago, scotfree said:

Not sure about being content with the squad centre back wise. I think we should be okay up front with Sam coming back and the midfield is top notch, but the thought of having Ash Taylor as one of our main defender's gives me the fear.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/aberdeen-fc/2534386/dons-boss-content-with-his-lot-as-transfer-deadline-day-approaches/

Don't rule out one coming in yet pre window closure?

With Hoban playing as an auxiliary winger at the moment, I think we'll need one.

To be honest though, Ash did okay last season and I think we'd survive until January with him there if necessary. If there's a decent centre half available on a pre-contract that we could maybe do a deal on in January then that'd be okay. Hoban's new deal has to be a priority.