Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Celeb Deaths

fatjim

Aye I was even younger when Python first aired so didn't really get it but watched the repeats in the mid 80s and realised just what geniuses they all were. Would never be allowed nowadays of course. Utterly un-PC, the snowflake generation would have a collective heart attack at some of the stuff they did.

"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy"...………...RIP min

Funnily enough it some of it 'wasn't allowed' back then

The film you quoted was still actually banned from cinemas in certain parts of the UK until 2008.

Theres alot being said about the snowflake generation in terms of being 'too pc' but a quick look at what is considered acceptable in films and TV now compared to the even the mid 90s and its alot more tolerant and open than reported especially when it comes to questioning religion. Have you seen any calls for the pythons etc to be banned by the snowflakes?

What has (or was) been disappearing is the blatant racism, misogyny etc which was considered wholesome family entertainment however I suspect that will soon return to the screens given the current political climate.

And yet if you were to watch Not the Nine O'Clock News which brought the nascent Alternative comedy scene (and supposedly bringing an end to the "offensive" dinosaurs of comedy)  to a mainstream television audience, you would see countless sketches containing the blatant racism and misogyny that they purported to consign to the dustbin. Ah but it was all ironically...…… oh well that's all right then

And yet if you were to watch Not the Nine O'Clock News which brought the nascent Alternative comedy scene (and supposedly bringing an end to the "offensive" dinosaurs of comedy)  to a mainstream television audience, you would see countless sketches containing the blatant racism and misogyny that they purported to consign to the dustbin. Ah but it was all ironically...…… oh well that's all right then

Not sure what you are getting at with the NTNOCN reference, a programme which is not exactly top of the list when it came to repears on the mainstream BBC perhaps for the reasons you suggest, whereas my first introduction to the Pythons was on Friday nights in the mid 1990s followed by borrowing videos of the films.

I believe the first time I actually saw NTNOCN was on UKgold, a channel with a name that either breaches the Trades description act, or is sadly all too accurate.

I'd say its more likely the snowflake generation would welcome the Pythons if they started now as the humour is surrealist. The Mighty Boosh is the only 'modern' programme I can think of that followed a similar premise.

The Not the nine o clock news lot may claim credit for the alternative comedy malarky but there are plenty of comics from around about the same generation who will disagree.

Mark Steel certainly has some things to say about the hypocracy of Ben Elton and co.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...