Saturday 20th April 2024:  kick-off 12.30pm

Scottish Cup Semi-Final - Aberdeen v Celtic

🔴⚪️ Stand Free! ⚪🔴

Celeb Deaths

fatjim

I thought he died last year. Then read online (daily record) that he had died on Friday. They've removed the story now it's he managed to cheat the taxman by marrying his wife 2 days before he died. Should've checked my hunch....anyway he's definitely dead :hammer:

Saw that story and personally object to the 'cheating the taxman' angle. Finally marrying your partner of 40years 2 days before you peg it so she actually inherits your estate rather than losing 40% to the Government is not 'cheating the taxman'

Only remember him towards the end of his career, never struck me as being anything special. His protege at Leicester was Shilton who turned out to be phenomenal.

As an aside, my old man told me that Scotland were 100% behind England in '66 but that the non stop mentioning their win ( achieved by never leaving Wembley throughout the competition) at every available opportunity was what turned out support's stomachs and led to the ABE mindset by the mid 70s

Only remember him towards the end of his career, never struck me as being anything special. His protege at Leicester was Shilton who turned out to be phenomenal.

As an aside, my old man told me that Scotland were 100% behind England in '66 but that the non stop mentioning their win ( achieved by never leaving Wembley throughout the competition) at every available opportunity was what turned out support's stomachs and led to the ABE mindset by the mid 70s

Don't believe that for a second.

Don't believe that for a second.

A) He certainly did tell me that

B) I can believe it. I was born 6 months after that victory. People of my generation therefore were either very young or still to be born. Those that were adults either lived (possibly fought in) through the second world war or were born during or just after. Scots fought alongside English, Welsh and Irish against a common for and the sense of togetherness would still be felt in the mid sixties in a UK still really recovering from the ravages of a war that only ended 21 years previous.

It's kind of shown by the result of the referendum in 2014. The over 65s who lived through or were born just after the war were overwhelmingly No voters. The UK has been good for them since and they'll never change their mindset.

• 2 weeks later...

A) He certainly did tell me that

B) I can believe it. I was born 6 months after that victory. People of my generation therefore were either very young or still to be born. Those that were adults either lived (possibly fought in) through the second world war or were born during or just after. Scots fought alongside English, Welsh and Irish against a common for and the sense of togetherness would still be felt in the mid sixties in a UK still really recovering from the ravages of a war that only ended 21 years previous.

It's kind of shown by the result of the referendum in 2014. The over 65s who lived through or were born just after the war were overwhelmingly No voters. The UK has been good for them since and they'll never change their mindset.

I don't disbelieve that you were told that and I don't disbelieve that he believed what he was telling you himself. I'm nae calling anyone a liar or anything. I just don't believe that Scots were "100% behind the English" in a football tournament and I don't really buy that the wars had any real impact on support levels or that the 2014 failure of the Scottish electorate backs up the claim in any way. I have no doubt that some may have supported England but that number would've been a long way from 100%. I'd be surprised if it was above 50%. Many of the no voting cunts that I have the misfortune of seeing on Twitter were the same folk that give it "Anyone but England!" during a football tournament. The Pensioners voted No because they were told they'd lose their pensions. Not because they felt a togetherness with England or the rest of the UK.

Keith Flint from The Prodigy, dead at 49.

That is sad news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47442312

Absutely gutted by this news. Big part of my childhood was spent listening to prodigy. Was one of the best festival experiences I had too. Smack my bitch up and bouncing around in the mosh pit with serbs at exit was incredible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...