Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

What Have You Been Watching on TV?

Kowalski

Looking for some recommendations please.

We have finished True Detective ( Season 1 ) , Stranger Things, Broadchurch, The Bay & The Sinner.

We're looking for something similiar to start watching next, we enjoy an episide or two when the kids go to bed.

Mystery, Crime, whodunnit etc... all welcome, thanks.

True Detective Season 2, or perhaps True Detective Season 3?

Bloodline good on Netflix for that line of programme.

Amazon, Mr Robot been very good (if you can cope with Rami Malek's voice).

True Detective Season 2, or perhaps True Detective Season 3?

Bloodline good on Netflix for that line of programme.

Amazon, Mr Robot been very good (if you can cope with Rami Malek's voice).

We got very bored with Season 2 of True Detective, didn't think it was anywhere near as good and didn't quite grip us the same as S1, I probably should have mentioned that  :rofl: ( Might try Season 3, but feel the Missus has been put off because of Season 2 )

We will certainly give Bloodline a watch though, just had a quick look at the Trailer, looks good. Appreciate it.

All three are very good in their own way.

Not usually a fan of Kevin Bacon, I guess you're not supposed to actually like his character (which helps) but you do just because he's such a cunt and things keep going his way. Could end up a bit of a classic depending on how well written the next few series are.

Tin Star is daft but it's supposed to be, comedy drama I suppose and Tim Roth plays the lead perfectly. Can't wait for the third series although not sure about them swapping a back drop of Canada for Liverpool...

Succession is probably my favourite. Another "Dramedy". Brian Cox is excellent.

Seen The Irishman last night, the 3.5 hour Scorsese film on Netflix. Superbly acted. Robert de Niro is a phenomenal talent. Can't say too much in case you're planning to see it but overall no regrets about watching it but not a classic either. Interesting without being captivating. A different angle.

I had one issue with this. Why was de Niro cast? He's got Italian heritage and even looks Italian throughout the whole film?!? Wasn't he supposed to be Yankee Irish?  It was a great film, but I think they got the casting wrong.

I had one issue with this. Why was de Niro cast? He's got Italian heritage and even looks Italian throughout the whole film?!? Wasn't he supposed to be Yankee Irish?  It was a great film, but I think they got the casting wrong.

Think it was partly his idea to do the film wasn't it?  Obviously great to have such a cast featuring, Pesci was incredible especially when he was pretty much out of the game.  Couple of American comedians popped up in it too and done great jobs, Sebastian and Ray Romano the obvious two but Jim Norton (hilarious comedian) playing Don Rickles for such a small part nailed it.

Anyways, Guilt that was on BBC Scotland a few weeks again was fantastic, well worth watching if you haven't already.

Think it was partly his idea to do the film wasn't it?  Obviously great to have such a cast featuring, Pesci was incredible especially when he was pretty much out of the game.  Couple of American comedians popped up in it too and done great jobs, Sebastian and Ray Romano the obvious two but Jim Norton (hilarious comedian) playing Don Rickles for such a small part nailed it.

I believe so, but I still think he was wrong for the role. The cast itself was great. But don't have an Italian playing an Irishman, they look and act completely different. I love de Niro, but didn't feel it was right for the film imo.

I believe so, but I still think he was wrong for the role. The cast itself was great. But don't have an Italian playing an Irishman, they look and act completely different. I love de Niro, but didn't feel it was right for the film imo.

Wow. That never crossed my mind. Now that you say it, I don't think it was mis-cast. It was definitely mis-titled though. Why the fuck did they need an Irishman anywhere near the story?

De Niro made that film in my opinion. Without him, the whole thing wouldn't have been worth watching despite excellent performances by others, Pacino, Pesci and the Brit hitting their spots perfectly. It was intended as an epic, I'm sure (given the richness of the whole cast) but the only epic thing for me was the genius of De Niro. It was tragic overall, but a very intelligent reflection on the consequences of crime. I think I just convinced myself to raise the bar from 6/10 to 7.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cure on Channel 4 just now exposes the culture that has infected the NHS since Blair started the ball rolling towards privatisation by stealth. Our NHS includes some of the best people in the country, people who genuinely care about people. Our NHS is very expensive of course and where there is a lot of money, there are big opportunities for "profit", or just old-fashioned theft in reality.

If the thick and the self-centered cunts who voted Tory were exposed to the truths that this programme and John Pilger's documentary revealed, this subject alone disqualifies any reasonable person to vote conservative. And that's just the NHS. It's just one more symptom of the systemic corruption that our media conveniently ignores.

The Cure on Channel 4 just now

Aye, t'was fantastic. Again, something that should have been shown mid-election. Not that it'd have made a difference. Cameron and the fucking clegg bastards did a hell of a job at the beginning of the decade with their "no top down" top down reform. Boris will finish it off in the 20s.

The creep has already started. Just like "hard-working" was dripped gently into every speech of Cameron, wait for "sustainability" to be fed into every NHS discussion. "Ageing population" you know. Beyond repair it'll be said. And folk will begin to parrot it back on social media and message boards to make themselves sound intelligent without attempting to understand what they're saying or from where they heard it (to the extent that they'll believe it was their own thought. Similar to the ordinary person talking about the state of the national debt, or concerning themselves about the GDP. Soon we'll have everyone believing that there's only one solution to the NHS issue. We can't afford it they'll say. We'll bankrupt the country. Private healthcare companies. It's the only way. As we slowly double the cost of the NHS, feeding the vultures. Maybe an insurance system will solve it? We'll still have a basic service though for those that can't afford it. Carillion can provide that, they know what they're doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the entire first season on the plane.

Not as good as Rick & Morty but very enjoyable to the point I stayed back on the plane for an extra couple of mins after everyone else was off to ensure I saw how the final episode ended.

Enjoyable watch.  Not sure the wife agreed, but hey ho.

Hoping to start Giri/Haji soon.

• 2 months later...

Currently watching the 1991 Scottish Cup final between Motherwell and Dundee United. Jeez I had forgotten how bad the tackling used to be and not even as much as a talking to from the ref. John Clark was a fucking beast for Utd he took no prisoners.

I am probably a bit too young to see Davie Cooper in his prime but was he as good as made out to be?