Saturday 27th April 2024:  kick-off 3pm

Scottish Premiership - Aberdeen v Motherwell

🔴⚪️ Come on you Reds! ⚪🔴

Todays fitba

I see the boy Kevin Nesbit scored a hat trick for Hibs today. I liked the look of the guy when seeing him play for Dunfermline last year and would liked to have seen us go for him, would have been worth a punt in my opinion, which granted isn't worth much.

That said, I doubt he is a McInnes type of player.

On 09/08/2020 at 05:51, TheDeeDon said:

I see the boy Kevin Nesbit scored a hat trick for Hibs today. I liked the look of the guy when seeing him play for Dunfermline last year and would liked to have seen us go for him, would have been worth a punt in my opinion, which granted isn't worth much.

That said, I doubt he is a McInnes type of player.

A mate of mine was really hoping we'd sign him, but your final sentence was why we probably wouldn't sign him. Very much a Hibs player.

45 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

In amongst the 14 hours of golf yesterday, I understand that a couple of football matches were played. Very disappointing to see ra Sellic two points behind the bigots-who-must-remain-trophyless. Did anyone watch any of it? 

Saw bits of the Killie game.

If I'm being honest there aren't really too many players in that Kilmarnock team that I'd have in ours with the exception of Findlay but they seem to get some pretty decent results (particularly at home) against both of the erse cheeks.

Just shows you what can be done if you put your mind to it I guess.

3 hours ago, manc_don said:

A mate of mine was really hoping we'd sign him, but your final sentence was why we probably wouldn't sign him. Very much a Hibs player.

In what way is he not a dons type of player? McInnes has signed all sorts over the years. What's a McInnes type, and why doesn't Nisbet fit into that? He's a 6ft1 striker, I'd have thought that would be perfect for McInnes? Obviously, once he'd got him here he'd have been converted to a wide player, but I'm guessing the issue was more of a funds one than not fitting. Having spanked a wedge on Hernandez, and with the Covid situation, there was no way we were paying a transfer fee without first moving someone on. January was the time to move for him, to get ahead of the opposition (even loaning him back to dunfermline for the remainder of the season), we spent ridiculously heavily on a right back instead. We can't sign every player that is a prospect, and Hibs will be our main competitor in that regard. The issue for me is signing pap like Curtis Main and James Wilson, which then makes it difficult to fill up the squad further with acquisitions like Nisbet. To me, Cosgrove was a solid enough striker - with a 20 goal return - that we could have taken some risks on a backup, either giving Anderson more time or looking down the divisions for a gem. Recruitment is a major issue for McInnes, but I don't think it falls into "types" of player, I think it falls into just pure bad signings and the overloading of different areas of the park, along with a weird fixation on players who've played well against us in the past. Guys like GMS, Stewart, Maddison and even Wilson (possibly Hernandez too) are players you wouldn't think had the workrate to be here, but they were signed regardless. With the Hernandez acquisition, it looked like the strategy might change in recruitment, with McInnes being less involved, which I'd like to see. However, I got the impression we might turn into some weird feeder team for our US "partners", trying out unsuitable foreigners whilst ignoring talent on our doorstep. I think Covid will see us revert to type and McInnes just in full control again. Something definitely needs to change, but we also need to lower the expectation that we can sign every single young/good player out there too and remember that a lot of players don't want to come North too - there is a premium to be paid in that regard.

1 hour ago, RicoS321 said:

In what way is he not a dons type of player? McInnes has signed all sorts over the years. What's a McInnes type, and why doesn't Nisbet fit into that? He's a 6ft1 striker, I'd have thought that would be perfect for McInnes? Obviously, once he'd got him here he'd have been converted to a wide player, but I'm guessing the issue was more of a funds one than not fitting. Having spanked a wedge on Hernandez, and with the Covid situation, there was no way we were paying a transfer fee without first moving someone on. January was the time to move for him, to get ahead of the opposition (even loaning him back to dunfermline for the remainder of the season), we spent ridiculously heavily on a right back instead. We can't sign every player that is a prospect, and Hibs will be our main competitor in that regard. The issue for me is signing pap like Curtis Main and James Wilson, which then makes it difficult to fill up the squad further with acquisitions like Nisbet. To me, Cosgrove was a solid enough striker - with a 20 goal return - that we could have taken some risks on a backup, either giving Anderson more time or looking down the divisions for a gem. Recruitment is a major issue for McInnes, but I don't think it falls into "types" of player, I think it falls into just pure bad signings and the overloading of different areas of the park, along with a weird fixation on players who've played well against us in the past. Guys like GMS, Stewart, Maddison and even Wilson (possibly Hernandez too) are players you wouldn't think had the workrate to be here, but they were signed regardless. With the Hernandez acquisition, it looked like the strategy might change in recruitment, with McInnes being less involved, which I'd like to see. However, I got the impression we might turn into some weird feeder team for our US "partners", trying out unsuitable foreigners whilst ignoring talent on our doorstep. I think Covid will see us revert to type and McInnes just in full control again. Something definitely needs to change, but we also need to lower the expectation that we can sign every single young/good player out there too and remember that a lot of players don't want to come North too - there is a premium to be paid in that regard.

Jeez Derek, this COVID business must really be getting your down at the moment based on that reply. A little touchy at the moment.

Outwith Rooney, who was a goalscorer and nothing more, his recrutiment in the attacking department has been very poor IMO. If he hadn't already had McGinn and Hayes when he came here I shudder to think what his tenure would really be like. Despite his goal record, nobody will convince me Cosgrove is a footballer, sorry Derek, just an opinion and no need to blind me with stats to try and prove otherwise.

I think Nisbet is the type of player who offers a lot more than just goals and even though is tall is not all about holding the ball up and winning flick ons from punts up the field, that is why he is probably more suited to Hibs as they play a different type of game from what we do, but as I said I honestly don't think he would have fitted into a McInnes team as too defense minded and doesn't look the type to be doing the Cosgrove/Main role.

We haven't got him though and the jury is still out to see if he can even cut it at SPL level, but as punts go I think he would have been worth forking out a fairly small fee for.

4 hours ago, TheDeeDon said:

Jeez Derek, this COVID business must really be getting your down at the moment based on that reply. A little touchy at the moment.

Outwith Rooney, who was a goalscorer and nothing more, his recrutiment in the attacking department has been very poor IMO. If he hadn't already had McGinn and Hayes when he came here I shudder to think what his tenure would really be like. Despite his goal record, nobody will convince me Cosgrove is a footballer, sorry Derek, just an opinion and no need to blind me with stats to try and prove otherwise.

I think Nisbet is the type of player who offers a lot more than just goals and even though is tall is not all about holding the ball up and winning flick ons from punts up the field, that is why he is probably more suited to Hibs as they play a different type of game from what we do, but as I said I honestly don't think he would have fitted into a McInnes team as too defense minded and doesn't look the type to be doing the Cosgrove/Main role.

We haven't got him though and the jury is still out to see if he can even cut it at SPL level, but as punts go I think he would have been worth forking out a fairly small fee for.

There wasn't a single compliment to McInnes in my post, just for clarification. You might have read a defence of McInnes, but that definitely wasn't what it was. I just wasn't sure what you meant by "not a McInnes type of player". Now that you've explained, I just disagree with a lot of it. I completely agree that his recruitment (full-stop) in the attacking department has been poor, but I just don't see the "type" that you mention. We definitely don't play to win flick-ons, as we never ever have a player running beyond the striker to collect them. Cosgrove has been our only striker under McInnes (I've removed Zola from history) that holds the ball up. Rooney was pish at it, May worse, and Wilson worser - none were signed with that intention either (I wouldn't think). I'd put Wilson in the Nisbet category, and maybe May, from McInnes' point of view (I'm guessing) when signing them in terms of type of player (not quality). I don't know what the fuck Main, Storey, Parker, Church, Goodwillie etc etc. would be categorised as, but they're definitely nae guys who hold up the ball or win flick-ons and wouldn't have been signed as such. I agree that the current mindset would have seen the loon struggle had he come here. Basically, I think he'd fit perfectly in the way that McInnes wants us to play, but not in the way that we actually play. I also agree that he'd have been worth forking out for, but as I said, I don't think the board would have spent any more money after spanking £400-700K on Hernandez (depending on who you believe), which I think was a mistake. I don't think McInnes just didn't fancy Nisbet, or wasn't aware of him, I simply think he wasn't within our budget.

20 minutes ago, RicoS321 said:

There wasn't a single compliment to McInnes in my post, just for clarification. You might have read a defence of McInnes, but that definitely wasn't what it was. I just wasn't sure what you meant by "not a McInnes type of player". Now that you've explained, I just disagree with a lot of it. I completely agree that his recruitment (full-stop) in the attacking department has been poor, but I just don't see the "type" that you mention. We definitely don't play to win flick-ons, as we never ever have a player running beyond the striker to collect them. Cosgrove has been our only striker under McInnes (I've removed Zola from history) that holds the ball up. Rooney was pish at it, May worse, and Wilson worser - none were signed with that intention either (I wouldn't think). I'd put Wilson in the Nisbet category, and maybe May, from McInnes' point of view (I'm guessing) when signing them in terms of type of player (not quality). I don't know what the fuck Main, Storey, Parker, Church, Goodwillie etc etc. would be categorised as, but they're definitely nae guys who hold up the ball or win flick-ons and wouldn't have been signed as such. I agree that the current mindset would have seen the loon struggle had he come here. Basically, I think he'd fit perfectly in the way that McInnes wants us to play, but not in the way that we actually play. I also agree that he'd have been worth forking out for, but as I said, I don't think the board would have spent any more money after spanking £400-700K on Hernandez (depending on who you believe), which I think was a mistake. I don't think McInnes just didn't fancy Nisbet, or wasn't aware of him, I simply think he wasn't within our budget.

I should just have said DM prefers  cart horses to quality in the attacking areas. I think Nisbet has a bit of something about him, but from what I have seen of him still has a lot to prove, but he is also a player who drifted down the leagues and got himself back into the SPL for another chance which may give him that bit more hunger to do well and I think he may do well for Hibs.

If Sam is the best of a very bad bunch though, maybe it was a good time to give up the season tickets.

Nobody can convince me that Cosgrove is a footballer either. He should've been convinced to piss off when Lille can calling, with a heavy stack of bank notes in his hipper to get him to fuck.

That would've been a magic bit of business, a very rare time that AFC lucked out. His value is only go to plummet as he plays more games. 

1 hour ago, TheDeeDon said:

I should just have said DM prefers  cart horses to quality in the attacking areas. I think Nisbet has a bit of something about him, but from what I have seen of him still has a lot to prove, but he is also a player who drifted down the leagues and got himself back into the SPL for another chance which may give him that bit more hunger to do well and I think he may do well for Hibs.

If Sam is the best of a very bad bunch though, maybe it was a good time to give up the season tickets.

I don't think Sam is a cart horse, I think Stockley was a cart horse, and there's a pronounced difference between them. Cosgrove has a decent touch and can bring others into the game. He was excellent in the first four months of last season, really worked on his movement and fitness and his finishing was excellent. Exactly the sort of season-on-season improvement you want to see in a young player (he's nae much older than Anderson remember). Seemed to me that when we moved to the new training ground, he faded dramatically. I don't know if the extra shifts at the training ground were having an effect on his overall sharpness at the weekend, but he started to tire in games (like he'd done in the previous season) and that affected his touch, his temper and his concentration. He needed dropped and he eventually was. Unfortunately, his post November appearances stick in the mind for most, rather than his early season performances where he dragged the team along with him with his goals. I think it's a ridiculously harsh judgement of a guy for whom we've had a €3M offer and who has improved every season he's been here. Long way to go? Of course. Will be interesting to see how he handles being out for a while. I agree that he should have been offered a wee nudge to go when such a big offer came in though, as I think that should be our business model based on our finances just now. I also think the fans don't like him, so get rid while you can. I think the criticism levelled at McKenna is similar - and similarly unjustified - and I'd like to see him move on too.

23 minutes ago, hercule poirot said:

Good result again for the Edinburgh Celtic tonight. 9 points from 3 games, not too shabby.

Poor game though with neither side playing particularly attractive football. However 9 out of 9 is still a cracking start. 

27 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I recall, although it may well have been a hallucination that AFC started a season 24/24. And within recent years too. I don't recall that perfect start raising any expectations, justifiably as it tuned out. 

Indeed we did.

Eight straight league wins a few years back.

A mid week defeat at Championship side, Hibs followed and then we went on a run of shite league results that i think started on the Saturday at ICT

On 21/07/2020 at 22:32, tom_widdows said:

With 2 rounds to go in the English Championship it now seems Wigan are not the only club potentially facing points deduction.

Derby County and Sheffield Wednesday facing up to 21 point penalties for selling their stadiums to their owners to make sure they didnt breach the financial fair play rules.

Hillsborough was sold for £60million so the club posted a 24.6million pre tax profit.

Pride Park was sold for £80million so Derby posted a 14.6million pre tax profit

Further down the EFL has appealed against the 2 point penalty given to Macclesfield for failing to pay their players - They had already been docked 11 points for not paying the players and failing to fulfill fixtures with a further 4 point penalty suspended until next season.

If that penalty is increased yo 3 of more Macclesfield will be relegated to the conference and Stevenage will will be put back into league 2

English football is a joke

Macclesfield relegated and Stevenage back in league 2 after the EFL win their appeal. 
I wouldnt be surprised if Macclesfield went the same way as Bury now.

End of an era at Barcelona. Too many players who looked like their legs were gone and could not cope with pace and power of the Bayern players. To rub salt into the Barca wounds they will have to pay Liverpool an extra fee for Coutinho if Bayern win the champions league according to English press. How much have Barcelona paid for Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann for them all to flop. 

Really enjoying this format for Europa league and Champions league. Sadly don’t think there is any chance it will be kept. 

10 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Forgot it was on. Wow. EIGHT at Camp Nou. Hilarious. Wot wuz said?

The Bundesliga champions head into the match as favourites after smashing Chelsea, but Vidal was quick to point out that he believes Barca are the best team in the world and can cause Hansi Flick's side problems. 

"I heard something but did not pay much attention, I know the Bayern players and what is being said outside is not what they think, tomorrow they are not playing against the Bundesliga teams but against Barcelona, the best team in the world," Vidal said. 

"I understand the fans' doubt, in the league we did not reflect our level and that is why we lost, but we have Leo and other great players, that is why I say that we are the best team in the world and tomorrow we want to show it.

"I don't know if I deserve to be a starter, I think we all want to play and it is the coach who must choose who starts."

On Bayern, Vidal added: "They are champions in the Bundesliga and won the Cup but we are Barcelona and if we do what we know how to do, we will surely progress, we will try to leave everything on the field."