Author Topic: Films  (Read 138564 times)

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
  • Rating: -160
Re: Films
« Reply #1220 on: November 25, 2018, 11:38:19 AM »
Blackkklansman and Sacha are all about intolerance. The skill with which SBC exposes the stupidity of Americans is courageous, although the yanks aren't his only target.

Spike Lee's Jungle Fever is one of the greatest films in history. A must see for anyone who hasn't.
Ancient Sound, Modern Noise

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Rating: 75
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1221 on: November 26, 2018, 07:43:44 AM »
Been meaning to watch Jungle Fever for some time but keep forgetting about it.  Will try get that watched soon, Rocket!  :thumbsup:

Offline hebrew

• Midfield Maestro
  • Rating: 40
« Reply #1222 on: November 26, 2018, 09:23:16 AM »
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody

A Star is Born not so much tho Gaga was great

Nae Pasaran is my favourite film of the year so far - catch it if you can - true story of scottish workers who refused to repair the engines from the Chilean air force after Pinochet's coup - it really is a cracking wee film and true testimony to solidarity  :thumbsup:

Offline KennyFuckinPowers

• First Team Regular
  • Rating: 11
  • 2 Kinds of trouble in this world, living, dying.
« Reply #1223 on: November 26, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
Mile 22, really disliked it, thought it was very poor to be honest.

Ballad Of Buster Scruggs ( the Coen Brothers did this ) was pretty enjoyable as you'd expect.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1224 on: December 01, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »
State of Play, nearly 10 years old now and hadn't seen it in sometime but appeared on our netflix.  As good as I remembered it.  Not always a Russell Crowe fan but he was great in this.

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1225 on: December 04, 2018, 04:04:16 PM »
Cold In July, caught in on BBC iPlayer, thought it was fucking tremendous, well worth a watch.
It's a math class, the whole deal. Just like every math class, there's a clown in the front, and everybody hates this clown because he raises his hand, he's answering all the questions. What do we do? Move on. Just fucking move on, ready or not. He's deciding we got to move on, he knows his math, I hadn't even figured out about Santa Claus yet.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1226 on: December 09, 2018, 07:48:37 AM »
I loved Bohemian Rhapsody

Watched this last night. Superb film. A lot I wasn't aware of

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
  • Rating: 114
« Reply #1227 on: December 10, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
Watched this last night. Superb film. A lot I wasn't aware of

Like if you're sexually attracted to someone you don't know you can just grab their arse, be genuinely shocked that they didn't appreciate it but then 30 seconds later live happily ever after?

Nae sure it quite tells the whole story but what movie adaptation does? Still found it a thoroughly enjoyable movie and thought it was superbly acted by all involved.

Offline manc_don

• Administrator
  • Hi Chris.
« Reply #1228 on: February 03, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
Saw Vice and First Man recently.

Both really enjoyable watch's and would recommend them. Some seriously good acting.

Offline baggy89

• Captain
  • Rating: 42
  • God forgives, I don't.
« Reply #1229 on: February 11, 2019, 12:42:46 AM »
If Beale street could talk. Was OK could have been much more, in the end a little disappointing.
Green Book. Fucking fantastic. Funny, challenging (if a little easy, ) heart warming, great actors bouncing off each other, best film I’ve seen in a good while well worth it. Go and see it.

Offline hebrew

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #1230 on: February 11, 2019, 11:00:07 PM »
I've seen Mary, Queen of Scots, Vice & The Favourite in the last week, all very good, Vice is cracking & The Favourite very funny if you like that dark humour.
I love Oscar season  :thumbsup:

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #1231 on: February 12, 2019, 11:44:40 AM »
I've seen Mary, Queen of Scots, Vice & The Favourite in the last week, all very good, Vice is cracking & The Favourite very funny if you like that dark humour.
I love Oscar season  :thumbsup:

Interesting. I saw that too and very much enjoyed it. I happened to come across some reviews and found them to be almost entirely negative because of the historical inaccuracies. Here was me thinking it was a movie, nae a documentary. ???

• First Team Regular
« Reply #1232 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »
Gone Baby Gone.

It's a few years old, but I thought it was tremendous & highly recommend it.

Offline hebrew

• Midfield Maestro
« Reply #1233 on: February 14, 2019, 10:13:47 AM »
Beautiful Boy is excellent, base on true story of dad and his drug addict son, both parts very well played

Offline baggy89

• Captain
  • Rating: 42
  • God forgives, I don't.
« Reply #1234 on: February 15, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »
Beautiful Boy is excellent, base on true story of dad and his drug addict son, both parts very well played

Aye I thought that was really good too. Liked that bubbles from The Wire was his AA sponsor.

Offline Madbadteacher

• Club Legend
  • Rating: 44
« Reply #1235 on: February 16, 2019, 02:14:17 AM »
Just watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

10/10
CO100
H2S25
CH450
O218

Offline tom_widdows

• Captain
  • Rating: 30
  • Miserable Cúnt & Architectural Killjoy
« Reply #1236 on: February 20, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »
So hollywood has decided its time to remake 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' with Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson taking the Michael Caine & Steve Martin Roles

:hammer:

Comparison

I'm a man, and as a man I crave disappointment.

That's why I support Aberdeen Football Club & Scotland.

Looking for Gift to inspire a female relative working in a male dominated environment?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maggie-Georgopoulos/e/B072XFYNNL/ref=dp_byline_cont_pop_book_1

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1237 on: February 25, 2019, 09:55:09 AM »
Watched A Star is Born on Friday. Lady Gaga is a phenomenon, probably the best female singer of all time. As a film though, it didn't deserve to win best picture but it was a very enjoyable watch.

Offline Tyrant

• Administrator
« Reply #1238 on: February 26, 2019, 08:19:06 AM »
Watched A Star is Born on Friday. Lady Gaga is a phenomenon, probably the best female singer of all time. As a film though, it didn't deserve to win best picture but it was a very enjoyable watch.

Strong statement. I rate her very highly too (despite liking next to none of her songs). Her talent is clear and I can't think of anyone who's clearly above her.

I didn't think A Star Is Born won any of the major Oscars? Are were you stating that in agreement?

Offline rocket_scientist

• Club Legend
« Reply #1239 on: February 26, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
Strong statement. I rate her very highly too (despite liking next to none of her songs). Her talent is clear and I can't think of anyone who's clearly above her.

I didn't think A Star Is Born won any of the major Oscars? Are were you stating that in agreement?

I don't understand the question.

If you can't think of anyone to challenge her as the best - most talented - female singer, it might actually be true albeit that taste and personal preferences rather than data and facts obfuscate any possible ranking or rating criteria.

Having said that, I also struggle to like many of her songs. There are very few I would want to hear more than a couple of times but having seen her live (at the Hydro) and particularly the YouTube of her doing Imagine to open the Baku games, the woman is possessed of the highest spiritual talent and power. When I wrote that accolade, Nina Simone was the other I was thinking of as a potential competitor and whilst Aretha is going to be the most popular choice, Gaga's range and consistently staggering delivery wins it for me.